Instrument readability / Cockpit too dark / Eye Adaptation

If, and this is my personal taste on this and not meant sarcastic in any way, we could also have dynamic bokeh (subconscious view interpretation) + vignette (eye squeezing), less strong pupil dilation plus constriction (by the current ‘metering’). I’m happy and are able to call it eye adaptation (you would need eye tracking though).

I would do like a sunglasses icon then though.

-1 works? That’s unexpected…

1 Like

Yes … I was surprised as well … but if you don’t try things, you may never know.

I need to go back and check the difference between 0 and -1, but after I set it to -1, I “THINK” it may have improved the situation even more ?

Need to do a side by side comparison … with screen shots,

or Now, using -1,

“if it works, don’t mess with it anymore”

1 Like

What you’re looking for is also known as Varifocal Lenses. It is promising because it solves to problems in one: focus distance and vergence. But I only know FB is working on this tech for years and there is still no product available yet.

Pupil dilation/contriction is just an adjustable variable. In XP11, it is a dataref you can already play with… but I’ve discussed about their “eye adaptation” with their lead developer on a few occasions and it is not working as expected. This would be cool indeed, you could simulate slow recovery from hypoxia (along with vigneting)!

1 Like

Yeah, where the concept is “simplistic” in real world, the translation to fictive is a major challenge as you continuously need to calculate distances and keep it seamless. Allthough the link with varifocus can be made. I should have added distortion and dynamically chosen object removal (focus culling) :grin:

True, this is also where your mentioned metering modes come into play.

I can definitely imagine, it’s not just a simple one factor solution.

Edit: (I’m derailing, appologies…)

1 Like

At this point in time, it would be cool if we could just read the Instrument on the Instrument panel, in daylight, without having to put all the Instrument Panel lights up to full.

5 Likes

Has anyone whos done the -1 got any comparison screenshots? before/after?

I’ll attempt to make a Video Comparison over the weekend. Seeing the changes Dynamically in Video is far more informative than some still screenshots.

1 Like

Thank you and much appreciated!

I can just about handle the number of other problems the sim has but this one thing totally ruins the visual aspect for me and was so much of a pain that it got me to join the forums.

Looking forwards to seeing it and thanks again.

Did you ever manage to get around to doing this?

No, currently too many other things are not working, or giving strange results.
Both EyeAdaptation and Fringe seem not to be having any affect now if I change them.

Today, with WU6, I did a complete re-install,

If that fixes there parameters to start having an effect again , I’ll be able to make the video comparison.

1 Like

I fly only single engine classic/vintage/antique planes and suffer from the problem originally described in this thread (before it got somewhat off topic) – insufficient illumination of the instrument panel when flying with a single monitor. Is there somewhere I can vote on this as an issue that needs to be addressed? Better yet, a customizable HUD where you can place “steam” instruments, and control it’s brightness and transparency.

1 Like

There’s a “vote” button at the top of the thread.

On the assumption that MSFS-2020 is an upgrade to MSFS-X, please restore the ability to adjust the instrument panel lighting to the best contrast and brightness for your viewing situation.

1 Like

I haven’t played around with most of the steam gauges at night, but I know all the stock glass cockpit panels have the ability to adjust the brightness of the panels.
Regards

I would like the ability to make steam gauge instrument panels more readable. Turning on the flashlight doesn’t help much. BTW – this function should be by aircraft. Different aircraft require different light tuning to improve readability. If I remember correctly, this was doable in MSFS-X.

[I am really surprised at all the things that werent carried forward to MSFS-2020, considering it’s an “upgrade”.]

Exactly, so why don’t you tell us in which aircraft you have found it missing?
Because it generally does work, at least in my experience.

Rather than piecemeal aircraft by aircraft, how about just having the ability to adjust brightness and contrast in the cockpit camera?

1 Like

Oh, so now you’re talking about the camera aperture setting, so to speak?
I was referring to the back- and flood-lighting available in real aircraft.
And you said yourself that what you request should be on a plane-by-plane basis.

I’m totally confused now…

I just think it would be helpful to be able to make panels more readable by adjusting the brightness and contrast. Since that can vary from plane to plane, it would have to be saved with the plane info so you don’t have to do it each time.

This has become somewhat of a moot point for me now that I am using Panel Builder to show the instruments I want along the bottom in all views. Not the true-to-life experience some folks are looking for, but for my usage it best meets my needs.

I’m getting vibes that you think this is really a non-issue, so go ahead and close this thread. Sorry I mentioned it.

1 Like

Well I think you’re correct on both matters.

Yes, the fake aperture effect is simply annoying. It isn’t what you need in a sim. If you move the camera to the panel, it brightens up. And vice versa. But you don’t do that in a sim… your eyes skit around. It’s terribly implemented and shoyld be adjustable at least … or allow the user to disable it at best.

Secondly… “I’m sorry I mentioned it” … is indeed the feeling I get around here too.

Disagree or complain and at least some fan boy will jump on you calling you a troll.

If you react, you will be warned by a moderator and banned from posting.

The person who originalled called “Troll” is of course immune. Ironically it’s them who are the trolls.

It’s starting to remind me of the old PMDG forum on AVSIM.

Just use it as a source of info., if you need proper advice submit a ticket; if you want to express an opinion, go to Reddit.

5 Likes