Is HDR even worth it?

Whats the name of your monitor and how much did you pay?

It is a 65 inch TCL HDTV.

TCL 65" CLASS 6-SERIES 4K QLED DOLBY VISION HDR ROKU SMART TV - 65R625 - 60 Hz

MSRP = around $899.00 USD

1 Like

Hey, since you seem to know a lot about the HDR, today I found that HDR is fairly significantly different between windowed mode and full screen mode. Is that normal? a bug? Full Screen mode made the cockpit much darker.
I have to say between my monitors different HDR modes (its a BenQ EX2710Q) and being able to adjust the HDR with the Windows calibration tool and then FS looking different whether its full screen or windowed, I’ve become really confused. Why can’t colors just be colors?

From what I remember, HDR doesn’t know “windows” so yes, you have to be in full screen mode for it to work (just like with FSR2/DLSS you have to be in full screen mode).

With HDR, you need to crank up the contrast to compensate for the darker cockpit.

1 Like

This is not true for me; fullscreen and windowed modes both work in HDR on my PC.

2 Likes

No HDR here and the game looks great on my TV! It’s a 12+ old Bravia CCFL backlit LCD screen and I use the live color and contrast enhancer features coupled with setting the Xbox to RGB full. Just beautiful. All games. No HDR, no 4k. :smile:

1 Like

OK, so I fixed my ‘dark cockpits with full Screen HDR’ problem. Im not sure which solved it but I had ‘EyeAdaptation’ OFF in UserCfg.opt so I turned that back ON and I also created another ColorSpace profile using the Win11 Calibration Tool. I deliberately made it not as dark and not quite as bright. Its still quite bright but the dark cockpits have gone away.
Also - the tool has some issue where the mouse freezes on the full screen settings – but it will eventually let you make the adjustments. and don’t think you need to increase the color saturation. I had set mine to halfway between default and whatever ‘full sat’ would be and it was way too much. I recommend ‘default’.
I think I may try one more time to cut the highlights down but I really think its Asobo that needs to work on the atmospheric lighting environment. There is absolutely no reason why the horizon should be excessively bright when looking away from the sun. Yes, the sun does shine through the atmosphere as it nears the opposite horizon and it tends to light up the other side of the sky a bit but not that much. and in most cases there is haze that knocks down that lower altitude light reflection/glow.
but in any case, check your settings…you may be able to run with HDR on. It does seem to work in both windowed and full screen mode but it works differently for some reason.
If for no other reason, HDR ON gives you 10 bit color which has to be good I would think.

Today is the 1st time that I have seen HDR working again.

My display is showing 8737 nits.
It has previously shown 237 nits since it quit working…

Disregard the screenshot brightness. It isn’t on FS2020.

I have a 43” Asus 4K,I don’t like the way HDR looks,I used for a bit in the beginning but not anymore.

1 Like

I’ve settled on just using nVidia Control Panel to make the HDR look better. I started by using the colorspace profile that came with the monitor because it works much better than everything I tried with the Win11 HDR Calibration Tool. I then changed gamma of both red and green channels to .98 in NCP and then on all channels, set brightness down to 42 and contrast to 30 and Digital Vibrance to 42. I think it looks pretty good but I wish the sim had detailed built in tools.

1 Like

I don’t use it either.

On my screenshot above, the red colored lettering for MSI Afterburner is orange when HDR is off. (like in the screenshot above the FS2020 screen)

The colors are not correct. No way to change then in FS2020.

1 Like

I personally feel it makes the game look very cartoony.

Looks great in GTA5 but not here, just a personal take of course. These things are very subjective.

1 Like

Right. I’ve personally never needed HDR in any game and especially not flight simulator! All you need is a good TV with good picture processing capabilities. Job done :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.