IRIS Simulations Jabiru J160 and J170

IRIS Simulation is working on the Jabiru J-160 for MSFS

Credits:

Can’t wait to fly the Jabiru in MSFS. Learnt to fly on this one.b

Here’s another interesting new aircraft. Another light aircraft, seems to be perfect type of plane for MSFS at this moment!

2 Likes

But… flight simulator has this plane already no? Why choose something we already have. I swear companies have lost the understanding to make profit. Make a spitfire… bae 146 … piper pa 28 180… theyll be rich.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think they want to monetize their existing products, many of these were already available for FSX and P3D, so they have some work done already. It’s easier to adapt that to MSFS than to recreate everything from scratch.

1 Like

Not the same plane but they look very similar

Awesome! can’t wait to try.

It most certainly does not.

It would be great to fly a plane I have a fair bit of real flying in. Despite some peoples opinions, flying a different flight simulator is not a true test of this simulators physics or aircraft modeling.

Although we do have plenty of ultralights already, I fly them quite often so I would not mind one down the road. But maybe not yet.

This actually looks pretty interesting. Avionics look pretty unique and the engine on this plane is built in house so it should be a somewhat different than what we have so far. The additional bush flights added seem like a neat bonus, would be great to explore Australia some.

I think its neat to fly planes in their “homes” if you know what I mean, so having bonus flightplans with them kinda helps that out.

http://www.irissimulations.com.au/ols/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=56&fbclid=IwAR2Lti4db_a5OnWnEDSokKHAINbSxMhjv1qbK3QKOvwDsR6hfL3J5xrXnVM

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Australia’s most popular light sport aircraft!

Exported to countries around the globe, Jabiru aircraft is a tried and tested concept in Australian aviation, being used for recreational flying, flight training, rural property management, commuting, surveillance and surveying. The Jabiru J160/J170 aircraft are powered by a Jabiru 4 cylinder 4 stroke 2200cc air cooled engines and makes the aircraft a joy to fly, with a 100 knot cruise speed and a very economical engine, it is a popular training aircraft for Australia’s Recreational Aviation certification.

FEATURES

• Product installers included for Microsoft Flight Simulator [MSFS] (Steam and Microsoft Store Distribution)
  • Two airframes for the price of one! The Jabiru J160 & J170!
  • Four custom instrument panels over a variety of aircraft layouts.
  • A superb soundset recorded directly from the Jabiru engine using Wwise techniques.
  • A BONUS Bush Trip! Explore the Gippsland Lakes area of Eastern Victoria and visit locations close to the heart of the IRIS Simulations team!
  • High resolution paintkit available separately (Download Link)
  • An in-simulator aircraft manager allows the user to toggle on or off various visual parts.
  • A superb flight model for the light handling and excellent characteristics of the Jabiru J160 & J170 aircraft tested and flown by Jabiru pilots and instructors.
  • A total of sixteen high resolution paint schemes over two aircraft.
1 Like

They don’t seem to be trying very hard to sell it. A website with a single screenshot.

4 Likes

Thats true!

A few more screenshots are available here…

3 Likes

Expensive for what I’m seeing in their single screenshot! I’ll save my $

3 Likes

I just had a quick fly during lunch time. On the whole I’d call it “ok”.

** See revised opinion below.

Things I liked.

• The grass felt really bumpy just like in the real aircraft
  • The knocks and rattles seemed about right.
  • Overall the aircraft flew OK. My climb-bout was steeper and I had to move my yoke a lot to get any movement. The yoke issue is likely because my yoke has significantly more travel than the stick in the real aircraft does. We need to able to adjust on a per-aircraft basis!

Things I thought weren’t quite right

• My J160 never had the power of this one that’s for sure. Both in the air and on the ground. I’ll play around with weight and see if I change my view but right now I think it is over powered.
  • The flickering of a couple of the GPS and turn indicator was pretty annoying until Avionics was turned on. The GPS should have stayed off and the turn indicator shouldn’t be bouncing around.
  • The only switch that worked on my Honeycomb yoke was the starter. that is really annoying to have switches that work on all the other aircraft but not this one.
2 Likes

TL;DR.

So a revised opinion. I think it is a pretty good representation of the real aircraft in normal flight modes and I’m not regretting my purchase. Stalls seemed good based on most of the kinds of stalls we’d do in training.

This aircraft isn’t for everyone. It is not particularly fast and has barely adequate climb performance (that can scare the … out of you on a hot summers day when you barely clear the trees) but for those of us that trained on it or want to fly a basic aircraft that many learned to fly in then it is a fun aircraft to add to the sim. One model even as an auto pilot!

A Little More Info
I just had another fly with weight near max weight and it was much more what I’m used to so that is great. Bear in mind that it is several years since I part-owned a J160 and comparing a real aircraft to a sim is an inexact art.

I deal in KG and Litres so maybe the lbs and gallons lead me astray a bit. It still seems like it lets me carry a little more fuel than I should at the weight me and my pax were in my comparison flight but it wasn’t horribly off. My climb rate out of YADG was pretty spot on.

If you use the switches in the cockpit as per a normal J160 checklist then there are no issues. It is the incompatibility with the Honeycomb yokes switches that made it look a bit broken.

The only things that I’ complain about are:

• I’d like my yokes switches to work with the aircraft.
  • The turn coordinator seems to lag and have accuracy issues. Sometimes it seems ok other not so much. This one is not a big deal though.
2 Likes

They make good planes.Maybe I’ll wait for the pc21 or c27j if that ever comes.

You will be missing out then…Its fantastic!

1 Like

I bought this aircraft and I am enjoying it. It is quite fun to fly if you did some training in a similar aircraft in real life. It includes several cockpit configurations and the overall package is very nice.

What I don’t like is that almost all switches have to be used only with the mouse. In this version (V1.0) I cannot use any joystick or keyboards assignments for the main switches (lights, fuel pump, magnetos, carb heat, master, avionics…).
Cheers

Does anyone know when this will be released for the in game store?

1 Like