Is it worth a CPU or RAM upgrade?

I guess we will always be chasing the next best thing! Other than micro stutters around dense airports, etc, my sim runs fairly well. I’m contemplating a CPU and/or RAM upgrade. What are your thoughts? And is it worth it at this point in time? I know this is all subjective, but just picking some brains!

My current setup is:
X570 Pro
32GB 3200
Ryzen 5 5600x
3080Ti
Plenty of cooling
Win 10
34" widescreen @1440

i mean no not really. As long as it’s running consistently and well for you you’ve got a pretty good system!

If you’re looking to burn money for flight simming you could always

• Buy peripherals (yoke, joystick, rudder, throttle, MFDs more monitors + TrackIR, VR etc)
  • Build a simpit
  • Buy immersion addons like GSX and FSRealistic
  • Buy High Fidelity planes
  • Save that money and pay for a joy ride in a real plane so we can ogle at you in jealousy (well i would at least)

That’s about it

We can’t die with our cash right?! Those who die with the most debt win! lol

I have a Logitech yoke with throttles and rudder pedals. Was contemplating upgrading to a honeycomb, but really don’t want to drop money into a monitor just yet. My buddy is a pilot for JetBlue and is a CFI. He wants to take me up when we hit Spring. Too bad we cant take an A320 up!!!

In my opinion, you have enough RAM, but your CPU is not powerful enough to handle the many objects in a dense airport. Consider upgrading your CPU. If you have the money, look for the Intel 13000 series.

Hi buddy!

Well nice combo great Pc and if all runs nice and start then no worries or rush to upgrade, but looking at the ram so there can be some improvement and again all depends on what you got now, is this ram you have 32GB 2x 16gb or it’s 4x 8GB and is it dual rank ram sticks or just single ? What profile you have and timings is it CL14 ? Or higher? So there is lots things when talking about Ram, you could get let’s say 32GB but dual ranked sticks 2x Times 16GB 3600mhz :+1:t2:

I’m running an AMD platform. Kind of want to stick with that. After running Intel for years, I wanted to give AMD a try! No complaints so far after a couple years.

Thanks for the reply. My 3200 is DR CL16. So 2 x 32gb. I’d be looking to mimic that with 3600, but kind of unclear as to how much of a difference it may make.

barely noticeable change in performance. if anything applications that is heavy on RAM (ex Chrome, Cities Skylines) will benefit but it won’t be like going from a potato that runs at 10fps to running on a quantum computer at 3521361624fps.

If you’re looking to upgrade AND get a performance increase, go with the 7000 Ryzen and DDR5 memory. But you will need a whole new motherboard.

1 Like

Cheap and easy upgrade: 5800X3D

Expensive upgrade: 13900K, Z790, DDR5

2 Likes

You don’t need extra ram

1 Like

Stick a 5800X3D in there. The rest of it is fine.

2 Likes

Yes, the 5800X3D is a drop in upgrade for you for simming, (ensure bios and chipset drivers are updated beforehand) or wait for AM5 X3D which will/may be coming next year or never unless AMD officially announce. Your RAM is completely fine.

Plenty of info about the 5800X3D sim performance is dotted about the forum.

As other said, get 5800X3D and possibly new 3600Mhz dual rank memory kit.

Personally I went with 12400f with Alder Lake and now ordered a 13600k for the same mobo as a more long term setup. In hindsight, seeing the kind of CPU intensive games I play (including this one) where the FPS even soars due to the huge L3 cache, I regret not going for 5600X → 5800X3D instead.

If I had that board I would upgrade to the 5800X3D.

Well. I went out and grabbed the 5800X3d and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. I’m seeing a peak of 89FPS in the A32NX on the flightdeck with all Ultra settings and 200 FidFX, 200 TOD, and 200 LOD.

2 Likes

Another club member! Welcome! :saluting_face: