INDEX worked fine, NOW.... Very bad

Thank you for sharing your experience!

The artefact are vastly reduced on my test system thanks to the prediction setting in ms. There is a very good technical explanation in “My VR Settings - Index” topic about this one.

In practice, I find the easiest it dialing in the fixed rate which seems to be working best first, then adjusting the prediction to where the artefacts are minimal. I turns out I end up nearly always at 25ms with the latest SteamVR beta.

Sometimes you might find you can get a little higher than 24fps rate but maybe not up to 30fps. In this case you might want to explore 144Hz which gives you different rate options.

The hardest is deciding whether you fly with or without motion smoothing. Sometimes it works fine without and you can raise the resolution, sometime it works better with and you can eliminate juddering. I’m not settled on any but the next advantage of the Index vs the G2, is you can chance this live, on the fly, and immediately compare. You don’t even need a controller thanks to the button on the Index!

1 Like