Is 144hz 1440p monitor a bad move?

Hello all, I’ve built (online) a sim rig that I’m eagerly awaiting delivery of and it includes an RTX 3090 and Ryzen 5950X, as well as 32g of 3600mHz RAM, but I cannot decide on trying for high fps with a 1440p panel or a more steady 60fps with a 4k 60Hz screen.

Has anyone who has a similar spec to my incoming sim rig gone the 1440p high refresh route and if so, even if some settings are dialled back a bit, can they get close to 100+ fps?

Appreciate this has been asked before in many different ways, but I’m about to pull the trigger on a new monitor and I value the opinions of people in this forum and would trust their views over asking in forums where I’d not be sure if they’re even playing the sim at all :wink:

Many thanks,
Davey

Go 4k if your getting a 3090 seems a lot of money if your not gonna make use of it. super high fps is completely pointless in this game.
Id just get a 3080 if only going for 1440p.

2 Likes

As Dorrager says, if you’re ONLY playing MSFS, the high FPS indeed isn’t necessary, and you could go for a 4K. If you’re also playing other games, you’ll have to decide for yourself how important it is to have high framerates in those.

That said, I have a 3440x1440 monitor and IMO, the 21:9 ratio is a lot better than 16:9, especially for simulators, as I find the extra peripheral vision helps a lot in situational awareness without having to buy extra monitors, have to navigate through all the potential technical issues with setting up and maintaining multi-monitor setups (reading other topics on here, I don’t think that’s even supported by MSFS right now), get stuck with bezels in the middle of your view, …

To give you some indication of what you would see with the FOV I currently use, this is a 1440p image with markings to show what a 1080p and a more general 16:9 ratio would show you.

With the extra pixels on a 4K, I assume you could set the FOV wider to get the same peripheral vision and still be able to read everything on screen, but I think it would also mean you’ll be zoomed out more, like you’re sitting in the back of your aircraft rather than in the cockpit, and maybe even creating a fisheye effect.
Important note with that statement though: I’ve never had a 4K myself, so I can’t confirm if what I said about the zoom effect is accurate. Somebody else will have to confirm or correct.

1 Like

Thanks DORRAGER, but I will be looking to play other titles, specifically fast-moving 1st person shooters and driving games, hence the idea of the high refresh rate monitor. Plus the 3090 is an attempt to futureproof my system, while I can afford to do so.

1 Like

Thanks BVTEagleEye. It’s very relevant you mention the widescreen format as that’s exactly what I’m looking to purchase, specifically the iiyama G-MASTER GB3461WQSU, which is a 34" 1440p widescreen panel with 144Hz refresh rate. I’ve seen MSFS in delicious widescreen action and it looks incredible, plus, as mentioned above, other games will benefit from this same format, as well as the 144Hz refresh rate.

What I do know is that I stand a better chance of achieving 144fps in Assetto Corsa than I do in MSFS!!!

Maybe my system is overkill for 1440p and that high fps in MSFS is simply currently unattainable. However, it’s the overall smoothness and the reduction of micro-stutters that counts. Whatever I choose to buy I’ll be tweaking my settings and applying fixes, just like when we used to mess about with FSX.CFG back in the day.

Thanks for your input.

3440 x 1440 at 144hz is great for FPS’s - lots of crispness and clarity. Question is: do you need or want 4K for the future. If not, the above would be great for shoot-em-ups.

IMO get a 3440x1440 with a high refresh rate since you’re play anything else recently came from 1440p 16:9 to 21:9 it won’t be as crisp as 4k but its a much more immersive experience. Not going back to 16:9
21:9 is what a game like this was meant for!

You will love and will appreciate the extra field of view!

1 Like

To be fair I can get full 4k and 60fps or above with my RTX 2070 in other games, so i doubt you have much trouble with a 3090. obviously you will get more fps with lower res monitor, I doubt you would see much of a difference between them anyway.

144 fps is absolutely wonderful in most games, but utterly unattainable in MSFS. If you can stay above 50 fps you should be very happy, especially in airliners, because most of the time that won’t happen, especially not in cities/near big airports.
The big limit is CPU, so a 3090 won’t help much. My 3080 gives me the same framerates at 720p, 1080p and 4K in almost all cases.

Thanks for everyone’s opinions; all of them valid. I’m up early this morning to continue to research my options and then sometime later today will take the plunge and buy something. I have to say though that seeing screenshots of 3440x1440 widescreen almost has my jaw on the floor. All of that extra scenery or cockpit makes it less claustrophobic and has me almost convinced that’s the way to go. When whichever screen I choose eventually arrives I will update with my findings, but thanks once more for everyone’s assistance.

Davey.

1 Like

I was also on the fence but cost was a big issue. I bought a Sceptre 35” 3440 x 1440 21:9 100 hz monitor and was very pleased with the VA panel. Great monitor for $379 on Amazon.

I’m looking at the iiyama G-MASTER GB3461WQSU that doesn’t have a curved screen, as I also want to do photo editing and feel that a curved monitor could be a distraction from that. Plus, it’s also an IPS panel with 1ms response and 144Hz refresh and that’ll lend itself to a number of other games I’ll want to explore with my new PC.

And after just bingeing on 3440x1440 MSFS videos on YouTube I think my mind is made up.

Disclaimer: I currently run an i5 2500K and GTX960 (2gig vram) and only 8gig of RAM. Of course I installed MSFS 2020 just for laughs and got exactly what I asked for - a reason to buy a new PC…and I’m all-in with this one! And I’m also looking at an Oculus Quest 2 as they’re getting good reviews with MSFS and they’re infinitely more easily sourced than the HP Reverb G2.

To be honest I agree it does look awesome on a wider monitor. I had a curved monitor when was a console guy, the curve is so slight it doesn’t effect the way things look on the screen, it just means the picture is better from more angles.

I’ve pulled the trigger on the iiyama 3440x1440 as it has a lot going for it and it was a penny short of £372. Hopefully this will complement my sim rig which I’m still awaiting deliver of.

Can’t wait! In terms of specification compared to my existing PC it’s like going from a hot air balloon to a Lear Jet!

Appreciate everyone’s input, thank you.

2 Likes

I have a EVGA 3090 with a 49" Ultrawide screen 5120 x 1440 , at 120 hz. intel i9-10850 mobo, 64 GB DDR4 . Love it.
I also wanted to future-proof my system so went with the EVGA 24GB 3090.
I dont need 100 fps, thats unrealistic in a flight sim, but my sim is buttery smooth. Also , VR works great at ultra settings. Very glad i went with the 3090

Here are some in sim pics.

1 Like

Very nice!

That’s absolutely stunning. Just wow. That aspect ratio is just a whole other experience. I’m having to keep my section maps dry until the 29th, which is the supposed delivery date for my sim rig.

And I think that VR is going to add, quite literally, another dimension to my simming.

1 Like