Im done with this sim on XBOX

I get why many folks prefer PC over Xbox, but it’s histrionic to claim it’s “not much of a flight sim” because Xbox users don’t have certain liveries or some 3rd party airports crash. SU10 has helped stability on Xbox quite a bit, and I am optimistic they can continue with memory optimizations moving forward for folks on that platform.

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with the game on XBOX and I have both platforms.

SU10 has proved, as did the original release on XBOX that the console is perfectly suited to run this sim. Once in the air now its really nice and smooth. The problem lies with the third party purchases. If that can be sorted out this sim will be complete on this console.

Yes PC is better because of the options, the wealth of freebies, the various marketplaces to buy from and the more complexity around add ons but XBOX plays a pretty good version of the sim.

9 Likes

It’s not just a few liveries and some 3rp party airports, the difference between the two is way more than that. You cannot do anything on Xbox that I like to do in the sim. There is no flexibility in the xbox version because its locked down. If you like it fine but don’t accuse me of histrionics when I cannot use many mods we take for granted in the PC version and cannot customise things the way I like too either. Graphically the two are pretty close but in terms of customisation, they are very different sims.

3 Likes

Again, it’s fine to prefer the PC platform over Xbox. But it is indeed histrionic to specifically say it’s “not much of a flight sim” because your preferred customizations are not available on Xbox.

4 Likes

Well apparently, it isn’t fine because according to you, wanting the ability to customise scenery, airports and aircraft and not liking a simplified version of a simulator that doesn’t provide that and highlighting those limitations is overly dramatic and histrionic, not just reasoned opinion.

Your response suggests you are offended by my view that the Xbox version is too simplistic compared to the PC version, but it is a reality for any simmer that develops and customises his or her sim and wants the flexibility previous and rival simulators provide.

I will leave it there. Not much point arguing about the differences when you see customisation as a relatively trivial feature whereas I see it as a vital requirement in a flight simulator. We clearly have very different priorities.

1 Like

“Not much of a sim” when talking about Xbox is entirely relative to the user. Just becasue you know that the Xbox limitations won’t suit your style of simming, that doesn’t mean someone else can’t have good experience on the Xbox, through a different style of simming. I agree that PC is much better, particularly from my point of view. I agree that the Xbox limitations just wouldn’t suit my style of simming. However, to say that it’s “not much of sim” as a general comment, is a tad silly, when there are plenty of Xbox users that get more than enough enjoyment out of it.

6 Likes

I agree entirely with that. Of course, you can have an enjoyable experience on Xbox if you are happy with the features it provides, I never said otherwise.

Indeed. However, you said “it’s not much of a sim”. There’s a difference between saying that it doesn’t come up to your standards, and “it’s not much of a sim”. For many others it’s a fantastic sim.

2 Likes

You are taking what I said out of context. What I said was "It’s not much of a flight sim with missing liveries, bare bones inaccurate airports, no ability to customise personal liveries or even install a decent number of 3rd party add-ons without crashes. Thats rather more than a simple “its not much of a sim”

Many simmers want and expect realistic aircraft and liveries at the airports they fly too. They also want good realistic versions of their favourite airports.

1 Like

It’s a video game. Just like Goat Simulator. It’ll only be a sim once it’s representative of real-world features, like a study-level aircraft such as the PMDG 737, or when it has VATSIM where you follow real-world ATC procedures. Which at this point, is still quite unlikely on console.

3 Likes

To me it’s a game. Nothing more. If it really were a simulator then I should be able to approach British Airways for a piloting job. When they ask what experience I’ve had, I’ll be able to say “Well, I’ve flown two thousand hours in my armchair in Flight Simulator 2020, so I must be qualified!”

“Oh, in that case,” they’ll say. “Welcome to British Airways!”

:rofl:

4 Likes

Call it a game or a sim or whatever else you want. It’s still entirely irrelevant to the point I’m making.

2 Likes

I think the game/sim argument is only relative to the person using it - to me its a sim, i try to learn proper technique, how to navigate dead-reckoning, how to use the equipment to its extent and so on, a game to me would be GTA5

It’s never going to be a real sim in the sense that you could count it as time learning real aircraft, even on PC - it lacks motion feedback for a start - something only available to the few with £££££ spare. But I don’t think that makes it a game.

However, there are examples of real planes being flown/landed by sim-only users so it could help :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed, only yesterday I was enrolled into ‘Ants Airways’ without much of a problem :joy:

1 Like

Leather sofa, 75” 4k tv, few beers……call it what you like I love it :smile: then others days I’ll lock myself in my gaming room and play on pc :+1:

4 Likes

Personal standards and facts are two different things if you consider the official definition of “simulator”

I’d wager that a great many people in this thread have never used Flight Sim on the Xbox based on some of the posts here.

4 Likes

Well, here’s my Series X right here, as type this on my phone. And I bought it specifically for MSFS 2020 before it launched on console last year. Then I went ahead and bought a gaming PC because well, I realised there’s no escaping the requirement for a PC if you wanna get a little bit more realistic.

1 Like

I started on the XsX. But shortly after SU9 I started getting so many CTD that I downloaded it onto my PC. I wouldn’t go back to Xbox now. Not that Xbox is “worse” than PC, but quite simply because I have purchased yoke and throttle that doesn’t work on XsX, as well as owning some dlc that is PC only.

The whole “game vs. simulator” debate is a waste of time. A consumer PC or console product is a video game, regardless of customization or “study level” aircraft in the product. If you prefer PC over Xbox due to the customization or type of aircraft available, have at it.

8 Likes