I'm Seriously Impressed

At the risk of starting yet another troll-bait thread, I wanted to pay MS and Asobo a compliment. The scenery accuracy in and around Greensboro NC is pretty nice! Aside from some missing roads that have actually been around for a few years now (a maps issue that has already been discussed ad-nauseum), the buildings and landmarks are actually good! Not only have I found my home, I’ve also found my favorite bar! It’s circled in the first pic. To the left of that is an Arby’s, then across the street from that is a Ford Trucks dealership. Behind the bar and also across from the Ford place is a John Deere industrial eqpt. dealer. All of this is on the final approach to KGSO 5R.

The second thing that impressed me is the Greensboro water tower that is a major VFR landmark. It’s right at 1½ miles from the center of the airport and painted in a rather distinct pattern.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing that makes all the other issues seem minor. This is the kind of “simming” I like!

40 Likes

100% agree here, for all its (very legitimate) faults photogrammetry really adds a lot to the experience for me and hopefully this is an area that will continue to improve over the years.

5 Likes

I’ve lived in many cities and states in the USA and was stationed in several places around the globe. I’ve explored many of these areas and each time my jaw drops more and more in awe. I can’t believe how real everything is. The buildings, countrysides, everything. I truly wish I could give every simmer the same experience I have with it. My computer is well above the max specs but my internet can fall short at times, but even in the worst case I am just blown away.

Of course I am far from bug free, but when I think of the fact that I owned thousands of dollars in addons (everything Orbx had and all payware airports from most reputable developers) and all that times 1000 doesn’t come close to this sim at default.

The weather not popping in and out and the perfectness of it alone is more than I thought I’d see in this lifetime. Once the bugs are fixed and no more lightning around the world it will be perfect, haha. My local Home Depot and CVS both have the actual banners. My city is crazy accurate (as are any place I know well enough to compare). For those places I’ve never been I compare to satellite maps and don’t see a blade of grass out of place. GA flying has never been this good and to think it will only get better. I had a list of over 20 airports I was hoping to see in P3d and XP. I would have paid anything for each and every single one of them is beyond what I would have expected in payware airports for such accuracy as MSFS has them (taxiways need reworks,but visually they’re perfect).

Can’t wait for my HP Reverb G2 VR headset and to see this in VR and finish my home cockpit. I’m more than patient and super appreciative for what we have here. Words just don’t say enough.

Here’s a screenshot of the flight I did last night coming into FT.Lauderdale. Sooooo accurate.

13 Likes

The greensboro tower. The letters printed on it, and how MSFS’ photogrammetry technology captured it.

I’ve seen exactly that happening somewhere in NYC when I was checking it out. There was a building near a church and someone airbrushed the word “gothic” on it (for who knows what reason). MSFS caught and portrayed it exactly as it appears.

I was speechless for about 5 minutes.

1 Like

In 40 years simming, both professionally and personally, I have never seen such amazing graphics. And that includes $100m+ sims. The fact that a $69 program on a basic home computer can do this never ceases to amaze me. And to think it is going to get even better!

9 Likes

It’s pretty great. Coming into my home town in the CJ4 tonight, looking at the landmarks and roads, seeing houses that I know. Ok, they don’t look exactly like it but they are there. Pretty cool.

3 Likes

Woah! My sim looks nowhere close to that. What settings are you using?

1 Like

Basically maxed on everything. After the last patch though it stopped my streaming HD data or whatever it’s called and everything looked plain. Not sure the setting exact name (on my way to bed so will look tomorrow). I though I was just imagining that I once had great graphics and it looked barely above FSX. Luckily I found the setting changed. It might have also been changed due to losing the internet the night before which is more likely.

My specs:
i9 10920x @ 4.8 (12 core - overclocked from 3.5).
MSI Creator x299
256 gb G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600
1600w EVGA PSU
2080ti EVGA

Sim drive = M.2  2-TB.
OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb.
5 Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's.
Liquid cooled (CPU only)

Win 10 Pro

Drives:
A: = Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2-TB M.2.
B: = Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD.
C: = Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2.
D: = Samsung 850 Pro 1-TB SSD.
E: = Samsung 860 Evo 1-TB SSD.
F: = Samsung 860 Evo 1-TB SSD.

Cool! Thats a beast of a machine. I should check this HD data, maybe mine is tuned off too. I am on High settings and it looks like medium to me. Yours looks amazeballs.

1 Like

do you have HDR on with this screenshot ? it looks awesome…

1 Like

I was flying around China and South Korea and there were a lot of buildings with blue roofs and I thought it looked odd. Went onto Google maps and it was totally correct. Whenever I fly somewhere new I check the same approach on YouTube and its no close to the real thing its unbelievable.

1 Like

Yes, congrats on making such an awesome application! It’s making me a better pilot in the real world too!

1 Like

Visuals are incredible. I don’t think anyone can honestly complain about that. It’s all the “flying” related bugs that kills this sim at present. But, yes, I too am impressed with “the world”.

2 Likes

HDR is built into my monitor. However, when I turn HDR on in Windows (as is required to get it in MSFS), the color effect on the monitor is awful. Totally unacceptable.

I would love to be able to turn HDR on in MSFS without having to do it in the Windows settings.

Complètement d’accord avec toi, les paysages sont magnifiques et beaucoup de monde à tendance à oublier le fabuleux travaille d’ASOBO, bien sur quelques soucis persistes sur le simu mails cela être corrigé !
Un ENORME MERCI à eux !

One of the very first things I did was to park at my local airport and take off to explore my small town area in the drone. When I took off and looked out ahead I noticed something. So, I flew down and parked my drone under the tree in the cemetery under which my Dad was buried when I was 18 years old.

3 Likes

Totally agree. No one else offers this level of detail - In my 30+ years of flight simulation, nothing has delivered this level of detail out of the box. Despite the bugs and other concerns, I will continue to applaud the developers and team for the quantum shift in flight simulation that THIS platform has provided.

It’s one thing to go to some new location and see great detail but it’s a whole different experience to see an area that you know well come alive in the simulator with all the detail that I would see if flying the actual aircraft. Amazing.

7 Likes

Hm, I wish my town was there in photogrammetry… You are a lucky guy. :wink: My town won’t be in the sim (as photogrammetry) for quite a few years, I’m afraid. And without photogrammetry it looks nothing like the real deal (apart from the layout, of course, but that’s pretty outdated).

i’m in new york city, so i was able to find where i worked in manhattan, my apartment (and my car in the parking lot!), my old elementary and JH schools, just about anything i wanted to find in NYC was in the game.

only real issue i had was the tree generation was out of control, particularly trees near to or embedded within roadways.

2 Likes

Yeah… and some solid bridges. But NYC is better than I have ever seen in a sim!

3 Likes