Improve Visibility For Multiplayer Aircraft So They Don't Disappear

Correct, I believe that it’s absurd having such a nice multiplayer possibility but with this plane “fade-out” effect as more you get close.

Also, I’ve noticed that on some planes the “fade-out” distance seems not directly linked to aicraft dimensions.

I really hope Asobo is listening and will remove this annoying behaviour ASAP, at least introducing a on/off setting in the menu.

Of course, like it is now, it simply kills any close formation flying possibility and it is a huge pity from this pov.

It’s not just the visual model, either.

Anyone that has either moved into, or been moved through, by an airliner, will know the model disappears, but so does the noise from the engines. It just winks out of existence, but occasionally you will be able to spot a brief flash of the pilot/co-pilot as you pass under them. :slight_smile:

Be careful what you wish for.
I reckon this could have a massive negative impact on game stability/frame rate. (Especially the cull visuals at distance.)

At best this should be a couple of options which can be toggled on or off by users.

Perhaps a double slider for distance at which player aircraft will in / fade out?

1 Like

I’m fine with it being settings for view distance and to turn the fading out on/off. I understand some airliner pilots will want it on and that’s fine.

In FSX, you had to manually edit some game cfg files to control these settings and even that was fine because those of us who wanted to change them could do so.

I am testing a potential fix to imported aircraft disappearing into the distance, so hopefully I’ll have some good news to share on that to those who are interested.

2 Likes

Agree with that.
We ( Fuzzy Flyers) experience the same phenomenon.
In addition of being able to disable this ‘fade away’, there should be an option to enable ’ touch effects’
In other words: If one accidentally comes in physical contact with a wingman, you should ‘feel’ such. ( crashing not neccesary)

1 Like

A large portion of the community on FSX would attend virtual shows hosted as such by the FSX Blue Angels or other show organisers. It would be great to allow players the ability to remove ghost mode to allow close formation aerobatics. This possibly reigniting virtual airshows once again from FSX to now MSFS.

For example from 2013 of which i participated flying Vulcan XH558: El Centro air show to fly this weekend | PCGamesN

3 Likes

When flying in tighter formations (especially with larger aircraft), when you get close to the other aircraft, they become invisible or partially invisible depending on the distance. I understand why they added this, but as someone who often flys in Multiplayer Formation Jet events, it would be very nice if this distance was decreased, to allow us to create more imprssive formation flights. Thanks.

3 Likes

(Ofcourse we are not as good as the video shows :wink: )

2 Likes

Has anybody got a tweak, file or fix yet?
Now that there is a helicopter i need the other players to not fade away when we park close.

4 Likes

Would love this to be fixed. So annoying trying to fly with friends.

2 Likes

I fly in a formation/aerobatic group called the ThunderFlys in TwoToneMurphy’s community. At the moment for our formations to look right, we have to fly with our reference aircraft almost invisible due to the ghosting effect and it makes it very hard to see needed adjustments and hold position. In addition to this, if there is a slight bit of stutter, either server-side or client-side, it can make the reference aircraft disappear entirely as we are so close. The only way to avoid this is to fly with a lot of separation, which I am sure we can all agree, doesn’t look anywhere near as good. We often have MSFS twitch streamers following us during manoveours with the drone cam and we do airshows for them, so looking good is quite important!

I would like to have the option to disable the ghosting effect, but still have it so there is no collision, so that we can fly much tighter formations and reduce the chance of the reference aircraft disappearing in the event of any lag/stutter.

Thanks,
MesonicLake

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree and would love for this to happen.

1 Like

Should definitely be an option.

So what is going to happen when 2+ multiplayer pilots try to spawn on the same spot, pilots don’t communicate their intentions, pilots don’t follow aviation rules/regulations, etc ?

This works well in low population servers like DCS but MSFS multiplayer is very unpredictable and extremely high chances of error.

Edit:
That is not even taking trolling and griefing into account…

I’m assuming the idea is that aircraft can be within touching distance of each other, without seeing them disappear off your screen. They will blend into each other. The current setup makes formation flying very difficult.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

3 Likes

I agree, formation flying is not easy when your wingman constantly vanishes. Maybe they can do it within groups only or some form of moderated mode with more restrictions and rules enforced.

1 Like

Yep. I think the simplest way is to give players the option, as the OP says. The ghosting/vanishing effect could be turned off, but the non-collision effect would remain in place for all. This would still get around the issue of potential griefers.

2 Likes

Or just make it a toggleable option for each client. Which is the idea of the OP. Don’t want to run it? Don’t. But for those who fly in formation, having the disappearing disabled would be great. @anon62478633 , I think you missed that it’s looking for a toggleable option, so your suggestions are moot, frankly.

3 Likes

Still its a point to be made and likely a point Microsoft already considered when making the choice to ghost clients by default. GTA has the option to toggle ghosting, look how well that worked out :roll_eyes:

I already agreed it would be nice and shared my “moot” opinion so carry on with yourself.

The idea is that there is still no collision, so aircraft still pass through each other as they do now, but there is just no fade-out effect. The planes will just clip into each other and be fully visible but still not have any physical effect on each other. It would be a toggle option that each user can choose themselves, not server-side or disabled entirely. For example, I have it disabled for formation flying but a streamer can still have it enabled (ghosting out as it does now) to help with griefers and trolls etc.

3 Likes