Incredible slow (initial) startup

Already did, community folder is empty.

I’d rather keep the addons installed and wait the extended time

I know you did … but I think you have bigger problems

The other guy should try it and that also means not starting AIG, Navigraph, Vatsim etc. until after the sim has fully loaded.

SFC /scannow found nothing :frowning:

Then why complain on this thread?

What is your cpu doing during these pauses?

CPU is doing nothing, neither is GPU, nor anything else. It just appears to be … well …waiting. It eventually starts up, but it’s just crazy long (last boot I checked was over 9 mins). This is with an empty community folder, nothing running in the background that’s not needed.

It did work fine right after the update, so not quite sure what happened. Something must have mixed something up. Only thing I did was download the Kodiak airplane and Orbx Sydney scenery. Tried to remove these, same problem.

You do know that everything in startup can be safely disabled, they wouldn’t be there otherwise.
Anyway check your firewall settings that MSFS is whitelisted

Just checked that too. The sim just seem to “stall” during the loading process. Performance in-game is even pretty decent once I’m in. Just can’t figure what is causing the slow (initial) load.

Check your content manager for any updates, it sounds like there’s something in there giving problems

Just did. There’s no updates available. Just went into the sim, deleted the 3rd party stuff I bought, same issue. The sim loads, and then gets stuck at this screen. Task manager shows almost no cpu activity, nor disk activity. It sits there for about 5mins, and then goes to the menu.

Once in the game, it’s pretty normal. Going into a flight usually 1min or so.

Ah I see you are a Flemish speaker … so I guess I have to ask about language packs, time settings etc? It could just be MSFS hasn’t updated some language file or other in which case you should contact Zendesk.

Don’t think that’s the issue here. Kinda stupid the loading screen doesn’t show which file it’s loading, or that there isn’t a log file to check afterwards. Would be interesting to see where the sim gets ‘stuck’ or what file. Guess I’ll just have to live with it, and start the sim 10mins before I actually want to use it.

Good luck … and keep checking for mod updates, I’m pretty sure than some will be needed for them to work properly

Well, pardon me for offering a suggestion. I can see that doing such a difficult thing would be challenging and expensive, so I can see why you might not give it a try. I do hope other people suggest things you understand.

beezzez, no reason to react this way. I tried what you suggested. didn’t help. I thought I was onto something with the so called “killer software” for my nic which had some setting lowering internet speeds but that doesn’t seem to be the reason it’s so slow.

I’m currently redownloading the sim, it’s the only thing I can think that might help apart from doing a complete reinstall of my windows11. I hope somehow one of the downloaded packages got corrupted resulting in a (way too long) check while starting up.

Strange thing is, once I’m in the sim, everything works fine. So ‘something’ seems to be bothering the program to startup in a normal fashion. Due to a lack of startup-logs, there’s no knowing what file might be the cause. Might as well be soms obscure DLL that got onto my computer that resulted in this.

Anyway, redownloading the whole thing. If that doesn’t work, I guess my only option left is a fresh windows installation. It worked before (even after the last update) so it definitely must be a software issue.

You didn’t say you hadn’t tried it. You gave a spurious reason why it can’t work.

When the SIM loads it has to check all the bits. Having a swap file on the same drive could reduce the amount of data going disc to disc.

It’s always a good idea to have a swap file on each fast drive.

Everything gets loaded into ram or vram via the cpu, gpu and memory controllers, disc to disc just doesn’t happen.

1 Like

Hello @LapinoBEL,

I also experienced really slow load times recently. My sim was taking over 10 minutes from launch to the main menu, whereas normally it takes about two minutes or less. At least for me, simply rebooting my PC fixed the issue, and load times are now back to normal. Have you tried restarting yet?

MSFS Team

Yes, of course I have. Seemed common practice, so was the first thing I tried.