In-flight menus missplaced and unusable with Vive Pro 2

Hi all,

I just received my new Vive Pro 2 and have tried fs2020. My in-flight menus are all wrong… ATC — Map, Weather… they are positioned to the left for left eye and to the right for right eye so when you look with both eyes at the same time they are duplicated and also are not usable, not even closing one eye, I can not click anywhere on them.

They used to work find with my old Vive Pro, algo with Reverb G2, anyone else experiencing this issue ?

Thanks!

1 Like

Just set up my Vive 2 and I experienced the same issue. All functions such as ATC and map are unusable. Also , the performance, stuttering and slow frame rate are experienced. I had no issue withe the Vive Pro 1.
Q

Yes, I can confirm this is happening. For example, ATC or the Map appear double and overlapped and far too close. Only happens on Vive Pro2.

Press Tab to bring up tool bar then click on the cog top right and reset panels.

Turn on motion compensation in Vive console to help with stuttering, also reduce SteamVR supersampling/rendered pixels until you get the desired fps or frametime.

Thanks, yeah, figure that out. It would still be nice for it to work properly each time.

I just received Vive Pro 2. Hoping to upgrade from Oculus Quest 2. First pass experience was horrible. I chalk that up to figuring out Steam, and then working through “No Headset Detected” issue, which as of the moment, I think has to do with the need for OpenXR, which is theoretically available through SteamVR beta. At midnight, I finally got MSFS to recognize that there was a VR headset connected but the image on my Pro 2 had this small box that said MSFS2020 up next, and then as I waited the whole image pixelated into nothingness. I have a 5900X CPU, 32GB and 3080 GPU. Going back at it today, but this should not be this difficult. I’ll be coming back here to see what others have to say.

Yeah, it will be good. I have a 3080. I can fly with good visuals and smooth FPS. Start off with low settings and move up. Also, I fly with Extreme and Steam SS set to 3100. In game render scale to 90%. That lowers the resolution of course, but still looks good. Most of my settings are now in the medium to high range.

Try SteamVR SS at default 150%, the visual quality at that setting is just crazy good. Of course the game becomes a slideshow with my 9900K/3090 setup, but it will give you a glimpse of what this headset display is capable of when we have more powerful PC to drive it properly.

Looks like the Vive Console drives the SteamVR display settings, correct? Not sure what you mean by 3100. Can you elaborate?

Vive Pro 2
5900X

So, instead of thinking of Steam supersampling as a percentage, think in terms of how many pixels are actually getting rendered. For some reason, the VP2 takes an average of your GPU and then renders accordingly based on the percentage you have set. Anyway, to deal with how a VR headset handles rendering you need around 1.4 of the native resolution, so 1.4 x 2448 = 3427. For some reason, though, on the VP2 3100 works just as well. So in Steamvr settings, under video, don’t use auto. Make sure you select each game and see what resolution is being output. Again, this will be adjusted slightly each session, so set it once and check a few times to make sure it is within the proper range. I have an RTX 3080 and can output at least 3100 in every game … accept MSFS 2020. But, I leave it at 3100 in Steam and then downsample in game via the rendering scale option in graphics settings.

So you downsample in the MSFS VR Graphics setting to match the ~3100?

What does the Vive Console do? It also has settings, does it override SteamVR or is it the other way around? Three different resolution setting locations: Vive Console, SteamVR and MSFS VR graphics. It is so ■■■■ tedious to constantly have to restart MSFS. It takes forever to load. I’ll give your suggestion a shot. To be honest, the Vive Pro 2 just seems flaky. I finally got it running on a leg of one of the Bush trips and everything was fine, and then the headset just went black – three times. I had to start the leg again which is kind of annoying. At this point, I have already requested to return VP2. I may give it another day or two, but Quest 2 seems to be much stabler product with, unfortunately, a bit of blurriness compared to VP2.

I set SteamVR to 3080 (as close to 3100 as I could get it) and render scaling in MSFS to 100 (3080x3080). Got a smooth flight without any blackouts! Just left Vive Console to “Let Console decide”. So thanks for the assist. I will gradually up the various settings from Off to Low to Medium, etc. prior to each flight. Will not mess around with these settings while I am flying around.

I guess I could try to up the 3100 to 3427 to max out the 2448 x 2448 in the VP2, but sounds like you tried that and didn’t see the difference. Obviously no reason to push the GPU (3080) if no qualitative difference in the experience.

Also, thanks for tip on resetting the panels.

We’ve really gotten off topic here. I didn’t mean to take us down this road.

PD, I don’t in-game downsample to reach 3100. I start with 3100 in Steam and then down sample into around 2400 in game (I think this is what it is). Right now, I am at 70% of in game rendering scale if I fly from Biggin Hill to London City (for example).

Regarding the console, I am not fully clear on the rendering pipeline, so I leave mine on extreme. But regarding yours statement of restarting MSFS, one thing it does that is nice is let us ctrl-tab in and out of VR. So, when you need to change Steam VR settings, just ctrl-tab out of VR in MSFS, then make your Steam VR changes, restart Steam VR and the Vive console, then ctrl-tab back into VR. I never restart MSFS, unless it crashes.

I just read your second post. Great! You can now go in-game and play with graphics settings. Truth be told, if you are flying over a city like London or Manhattan you may need to lower render scale, rather than if you are flying high or just flying over open land.

My current fav settings for 9900K/RTX3090.
Headset: 90Hz, SteamSS 150%, per-app SS 100%.
MSFS: rendering scale 70%, mostly high settings especially textures and objects but medium on postprocessings.

Excellent image quality still when compared to 100% rendering (which is phenomenal but everything becomes a slideshow). Vastly superior visual compared to my Valve Index or Vive Pro 1.

Do you do anything with the Nvidia control panel or let app decide? I had 3080 set up for Oculus settings, but cleared those out when I switched to VP2. Image quality definitely better than Q2. Still a little unstable getting in to VR with Vive, but seems to be getting better.

The only change I did with NVIDIA setting is Prefer maximum performance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.