Is METAR Live Weather realistic?

As we rarely see reports of “everything is fine” on the forum it is difficult to be sure of how widely this problem is spread throughout the MSFS community. There are certainly reports that the weather engine/data/server is having problems which we are led to believe are being investigated but, and I’m not a programmer so no expert, trying to accurately simulate something as fickle and variable as the weather for every user throughout the world must be a nigh-on impossible task. I understand, therefore, that (more than) an occasional glitch is inevitable.

Here in the UK weather, and it’s changeability, is a way of life for us and a daily topic of conversation. I sometimes envy those places that can literally set their clocks by the commencement of a tropical downpour! So when you are considering your attitude to weather I think you have to keep this in mind.

I run a fairly middle of the road specced rig on not the fastest internet around so I have to accept that performance is nowhere near as good as many of the contributors on here. I feel lucky that on almost every flight “live” weather is pretty close to actual - yesterday afternoon, whilst doing some testing of liveries “at” my local airport I had a beautiful sunset with multi-coloured clouds etc. I looked out of the window to see almost exactly the same IRL. But in contrast, later in the day I tried an IFR flight into Bristol, the METAR telling me it was 2500m viz yet as I approached in the sim I could see the runway from 8 miles away!

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to decry anybody else’s experiences and I realise it can get extremely frustrating. But I’m sure that the developers at Asobo/MS are trying their very hardest to accomplish a highly complicated task, trying to satisfy millions of players whilst at the same time having to consider many other demands, even perhaps financial limitations.

So my answer to the title question is - for me - mostly yes, emphasis on the “mostly”. And my point - be patient and just accept the challenge of whatever weather is thrown at you, 'cos that’s what happens IRL!

Is raining in the MSFS when it is raining IRL?

If METAR works it works fine. However…when this happens

And one second later this…

That is not fine. I have no clue why the 35 minute delay before METAR kicked in.

1 Like

I was about 20 feet above the runway, just about to touchdown, when I went from clear skies as had been the whole flight to clouds everywhere. Ive gone back to weather themes for now.

Same for me on approach today. The clouds changed instantly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.