Interesting Approach

The most challenging approach I’ve flown in the sim is into Panama City, Panama (MPTO). Sort of the RNAV equivalent of a DME arc. Lots of heading and altitude changes. It was a lot of fun.

3 Likes

I really like the approach that is taken when landing in Juneau Alaska. If Asobo looked fondly at Alaska in photogrammetry, it would be very beautiful.

3 Likes

I agree! That was the other one I was going to mention.

My first time landing there and the runway is offset and the visibility was almost to minimums, weeeeee. haha got her down though.

1 Like

Try the approach and beach landing at Barra (SNBX) in Scotland

The most stunning landing spot in the world - Barra Airport - YouTube

4 Likes

Did this one today. Wow, the scenery and photogrammetry around here looks terrific. Was very impressed. And frame rate even where my machine sometimes struggles with PG was fluid and perfect. The detail in the roads and highways going up the hills / valleys was best I’ve seen. The docks area and various cliffs at that port end of the bay look fantastic too.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find this on map search. Do you know the ICAO codes for those please?

This and many others close by - endless fun!!

This is my sort of landing strips heheh. Great many ways to approach weaving through the valleys. Amazing scenery!!

I was in the Fox 2 and you can pull some mad approaches and get away with it!!

1 Like

Beaver island is KSJX and Mackinac is KMCD

2 Likes

It gets really interesting in November in live weather because it’s the Great Lakes you never really know what your going to get including the possibility of a crazy November storm bringing thunder and snow behind it

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Paro, Bhutan
Last part of the approach has to be flown visually and requires some tight turns in narrow valleys while descending 4000ft down to the rwy. Quite the challenge in an airliner.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Interesting and fun RNAV approach when coming from India, descending through narrow valleys. Airport is often difficult to spot in the haze.

Cusco, Peru
Again an RNAV approach winding down the valleys to one of the worlds highest airports.

Tivat, Montenegro
NDB rwy 14 requires a visual descent including an almost 180 degree turn over the bay. Beautiful approach!

Nice VOR 22L/R
Last part involves a visual descent from 1260ft, turning 90 degrees following the coast to the runway.

3 Likes

Nice to have someone live near me

Egnt is my place of work

1 Like

I fly most nights in FS2020 making my way back to base. Wish on Xbox they would enhance it

East?? I thought the west would be
more challenging

I’m aquainting myself with flying around Papua last couple of days. Really fantastic area for VFR STOL action. Nearly every airstrip is an interesting and unique approach, many of them quite challenging. There are so many small airfields close to each other - easy to just keep turning around, taking off and finding the next one to try to land at.

I scoured FS.TO and grabbed nearly all the PNG stuff I could find.

I’ve been “pretending” I’m delivering food and goods to the remote communities :slight_smile:

Found a strange thing though in the West of Papua. There are like 7 airports all called Karubaga. All these dots around the centre are the same names (with different ICAO code). Any idea why?

1 Like

Here’s a fantastic little route:

:flight_departure: MEN Mengang <—> KBM Kabwum :flight_arrival:

Do go both ways though! Just turn and go back. Take-off, approach and landing at both ends is exhilarating :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ronald Regan international has a very cool approach when the wind is in that direction it’s is required for it because the way you have to fly it

1 Like

Thanks. I just ‘tried’ Paro, Bhutan approach. The asigned approach is for runway 15 but you fly in and over runway 33. Had my poor old Kodiak twisting in a very wide arch dogging hills all around me.

Will do … added to my list.

The thing to be aware of with Paro is that the IFR approaches don’t take you to the runway. They’re so called “cloud-break” procedures that get you to a point around 4000ft over airfield elevation, where you can start your visual approach. I’ve flown a lot of tricky approaches in 737 and 320 and I think Paro is right at the top of the list in terms of requiring decent pilot skills.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.