A way to modify the intensity of keyboard and button inputs

Hi there,

There should be a way to modify the intensity/sensitivity of key inputs. I do not have rudder pedals and my joystick does not have (one more) axis for that, so I assigned rudder yawing to two buttons, but they are incredibly aggressive. In practice I can’t use the rudder because of that. I like however that after pressing the buttons the rudder returns to its original state.

Thanks!

Hey. At this stage of the game it isnt possible. sry. Maybe later this year

Keys are on/off switches, so the only way to modify your input is through the duration of the key press.

That’s a little sad for things like braking. If I remember right, in DCS things like brake input linearly scale with duration so if you only want gentle braking you can just give the key a few quick taps and for heavier braking you can hold the key until it builds to max pressure.

This should be added. I have no rudder pedals too and would like to control the sensitivity of the saitek buttons

Agreed, I like the implementation in DCS that @R4y30n described.

I have a saitek yoke as well. I would love to be able to use the 2 stage trigger on my x52 for a 50% and 100% brake application would be awesome.

Hello!
First of all, i would like to appreciate Microsoft and Asobo on their hardwork. Great Job guys. MFS 2020 is a great simulation, and I hope it gets more and more better with your dedication and expertise.
I would like if there will be an addition of Keyboard Sensitivity sliders for Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder controls. These were present in Microsoft FSX. Please add them soon in the upcoming updates.

Do you mean if I were to hold a key down, configure some kind of acceleration curve for it, affecting the repeat rate in effect?

Yes. Effecting the respective control response with each key press, in terms of being more or less responsive. Hope i clarified.

1 Like

Yes, thanks.

There is nothing they can do to affect a single press, as its a digital switch. All they could do is affect the repeat rate.

You can do this yourself in Windows, but that wouldn’t help you here, and its a linear curve anyway. What you would want here is that a press and hold might start off repeating slowly, then after a second speed up a bit, then a bit more, and so on, until you release. This rate could be represented as a response curve just like you have for an analogue axis.

The problem is that the first jump is too big so it doesn´t matter if you make small or large repetitions, the answer is the same. As usual, it is one of those things I can´t understand why if it does exist on FSX, we lose it on FS2024 (keyboard sensitiveness), as simple as that.

Because the people who made FS2020 clearly had never used, nor researched, any of the prior version of MSFS.

1 Like

I think they were given access to the source code for FSX. I’m pretty sure they would have fired it up once or twice during development.

I’ve attempted to describe this problem in similar topics discussing how difficult it is to trim accurately. Just realised I can probably do a better job via the magic of animation…

It’s slightly exaggerated for clarity, but one of these bars represents what MSFS does when a key or button is held. The other is what it should be doing. I won’t point out which is which.

While I’ve long understood that this is how trimming works, I’ve just checked how buttons work with the primary flight control surfaces and am absolutely astonished (although by now I really shouldn’t be) that it’s exactly the same: The shortest physically possible tap produces a disproportionately large minimum input, illustrated perfectly in the Cessna 152 where tapping numpad 4 and 6 (default roll controls) moves the yoke a noticeable amount.

Taking a frame from near the start of the video, this is the difference in what a ‘tap’ produces versus what it should:

The fact that Asobo even have the ‘delay’ following the initial press makes things worse. There’s absolutely no technical reason for key and button presses to function like this. It’s an incredibly frustrating example of minimal effort and thought put into a rather critical part of the software.

1 Like

Realise this is an old post I’m quoting, but while ‘repeat rate’ is a common term regarding keyboard input it’s not relevant in this context. Or at least shouldn’t be.

Thinking in these terms means adding a certain value to an axis in relatively large amounts of time - the default Windows keyboard repeat rate is about 50ms. This clearly works fine for inputting characters, but is far too coarse for controlling an axis in a simulator accurately. The pressing and releasing of buttons should be measured at a rate much closer to single milliseconds.

1 Like

Hi @BeardyBrun and @Gantalyetos and offcourse other fellowsimmers

Im late to the party but these i found in the official folder select airplanes > select and open up airplane of choice.
Here you look for gameplay.cfg and open it

My example is the default C172sp classic
Now you look for [KEYBOARD_RESPONSE]

I have modified for this topic into this

And it seems that with these settings on elevator it give short bursts when pressed and keep pressed
So i suggest the lower the second numbers the more control and the longer needs the keypress

I think these are the timings of the keys but i do not know if this list can be expended with other like
Trims, toebrakes etc.
What i think can be that it is working with windows keyboard timings

These are my findings on this topic hope you can state and support this
Also hope to clear things for keyboard pilots (sometimes i like to fly like that)

Regards

Sebastiaan

1 Like

I modded trim to gameplay.cfg and
I have made a short video comparing 2 trim wheels on 2 different pc at the same time
Clearly see the difference when i prass my keyboards at the same time
So te bottom trim is modified while the top is default.

So i say this is the file to modify about keyboard sensitvity

Probably the reason why I don’t tend to have an issue with trimming is I use a wheel, which effectively means I am repeatedly pressing a button rather than holding it down, but have the ability to vary the cadence of those presses by rolling the wheel at varying speeds.

Using a trimwheel is nice because you have the possibility to regulate sensitvity settings.
I use this to a 10k potentiometer connected through a Leo Bodnar board

But for the keyboard in my way it seems you can alter timing of input for “example in default”
You can press the numpad 1 key once and never find the right position for the trim because it overshoot for the default is to sensitive
But with adding trim in gameplay.cfg it is possible to reduce or speed up this sensitvity for particular
setting by add and edit.

In tthe video i can tell you that this is the speed while both the keys pressed all the way from bottom to top all the time except the last bit. ( on the topscreen my finger slipped of the button slightly before it reaches the top)
The same i can do for toebrakes and this is i think for keyboard pilots a good find.

An alternatif for this could be Fsuipc 7 paid version where it is possible to create airplane specific
profile and program keypress in there, but as a reminder you have to remove the insim keyboard settings to prevent unwanted effect as in double input different software source.

Another benefit for both options mentione above, can be that you can create different timings for each airplanes so they do not feel the same with reactions of input on the keyboard and it is even possible to land the plane from most or all view positions

1 Like

This is good information and gives some insight on how the various controls may interact with the computer.

1 Like