ILS not working with TBM since last update/hotfix

Flying the TBM into Prestwick (EGPK) from Carlisle (EGNC) IFR and I can’t seem to get the ILS to function. It was a quick flight so firstly I used the inbuilt flight planning using the Approach (Automatic) option. In this scenario the ILS didn’t show up at all and the hitting approach on the autopilot did nothing. As that was the first time I had used that particular option I reloaded the sim and, using the inbuilt flight planner again, specified the ILS 30 approach. This time the ILS showed up but hitting approach again did nothing.

Is this is genralized bug or something specific to EGPK or the TBM? Anyone with similar tales since the update?

What steps do you use? I fly the TBM exclusively and never have ILS issues.

2 Likes

No problems here either.

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve experienced that and I fly the TBM more than any other plane. I’ve done a significant number of IFR flights with ILS landings without issue.

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues except for once I forgot to turn on APR mode from NAV. However, I’ve noted ATC handing out DME VOR approaches like candy since the last update and not ILS despite ATIS specifying ILS approaches.

So I flew the route without incident. I documented my procedure so you can double-check your own:

1. Flight plan EGNC -> EGPK; low-altitude airways; ILS 30 Approach; set cruise altitude to 10000
  2. Set NAV mode; altitude to 10000; set VS to 2400; set YD on
  3. Take off; gear up; flaps up when speed above 115; maintain 100% TRQ
  4. Turn on autopilot
  5. ATC gave me 15000 for cruise, so adjust ALT to 15000; keep TRQ at 100%
  6. Aircraft follows flight plan until just after DCS; ATC descend to 10000
  7. ATC descent to 6000 after RIPNO
  8. Set NAV1 to runway 30 ILS frequency 110.3
  9. Click PFD; set bearing 1 to NAV1; distance and direction is shown on PFD when airport in range
  10. Cleared ILS 30 via SUMIN by ATC
  11. Click MFD; Click PROC; choose approach and transition; click “Load and Activate”; MFD map updates
  12. Switch from NAV to APR when arriving at SUMIN
  13. ATC descend to 3500 before CI30; watch for localizer active; slow to ~160kts
  14. Just after CI30 and before FI30, autopilot switches from FMS to LOC1
  15. When localizer is 2 pips high gear down and flaps to T/O; reduce speed to < 120
  16. When localizer is 1 pip high set flaps to landing; increase throttle to maintain 85-90 kts
  17. Let aircraft establish on glideslope and maintain airspeed 85-90kts
  18. When approaching 200ft altitude, turn off AP and land aircraft
8 Likes

Thanks for posting @MrMooreySJ

Quick check on your steps if I may? Step 8 - I used to do this too, but the other day I forgot and low and behold the PFD switched automatically to the localizer - this was before I pressed the APR button (I’m never sure whether to press the APR button before or after the PFD switches to LOC), but anyway, my experience is that the PFD switches automatically without me having to set NAV1 to the LOC frequency.

EDIT - also I’ve tried laeving the landing to the AP, and that generally works too (I had one odd one where it lined up 20 yards left of the runway and landed on the grass! I put that down to a data error somewhere)

Pretty sure you forgot to activate the approach procedure…in plane proc…activate

I’m not sure if you need to do that if you set up the approach in the flight plan from the world map. In my experience, if you do that, it kind of “auto activates” it. I’ve never had to do that if I set the plan up in advance.

The JavaScript code does have something in there about if it has the ILS frequency set, then try switching mode automatically. The problem is, I don’t entirely trust it because the ILS frequency is not visible in the NAV1 or NAV2 frequency panel as far as I can tell. I’ve always erred on the side of caution :slight_smile:

If you’re a purist with the TBM, you should land it manually. The pilot manual says this about the autopilot limits:

• The autopilot and yaw damper must be OFF during takeoff and landing.
  • Do not engage autopilot below 1000 ft (300 m) above ground level in cruise or climb.
  • Do not use autopilot in approach under 200 ft (60 m).
  • Do not use autopilot for airspeeds below 85 KIAS.
1 Like

The thing I like about “Activate Approach” is that the map cleans up the original flight plan with the direct path to the airport and replaces it with the approach steps. Whether this is how it happens in real life, I’m not sure of course. I’ve found it eliminates any confusion when dealing with the idiosyncrasies of the flight plan implementation :wink:

Ah, OK, so that’s me in trouble then!I think I;ve done all of those!

I think you’re right about the NAV1/2 frequencies, but will have a look. I think those frequencies are shown in the touchscreen, but not sure if it sets them in advance of does it as it switches to the localizer

Good to know - I didn’t appreciatev that it did this. Still learning this plane!

Flew KDZJ to KMCN - Low Level IFR - ILS 05. Flew route without incident. Hard Landing again, no going fast enough. On some approaches, the ILS system will land the plane like a feather, others well not so much, thought it was, but did not, should just taken over, cancel AP/ILS 1 mile out and fly it in myself. Success, however, asked for ground parking, no response, and directions to parking were all screwed up. Finally just picked a spot, and shut down there. I manually input the frequency in the nav1 radio, and then the LOC will switch automatically, once I see that, I click “app” on the AP panel. If I don’t put in the frequency, not sure if it really got it in the system. The NAVLOG certainly does not show the radio frequencies for ILS setup. I create the flight plan in the world map. I don’t know how to use the Garman 3000 system very well, again, NO MANUALS on this thing period. On Soap Box-Everyone learns different, I want a manual, with steps to take spelled out as a test of how to use the G3000. I. E., Plan Flt from X to X, step 1, do this, step 2, do this next thing. I don’t like to watch how it’s done on YouTube, because they all go too fast.

Assuming getting credit for flight, that should get me up to about 33+ hours, but has it recorded every single minute I have flown in it? It should be noted, I downloaded the ILS 05 approach plate from Airnav.com (lots of US locations-Skyvector may have better Europe/world-for Europe, aint got clue on navigation/landing data), and store them on my D drive in a special folder. Because this thing is so buggy, I backup that folder weekly and sometimes more often, especially if patch/update is coming out.

MrMooneySJ - Appreciate the flight manual info on TO/LDG, from now on will just cancel and fly her in. Our local WX tonight is winds out of N/NW 10-20 gusts 30. Going to see if Live WX works.

1 Like

I’ll pay more attention to those values, too, and do some more testing. If it stores the value under the covers and then puts it into NAV1 at the last minute, then we’ll be able to refine our procedures and be in a better position to help others. Once we’re 100% clear, we can do a scripted ILS thread like the autopilot one I did a while ago so everyone can benefit.

If the NAV1 ILS frequency, or even the VOR frequency for non-ILS approaches is stored under the covers, then we should be able to change the flight plan or add the approach while flying and expect the aircraft to do the right thing when the approach activates.

…all of whihc would be nice :grin:

ILS approach SHOULD assign the LOC frequency to your Nav 1 and switch to it, but I find it unrealiable at best. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. I just manually tune in the frequency and switch my CDI source myself to avoid issues.

1 Like

Neither the real nor simulated TBM has autoland. You have to disconnect the autopilot and perform the actual landing yourself. If you leave the autopilot connected in APP mode, the aircraft is basically flying into the ground out of control. It might work once in awhile, but there is no guarantee.

A real autoland system will flare the aircraft and reduce power to idle. The TBM is not equipped to do either.

4 Likes

This is correct. When I set up the plan before I “Go Fly” the ILS normally auto activates. This didn’t happen on this occasion. I’ve had it work with other aircraft on other routes since. I will try it again tonight. Perhaps it was just a bad day at the office.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I will try this again later as other people seem to be flying the route without issue also. I have switched back to US imperial measurement and run other routes in other aircraft since with no issue.

1 Like