I'd love to see someone come up with a good water color replacement

I think water can be hit or miss in the sim. Sometimes it’s spot-on, sometimes it looks ridiculous. Fly over some lakes on a sunny day, and they seem just unnaturally blue, kind of like the blue we see on the borders of these forums.

Small inland lakes are usually dark in color as a general rule, some green, some black, some crystalline, but for the most part, they’re not represented well in the sim. Rivers can be improved as well, as they are an awful shade of blue in most non-enhanced areas that I fly.

Please please remember the water Devs:-)

Some of the smaller water ways in British Columbia are not even water, but instead a solid tar-like substance that you can land on.

Which reminds me, I need to log that with Zendesk.

2 Likes

I agree… I think water is nice at this time, but it could be better! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Tropical water looks terrible. There is little color variation. Reefs are not visible. Trailers showed something completely different.

1 Like

They’re adding those in manually, since they ran into issues with the AI doing it globally, and gave pretty bad results apparently.

from the last patch:

• Water mask has been edited to display actual aerial image near the shore in some areas

They’ll continue to add these in future updates, but since it’s manual, they can’t do the whole world at once.

2 Likes

LOL! Not the first time marketing failed to match reality. FSX was famous for it.

LOL!

Water mask has been edited to display actual aerial image near the shore in some areas

It should have always been based on ACTUAL images, and not AI-generated fakery!

Jorg explained it pretty well in one of the dev streams. There’s really big differences in colour, reflections of the sun on the water, water colour, particles/algae in the water at different times of year. It’s incredibly hard to get to look nice.

If they just stuck in the ‘ACTUAL images’ it would look terrible.

1 Like

But all water bodies differ in color, so asobo should make somekind of compromise. Let ai generate colors for lakes, ponds, oceans etc. They have done it in X-plane and FSX, so it should not be a big deal.

Water is an actual sim object with motion and light reflection.

It can be removed through a mask. It looks just like the Bing maps imagery.

That’s interesting. I’ve published a few water fixes for some areas and it is such mind numbing, tedious work. I started after my hometown looked like it had a flooding disaster.

I was hoping that the AI would get better with masking water correctly. But then the sim sometimes starts doing crazy tree things after you remove the water. Then you have to remove the trees, lol.