Intel Rocket Lake

Announced today at CES. Up to 19% performance improvement per core. Max of 8 cores instead of 10.

1 Like

Going to have to wait for independent benchmarks, looking like it’ll still be 14nm.

edit: the fact that they say ‘up to 19% IPC increase’, and then only show between 2 and 8 % increase in their CES marketing slide doesn’t bode well imo. If they could show a 19% increase anywhere, they would have put it on that slide.

edit2: oh wait, that 19% IPC increase would be over their previous gen, and the slide compares to Ryzen.
Still, buyer beware, and wait for independent benchmarks. Marketing slides are just that; marketing.

4 Likes

Not much point as yet as FS doesn’t use all those cores. With DX12 maybe…

Not sure if I’ll replace my 10850k and when. Depends on price and availability. I’m not in a rush.

That would be exactly why a higher IPC is relevant, along with a higher dual core boost frequency.

As already suggested, independent benchmarks will be more relevant that marketing material.

Leaked presentation suggests 14% improvement in MSFS over 10th Gen.

Real world testing on early sold 11700 chips show an entirely different story, around a 1% increase in gaming performance, and in some benchmarks even worse performance than 10th gen.

Since the 11900 is just a higher binned version of the 11700 (both 8C/16T parts) I would not get too enthusiastic just yet.
Personally I’d trust Anandtech over Intel marketing.

Anyways, we’ll see plenty more independent benchmarks once they’re actually released.

edit: specifically about the MSFS benchmarks; that’s at 1080P. I’d very much doubt we’ll see that performance in normal use cases. But we’ll see. It will all depend on pricing.

Since I have already got a motherboard that is Ryzen 5000 ready these numbers do not give me any reason to want to switch over to Intel.

If Ryzen 5000 availability is so poor all the way to launch of Zen 4 then I could see skipping straight to that.

seems like the 5600X and especially the 5800X are pretty widely available for MSRP these days.
5900X and 5950X still rarer than hen’s teeth, but those are overkill for simming/gaming anyways.

Overall, it’s not a great improvement over the 10th Gen…but in MSFS it seems to do well.

I’ve seen other news generally;

specifically for MSFS, I saw this benchmark. It does seem to be better than the 10900K for MSFS, but still trails AMD (although not by much at all);

screenshot taken from: How far will Intel GO? - 11th-gen Core Review - YouTube

Overall impressions are very bleak indeed:

And if there’s anyone I trust about hardware, it’s Gamers Nexus.

otoh, the 11600K seems to be a pretty nice offer if you can get it at MSRP.

I’ve seem the reviews. Not enough to get me off my x570 AMD setup.

I will prob upgrade but only because I already have a compatible motherboard.

I was strolling thru Microcenter around noon, too late I figured as I should have know from the Nvidia GPU release dates I was there @ 6am and picked up a Asus Tuf 3090 OC for MSRP $1739.00 USD👌 But I went there anyways. Was told “No More” 11th gen Intel left and were sold out about 1 hour after opening @ 10am EST. I checked the website and said 1 more i9 11900K left in stock. I asked again and was told the website takes time to update. They said they would check and about 5 minutes later the salesperson returned with the i9 11900K and I got it. I still need Power supply(850w), RAM 32 or 64 GB, Mobo probably Asus rog strix that will handle the 11th Gen Intel, GPU I have the Asus Tuf 3090OC still unopened in the box. I hear good things about the single thread performance of the i9 11900K and that would be good for MSFS. I’ll report back soon after my New PC is finished and running🤞

3 Likes

Everyone is trashing this generation. The i7-10700K is beating the i7-11700K fair and square in almost every bench (just unbelievable). The i9 has less two cores. For all the reviewers, only the i5-11600K is a good value compared to the i5-10600K.

Which is a bummer. Intel is a more stable platform, metal socket, real temp sensors, great overclockers. I hope to update my i7-9700K to an Intel in a couple years.

Everyone is trashing it (waste of sand, failure, flop, etc.)

Except when you look at the actual test numbers from LTT, Eurogamer, The FPS Review, and The Verge, it’s showing between a 7% and 24% increase in MSFS performance (16% average) compared to the 10th Gen.

Which is a pretty typical generational improvement.

Maybe DX12 will change things and the two fewer cores will be a disadvantage. We’ll see.

Here is a caution from Ars Technica. Single thread performance is enhanced, which may be fine for GPU intensive games, but mullti-threading is actually reduced due to reduced cores:

Intel 11th-generation Rocket Lake-S gaming CPUs did not impress us | Ars Technica

EDIT: Sorry if this seems repetitive. It appears this has been mentioned before.

Right, the reviews are terrible. The actual performance numbers in Flight Simulator are good.

thinking seriously buying 11900K, even that i am well pleased with 8700K @5.1ghz + 3090 Asus rog strix OC at 1440p. I am already 3 generations behind so no reason to wait for Alder lake

1 Like

Yep all the tests show an improvement in Flight Simulator. I realize that’s not the case for some games, but this is a MSFS forum.

Linus Tech Tips showed an 11% improvement over the 10900k.

1 Like