Impossible to download this update + why the PC have to run full speed during a downloading bar

Well, I’m now more than tired of all this ■■■■ update, it’s impossible to download normally, I’m not alone and Asabo doing nothing.

Fix your f#@! game.

By the way, I suggest you to learn how to code, and make a download bar that not running the 3D game in background for nothing, this should prevent a full charge of GPU for nothing and save our planet from a total useless emission of CO2 just because you are too lazy, this power used is just going directly in trash.

Best regards.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.

NO

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Brief description of the issue:

The download of the game is broken.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
Windows 10
Intel i5 10500
32gb ram DDR4
RTX 3070ti

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?

Microsoft Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

I agree with you.
I know Asobo is making fantastic things with this game but they must solve the updates problems.

This time I had to re-install windows 10 because I simply could’nt get the latest update via the store.
As for you, this is the first problem.

The second problem s that I have a 20 mb ADSL connection. The whole installation (initial + worlds udates in-game) took me one day and half. And, during this time, my graphic card was running at full speed !!
This is REALLY a NON-SENSE !!
It’s annoys me to see all this energy consumption wasted for nothing.

And I have noticed this problem since the first installation, one year ago …
Is it so hard to fix this ?!?

2 Likes

When you know an Update is imminent - BEFORE it posts - start the sim and in Settings - Limit Your Framerate. That will choke back the CPU/ GPU and keep things cool for the duration of the Update.

Just install RTSS (RivaTuner Statistics Server), add your FlightSimulator.exe and set your preferred Framerate Limit.
While downloading & installing MSFS updates i set it to 5FPS, which keeps the GPU silent.

1 Like

I can totally understand his frustration even if he sounds a bit overdramatic.

It’s very annoying when the installation gets stuck in a loop, and on top of that, the GPU gets utilized at 55-60% for no apparent reason. I don’t see anything else being rendered other than the download bar.

I found that the only way for the installation to proceed normally (at least in my situation) is to connect my PC on Ethernet. Updating or installing on WIFI is just hopeless.

Asobo, getting this game installed is the first experience users have with your product. If you have this experience messed up, you are giving them a clear indication of what’s about to follow.

If you resize the window to as small as you can make it, as well as limit frame rate via display driver, this can help.

Yes it a hotfix, to run the game in a window ,scale it to minimum, limit the frame ,set the resolution to min.This gave me only 60 Watt draw of my RTX3080 instead of 300 watt douring the downloads.
But to fix this, i think it is a matter of few lines of code, to disable the background rendering when you are in the content/download manager.
It´s a shame´, the game is released near a year ago,and they do not fix this.

1 Like

Impossible to find the Flight Simulator. EXE :expressionless: this game… is special.

By the way, i’m still not able to play the game since xbox release, and asobo sent me an email where they explain me that how to maybe get the update with ■■■■■■■■ methods instead of fixing the problem…

Thanks for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator Support today.

Unsteady connections can result in slow and/or looping downloads. The program is alternatively downloading and decompressing files and the decompression can sometimes take a while. If there are dropped packets/data corruption, this can sometimes cause the file to re-download itself in a loop until completed.

To limit download/installation issues we strongly advise using a hard wired ethernet connection instead of wireless. A wired connection greatly reduces the risk of packet losses. There are also settings on some routers/modems that allow you to prioritize stability over speed. You may also wish to try using a VPN, and experimenting with various regions around the world to hopefully get better results. Note - the decompression phase of installation can be resource intensive, so it is recommended to close all unneeded applications while installing. We do apologize for the frustration you have experienced in the download process.

WIFI
We do not recommend using wifi to play Microsoft Flight Simulator. Switch to an LTE or wired connection. This will help ensure that you are on a stable internet connection. A wired connection greatly reduces the risk of packet loss.

IMPROVE THE DOWNLOAD SPEED
To improve the download speed, follow the instructions from our knowledge base article: Slow download speed

DOWNLOAD AND DECOMPRESSING ISSUES
To troubleshoot “install loop” & decompressing issues, follow the instructions from our knowledge base article: Download stuck on packages / Install loop & Decompressing issues

Kind regards,
Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team
Knowledge base Twitter Facebook Discord SDK Q&A

Not impossible, you just need to know where to look. I’ll assume you are an MS Store user, so that would most likely be:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MicrosoftFlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe

The folder is protected from being accessed, so an elevated command prompt/Explorer/Application would be needed. In essence right-click on an application then “Run as administrator”.