Improve AI Traffic at Airports and in The Air

Amen! Great post! Echoes my sentiments precisely! All I could think when reading this is , “Boy, now that sounds like someone who cares!” My motto has been, (since MSFS 5.1) that pro devs should NEVER deny the armatures a chance to use their own innovative skills in creating scenery, aircraft, utilities, etc. Never know who gets inspired enough to go the “extra mile”, and becomes the next PMDG or ORBX !!
Absolutely great post man!

Vic

1 Like

OK, I havn’t read the entire thread yet, but am looking at the AI traffic in my sim now.

From what I understand, the sim can read legacy traffic.bgl files, so they can be added to the traffic folder in MSFS2020 and add it to the layout,json file?

I have installed the clinks megapack, so it would be great if the traffic file you add, if it references one of those a320 models livery, it would use that

So all we appear to need is an AI aircraft pack, that has most other aircraft and liveries, which I imagine can come from FSX/P3D. I have UTLive aircraft n my drive, so going to see if I can get them to show up.

I agree, the pointy nosed aircraft look terrible and the generic multi coloured ones, not a lot better

I am just trying to get my head around how similar/dissimilar the AI traffic system is to FSX/P3D. Once armed with this info, then a workaround/fix can be done. Is there a website that explains the AI system in detail anywhere?

It would be preferable to not use one that relies on VATSIM to be running, as I don’t use it (Not good enough, yet) LoL

Until I find a solution, I’ve turned ALL AI off

My 2 cents worth

@ChrisMorgan825

If you want some ideas you can check here (needs registration). The traffic layout of MSFS has a lot of similarities to fsx/p3d.

AI Traffic in MSFS (Some kind of rough tutorial - the risk is all yours) (alpha-india.net)

Apparently it seems to be working somehow.
I only installed the livery and Live traffic on. (And A330 MOD PMP)
Without multiplayer.
Unfortunately the LH402 took off from the wrong runway in the MSFS. ^^

Thanks NormalMonkey204, I will check out this site. I’m used to messing around with traffic files, just a case of how they are read and used in MSFS2020.

What a useful thread this is (The AI Group) I should be able to get a better understanding of how it all works. Highly recommended for anyone trying to figure out the ins and outs of AI!

We can get AI traffic to be way better, please vote in this topic for AI traffic supported by AIG, who have done very accurate AI traffic for previous sims.

2 Likes

I admit, I didn’t read all of the above, but I’d like to suggest that Asobo change their taxi route pathfinding to prefer a route with the least amount of turns. It seems like it is searching for shorting distance at present which results in some illogical taxi routes.

Is there a way to have the traffic not real time online without it glitching out the system?

1 Like

Just set the traffic at lower percentage. High traffic percentage can cause many go arounds, huge traffic delay at busy airports and low FPS.

I thinks that’s because the parkings in the airport is full or the airport does not have enough parking space for that AI plane.

AI Aircraft also needs ground services too (catering, stair, jetway, and baggage). They already have one which is pushback I think?

When you startup FS2020, AI aircraft shall be connected to the jetway already. If that parking has no jetway, there is no stair connected. Stair is connected during ground services.

3 Likes

After many hours of testing AI over the last days I think I was able to pin-point the biggest issues for AI at the Airports for now. This is nothing that can be fixed with some easy magic trick, it would require a lot of work and redesign at various parts in the airport design process. (The AI logic actual seems to work, it just gets faulty/wrong data).

The cause of this issues is quite simple: The airports are mostly designed to look nice (as real as possible), but without taking the actual AI Engine into account that needs to work with the data.

As soon as real world flight operations are pickung up, this issues will beccome more and more visible when using live traffic. At the moment you can only “stress”-test the the internal AI with external offline traffic…

3 Likes

This is like the Movie “Groundhog Day” for me.
It happens again and again in the FS development.

First the enviroment will be finished, then it turns out tht each and everyting need to be upgraded because the base is faulty.
Remenber the faulty Mesh in FSX, yes, you could upgrade it, but then the most of the Airports have been wrecked.
The faulty georeferecing? Of course you could use photoground, but then all sceneryobjects wher emissplaced.
And the AI Traffic?
No words, runway incursions, go arrounds, no logic on ground.
Yes, also there some guys spend hundreds of hours in coding, but finally they allways lost against the internal FS logic.
And yes, Roland Forster came a long way with his software, but at the end one need to overhaul each Airport FDE.

And now again with MSFS.
When (or shall i say “if”) Asobo will offer the possibility to add some AI Traffic that desereves that name in late 2022, hundreds of airports are done and it will look bad though…

2 Likes

How is this not the top of everyone’s Wishlist!? Realistic AI Aircraft and Liveries should’ve been a must for this Sim. Everything you’ve said is dead on. I will be buying the Sim very soon to play on Xbox Series X and I will be praying that a third party developer will announce this sim’s equivalent to Traffic X/World Traffic. Plane spotting in this sim will be my new hobby.

2 Likes

well, with 718 votes, I’m sure it’s pretty close to the top haha.

Hahaha true but this should really be tip top of the list. I’ve contacted the developers and some third party developers to see if there is any potential in a version of TrafficX/World Traffic being revealed for the sim any time soon. I’ll keep the thread informed of any developments.

AIG is working already on porting the OCI feature to MSFS, release is planed for Q4 2021

2 Likes

AIG will hopefully come this year, some real traffic that will finally come to the sim. I still don’t know how people can fly with empty airports or bad looking AI traffic that doesn’t represent anything :laughing:

1 Like

Do either of you have a link with morr info on this? I’d love to see it!

oh I seen some weird stuff at the airport…will take some screenshots next time. Sometimes there seems to be traffic on the taxi ways ,but you just can taxi through them.

other times when requesting a pushback the mob seems to start a poledance around the front wheel of my aircraft.going all sides & even vertically

& one time there was the image of an aircraft on the runway & i was waiting for like 10 mins for it to take off even though I had a take off clearance & later on I found out it was a ghost of a plane I could simply take off going through the aircraft on the runway

But ye i’ll keep my screenshot button ready for next time crazy stuff happens at an airport