Ice on plane

Hey there is a reason i dont see ice on the wings etc anymore?
I am flying the fbw320
I also trying to fly on ice weather and i stil dont get it.
And yes i have put it on.
Thanks

Do you fly in icing condition? Meaning between +5C and -20C in visual moisture? The icing effect isn’t particularly realistic, I have it turned off, in-flight icing in real life looks nothing like that.

Hi @kujman. I moved your post here to the #self-service:weather subcategory where you have a better chance for your question to be seen. I also added the “icing” tag to help with searchability. Good luck.

1 Like

Just recently I have found that I was able to fly (with some reduction in performance) with iceberg level of icing on GA aircraft (I have only tested JF Turbo Arrow III and Improved Bonanza) but since both fly reasonably well where I would expect them to fall from the sky, I must wonder…

There is an option somewhere in the menu (don’t ask me where) to turn icing effect to visual only (no performance impact) or completely off. The icing visuals are completely overdone and portrait the wrong type of ice. It looks like how find my car in the morning when there has been freezing fog, this is not what icing looks like during flight. I have flown countless of times in icing conditions in real life, guess it looks cool but far from realistic.

Tried the “Visual Only” switch (in Assists), it is indeed possible to have ice buildup with zero performance hit which seems odd in itself, but no, I had the Visual Only switch off, so that’s not what I’m seeing. The ice definitely restricts performance, but only moderately where I’d expect utter catastrophe. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I wouldn’t bother about icing too much, when you operate anti-icing and de-icing equipment properly icing is a non-issue 99.99% of the time. Severe icing conditions are luckily very rare. Usually the performance effect is negligible so from that perspective it’s correct, the visuals are just overdone.

It’s just a game, so there is that :grinning:
My understanding is that the beginning of icing in a GA aircraft with no anti-icing or de-icing equipment is an emergency and is properly declared as one. I’ve only recently experimented with the JF Turbo Arrow III and the Improved Bonanza, but i remember times in the vanilla 152 where altitude loss was so rapid that it was not even possible to shed weight moving through warmer air quickly enough to recover. Wondering if anything has changed in the game over the last dew updates.

I encountered icing in the sim during my cross-countries in the Cessna JT-A (TD 172), and the loss of control is insidious - slowly but surely, speed and altitude drops, and power inputs even to the firewall eventually don’t do anything. I ran out of airspeed and altitude two miles from the threshold. I had no where to go, OAT was right in the sweet spot for icing and it was 100 percent precip everywhere all the way down to low altitude.

You are right but this thread is about A320.