Installation Loop

Good day all,

I have no idea where to go now. So I am trying this form here.

I have been struggling to install MSFS2020 for 3 weeks now. It seem to be stuck on a loop, it reaches 277MiB/108GB 25% (max) and the resets to 0% and restarts again.

I have followed https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080?input_string=download+loop with no luck.
Even set the Netlimiter to different limits. I have tried a 20mbps/2Mbps, 6mbps/3mbps and a 50mbps/5mbps three different routers ISP, LAN cables etc etc etc etc

Clean re-install of windows.
Clean uninstall Flight Sim 2020 even deleting all related files within windows.
Clean uninstall on Microsoft Store.
WiFi appears to work better and the Ethernet cable won’t download anything (despite speedtest and other application and downloading games having no issues).

Google DNS Setting
Disabling IPv6
Setting Speed and Duplex to value of 10 Mbps Full Duplex
Run as admin
CMD : netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal and netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
Followed https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080?input_string=download+loop
Installing to game on my D: drive SSD 500GB and my C: drive. Made custom file and default files with now change.

Zendesk has ignored my messages since January 01, 2021 01:18.

Please any guidance would be helpful. Would be happy to set up a remote desktop if possible?

Please advise the best way to contact you guys!

Kind regards,
DJ

Upgrade your internet speed.

I am on a minimum of 50Mbps and it still took me ages.

Don’t think the speed is an issue when the download stops and restarts. Then there’s the fact that speeds above 50mbps are not available everywhere, and I have seldom had MSFS make use of the full download speed available to me. So the last point seems to be server-side. Also the link above advises to limit download speeds.

@DJACE747
Puzzeling … So if I understand you correctly, even after reinstalling Windows, it doesn’t work, and other games and downloads work well?
A complete clean reinstall of Windows is a pretty drastic step. So to be clear: you wiped your C:\ drive and you started from scatch and immediately tried to install MSFS? Or did you install anything before trying to download MSFS? Did you reuse anything from your previous Windows (from the 17/09/2020 installation) i.e. reinstall over the existing Windows installation?

The only things I can think of, and which you didn’t mention, is firewalls, antivirus and overclocking. Never heard of a case that overclocking influenced the install procedure, but who knows.

I’m looking in here, I don’t see that you mentioned if you signed out of X box or not.
If you haven’t, the procedure I heard for this is sign out of X-box, sign out of MS Store, then sign back into MS Store than X-box.

1 Like

Unfortunately that is not really an option for me. 50mbps is the best I can get.

@Archer374 thank you for your assistance.

Clean re-install on windows.
Downloaded Windows 10 using their “windows 10 media creation tool” and formatted my C drive. The only programme I installed was Nvidia GPU driver, everything else was stock standard with windows 10. (no anti virus etc and even tried all the trouble shooting steps with a clean OS). After failing for two days I the installed all my previous games and programmes with no issues at all.

Only Overclocked my GPU which I ever disable for the download.

So extremely strange on what is happening.

to put it mildly …
ok, since you have tried all the obvious stuff, here’s another long shot. The internet router/server normally also acts as a firewall. Have you made any changes in the configuration there? The fact, that you cannot download via ethernet suggests that you might have a problem on that end. Especially since MS specifically recommends downloading via ethernet when this download loop problem occurs.
So if you don’t have any special ports or access configurations etc, maybe resetting the internet router to factory settings and updating it to the newest software might do the trick and you can download it via ethernet. Just make absolutely sure you have your internet access Login and Password. :slight_smile:

@TheSevenflyer thank you for the advise, something I had not tired. Sadly it has not seemed to have fixed the issue. Still giving it a little time to try but so far no changes :frowning:

I have not actually tried to mess around with the actual router setting yet. On that note I have tried 3 different Ethernet cables, routers, ISP and speeds (all in different cities even). (Been travelling with my PC in the hopes that it might have been an internet issues.

Ironically the best progress I made was on a 4mbps WiFi and managed to download 5-10GB a day, however I then got stuck on the last 16GB loop began again now on the “fs-base-cgl-0.1.30.fspatch.001”

Lots of tips here once you get past the first few which you,ve already done.

2 Likes

Ok using different ISPs and routers rules THAT out. Would be a huge coincidence if you had those same problems at different physical locations with different hardware and different ISPs. So the only common elements are YOUR computer and Mircosoft/Asobo. Well at least you have narrowed it down :wink:

Have you ever succeeded installing MSFS before?
You also mentioned you updated your GPU drivers and BIOS. Did you also update your chipset driver and ethernet drivers?
I also checked whether there were any problems with Windows 10 20H2 and MSFS but couldn’t find anything specific. (Still using 2004 myself)

It sure looks like you have tried everything suggested. Except…

Try going even lower with your speeds. Lower it from 6/3 to 4/1 or 3/1. I have DSL and my normal speed is 6/1 and I can download fine. I did however have problems one patch cycle and had to lower mine to 3/1 to get it to work. I’ve since made a change to my router QOS settings and now it works fine. That router change won’t help you but the speed change might.

@Archer374 @Explodio501 @YearlingDeer319

Thank you all so much for your suggestion and advise.

Finally seem to have fixed the issue. I had to download the game on my brothers PC using my MS Store information but using his Xbox account. I then transferred the game files to my PC and successfully ran the game. After opening the game I noticed that it had saved the setting from when i first installed it with a free xbox pass (which expired and therefore uninstalled it). I had changed some settings regarding the internet connection speeds to best suit my home internet of 6mbps, hence why it downloaded best at home but still failed at the last 16GB.

My theory is that my xbox account had saved settings which affected the download as it was runner per those settings. It had faster internet connection but was limited in game to minimal internet options and possible had conflict and errors.

Non the less it seems to be fixed (for now)

Summary: (Theory)
If anyone else has issues try create a new account for xbox login only and use your main account for MS Store to download the initial 1.6GB installer programme. Make sure when MSFS2020 opens to download that it connects to your new xbox account. Once the game has downloaded log out and switch your xbox account and relaunch MSFS2020 and then check your internet and cache settings.

Would be interested to see if anyone else has similar issues.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

1 Like

Phew!! :+1:

What a marathonic nightmare.

Please mark this thread as solved to help others with a similar problem.

1 Like

Wow, what an epic.
You learned the hard way that MSFS saves a lot of your settings “in the cloud” and restores them with a re-install.
Glad to hear you are up and flying!