Improve blending of photogrammetry with surrounding scenery

It happens in normal mode and I tried it again yesterday evening - same thing - confirmed by another flier with a different aircraft (I also tried different ones).
I have not noticed it anywhere else in UK/Ireland - just close to Ronaldsway and to the west of it.
Also the same areas have the same colours - bright green near the airport and purple on the opposite coast (west of it).

1 Like

I just tested this area. I also get the darker green populating in about 800 to 1000 ft AGL. Over 2000 feet they start to go back into the “normal” green terrain (screen capture in game 2K monitor).

Also, the purple… those I get too when approaching the hills (screen capture from video 1K).

I’ve actually never experienced this before. Weird how it pulls in/out those dark green tiles and the purple for the hills.

3 Likes

YEs I forgot to mention that when we tried it last night it was only below those heights. I will try reporting it via Zendesk.

1 Like

I’ll report that too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see this also. Considering it moves with you, I wonder if the streaming is using two different data sets (hence two colors) for two different LODs?

From what I see, that is exactly what it’s doing. You described it well. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you posted this (I voted and made a Zendesk report) because it was driving me nuts trying to figure out what’s going on. Most of the posts re: photogrammetry, LOD, and such focus on melted buildings and whatnot and I couldn’t really find anyone mentioning this weird brown/grey dark patch over the photogrammetry cities.

I got a medium-high spec computer, 2560x1080 @ 70Hz, run mostly HIGH settings with Object and Terrain LODs set to 200, no scenery mods. I got gigabit internet, confirmed that Xbox Networking is happy, and inside MSFS 2020 itself I confirmed that Bing Data and Photogrammetry are turned on and using data. Rolling cache disabled.

It’s happened to me in Calgary (see attached) and Tokyo, among others. Tokyo is especially a bummer because Japan is such a featured item.

Sorry for the double post but I just took a look at Calgary on Bing and it also shows weird brown blotches (far left) and a harsh transition from brown to green (far right).

I guess now that I know this is a problem with Bing, I can stop hunting around for solutions specific to MSFS.

Thanks for posting. I do think it’s the data from bing rather than anything “in game” as it were or settings related. Hopefully they can do a bit of blending or somehow apply some “brightness” to the PG. If you are only seeing PG in view, then it looks fine, but against the lighter background scenery it definitely doesn’t look great

There is also a problem with cloud shadows and even the clouds themselves in the ground texture.

Greenish hue is clearly seen in this transition zone between the downloaded cache and the regular (photogrammetry) scenery. Hopefully the roads will look less ‘mossy’ in the future updates…
Shows the value of downloaded cache!!!

This is the south side of Chicago near the lake

Report it to Zendesk and they’ll apply color correction.

1 Like

It’s pretty much anywhere where there is a transition between photogrammetry data and normal data.

I haven’t checked here lately but your example is pretty benign

Without photogrammetry data you have plenty transition zones as well, for example the alps

No color correction can fix the different times of the year the pictures were taken

And that’s still very good compared to places in Africa

Which is a problem with the source data (Bing)

2 Likes

The roads look green and that cannot be Bing data! I believe they can correct the hue…

Why not? Are they going to manuallyh check every road in the world?

I would like to know if I can use the SDK and redo the photogrammetry aerial and replace the photogrammetry aerial image to colour correct the usually darker grey look back to the surrounded areas

My home town city of Hobart Tasmania had the dark grey edge right up through the middle of the city it’s ridiculous

It’s it possible to change the photogrammetry aerial people or is it a case of creating an exclusion is this possible on photogrammetry

What’s the solution, I’m happy to follow a process to fix my home town, thanks in advance

I was actually flying over Hobart yesterday and noticed that issue, looked rather horrible even from afar.

I’m not sure if anything can be done using the SDK, but Asobo can correct the issue by tweaking the luminance of the photogrammetry portion of the city. They already did this in the past for a few others (I think with the Japan World Update), so I would recommend sending a Zendesk report. I’ve already sent one of mine, but they rely on the amount of reports when prioritising visual/cosmetic issues so do not hesitate.

2 Likes

For SDK questions, please post in the appropriate subcategory in #sdk-discussion

I’ll send a message to zendesk, thanks so much for your comments they are greatly appreciated :+1::+1:

1 Like