ILS runway XYZ

Why some of ILS runways have X Y or Z designations? Since I don’t know the difference, I just randomly pick one, and it never goes wrong…

Moved to #student-pilots:basic-gameplay-help

And

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/5899-why-have-ils-x-ils-y-ils-z-and-which-iap-types-are-missing-in-gpss

1 Like

X, Y and Z?

I only came across L(eft), C(enter) snd R(ight) so far.

And those are quite self explanatory.

Left/Center/Right are normally runway designations (e.g. 28L, 28C, 28R), while X, Y, Z are variations of instrument approaches (e.g. ILS 30 X, ILS 30 Y). On the world map, you can see the different variations of how you get to the final approach. This is in broad terms, but you can check the link in @CasualClick post.
You’ll eventually run across variations if you’re doing instrument approaches.
Regards

3 Likes

Yes it only means there are several types of instrument approaches for that particular runway. They always count them back from Z, so whenever you notice any letter it’s time to check your maps and see what your getting yourself into.

3 Likes

learned a lot , much appreciated!

2 Likes

I’m not at the level to fly by chart. Is the SIM World Map approach based on STAR? In other words if I use the world map to make flight plan, does the plan already include SID and STAR?

It does, yes. But approach charts are as vertically inspired as they are laterally and that’s not really included in the world map. I myself use Navigraph and Simbrief now but you can always just google them as many approach charts are freely available online these days (often just not updated which isn’t horrible in a simulator). If you start off the with the ICAO and the approach charts ‘EHRD approach charts’ you’ll almost always find a chart.

My advice as an old simmer would be to just study them as you go. Somewhere before approaching the airport, just pause your sim for a minute, turn to those charts online and see what they’re telling you vertically. It’s really fun to slowly understand them. After a while, turn to youtube and have someone explain 'm to you in depth. Happy flying! :+1:

1 Like