Intermittent Performance Spikes, high time in Manipulators

I’m experiencing random and dramatic drops in performance to <10fps in these situations:

• right after loading the sim in the menu
  • after clicking into Graphics Settings menu
  • after switching into VR mode

The sim was freshly installed on a new build (Ryzen 5600x, RTX 3070) and ran fine with excellent performance in VR for a few test flights of about 30 mins each. Then this problem appeared after no changes anywhere and I cannot resolve it, even after a reinstall of the sim.

Right now it’s a matter of luck whether I can load into the sim and switch to VR mode without it dropping into this performance black hole.

You can see the game struggling with the menu animations and transitions if it loads up in this state, or if it drops into this state after visiting the settings screen. If it drops into this state after switching to VR mode the display in the headset is a mess with black bars everywhere as it cannot even track the 2d menu.

If by sheer luck I get the sim loaded and into VR mode (by retrying over and over again) without it getting into this state I can have a gloriously smooth flight in the Rift S (at least in the Cessna).

Definitely a hard bug with MSFS. No problems with IL2 BOS, or Elite Dangerous on this brand new machine in VR with SS and graphics settings cranked high/ultra.

I have removed/reinstalled everything including the game, Nvidia drivers, Oculus software, not running any third party or community plugins, no monitoring software, no weird tweaks, it’s categorically an issue with the game itself.

I’d be interested to hear what the response has been to anyone who has reported this via zendesk.

1 Like