Is "the community" toxic?

The PMDG folks barely post on their own forum, let alone here :smiley:

1 Like

The hotfix for flaps fixed the issue, and the hotfix for the WASM addon crash worked as well. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any other hot fixes.

1 Like

Still more experience than I have had…40th birthday present 4 hour flying lesson…then I asked how much for PPL…and to keep it up…thought thst is all :rofl: still should of got a job as an estate agent. Also how much VFR in uk would I get…cant afford to fill my car up let alone a Cessna

2 Likes

I am in Northern Germany, so basically screwed as well in regards to VMC conditions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must confess, I would have been amused if this thread descended into the type of bickering mentioned at the top. It hasn’t quite happened. But almost.

Yeah same climate Bloody weather…thats what I blame

1 Like

Here’s my take. This sim is a game changer and although it does have some issues that need to be worked out, it has a lot of promise. Because of this, the expectations are sky high and there is a lot of angst to have it all working the way that everyone would like for it to work, and tempers flare. Me personally, I’m loving the sim and have many,many hours myself and just can’t get enough of it. I have been flight simming since the first flight sim before Microsoft bought them and am a real world pilot as well. This is by far the best sim on the market and is amazing.

1 Like

I have (mostly) flown GA aircraft in the sims over the past 20+ years, probably because that’s the most comfortable for me. Because of that, I think I’ve had a good experience (with one 30-day exception called SU3) with MSFS so far.

IFR flying is difficult at best right now. The sim seems optimized for VFR flying, which makes sense given the emphasis on visuals. (Hard to see the beautiful scenery when you’re flying in IMC.)

Because I fly (mostly) during the day and (mostly) in CAVOK conditions, in (mostly) GA aircraft I’ve had a (mostly) good time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A very wise piece of advise !!

cmonkeymic3

3 Likes

This is what I want to hear…from real world pilots…not computer geeks about FPS about their gpu or cpu or their hard drive flight dynamics…how realistic is it…to me that should be a flightsim forum. Pilots know more about flying than computer geeks

2 Likes

I have to say the forums here are a breath of fresh air after spending time in Another Vicious SIMulation forum that I used to frequent a lot more in the early FSX days. I just wish these forums were a bit more intuitive to navigate, as it’s hard to keep up when there a so many sub-forums. This is the only reason I continue to visit any other communities.

Maybe it’s nostalgia talking, but back in the day I remember the other forum as a helpful place with people sharing tips and tricks about issues instead of constantly berating the dev team. I think I still have a dead bookmark to the “cure for the blurries” thread. Now, you have a bunch of older guys acting like entitled brats, moaning about how they spent $60 on an “unfinished” simulator. Meanwhile, they all bought it on day one, without waiting for any reviews to see if it fit their needs. They all have X-Plane installed as an alternative, but keep coming back to MSFS while they moan about the lack of “study level” airliners (because this is somehow a requirement of a $60 sim these days).

They are “die-hard” simmers, unlike the “gamers” that you’ll find on these forums. I remember them dumping on YouTube influencers who got free MSFS welcome kits, because obviously those should only go to the “die-hard” simmers like themselves. They post dozens of messages dumping on this sim instead of opening support tickets or coming here to vote on things they want to see changed in the sim. And really, the ones who complain the most make up a small percentage of that community, but the lack of any downvoting just clogs every topic with negativity.

I think the most positivity for MSFS can easily be found on Twitch and YouTube these days. You have simmers across the entire spectrum who really love flying and share this enthusiasm with others. Plenty of streamers will answer questions for the newcomers as well. And the advanced folks recognize the sim’s limitations, but don’t let it stop them from having fun.

As someone with a (no longer current) PPL, I think Microsoft started where it matters: VFR and small aircraft. Anyone interested in flying is going to need to start by learning in a small 152 or 172, and I think MSFS nails these aircraft. The bigger stuff is already making huge strides with the CJ4 mod and the Aerosoft CRJ. The freeware community is the largest I’ve seen since the FS2k2 days. This sim has a huge amount of potential, and the people who dump on in constantly either need to go back to XP11 or turn off their autopilot and actually hand fly a plane for once.

Also, I think it’s important to have other hobbies or games to turn to… sometimes MSFS patches break things. Obviously Asobo isn’t doing this to troll us. Just load up another sim or game and wait for the next patch. Ripping apart the devs is childish and doesn’t accomplish anything.

Whew, I think this post was more of a personal vent on the state of certain communities vs. actually answering the OP’s question, but TLDR: the bad apples out there are a drop in the bucket compared to those who are having fun and want to see others enjoy this sim as well!

6 Likes

Thanks for that appreciated of info, ex pilot no doubt its like riding a bike, would sill trust you in my flying than someone worrying about my FPS, GPU BIOs or my hard drive. Still my jabiru landings are atrocious.

I’d like to hear from both, but maybe ideally on Different Forums .

a MSFS Gamer’s Forum
a MSFS Simmer’s Forum

OK, so that will never happen – but mixing Gamers & Simmers in the same Forum is like trying to mix Oil & Water

At least if it were Oil & Vinegar, one might end up with Salad Dressing !!

2 Likes

Well am I worried about FPS or just landing my plane in the appropriate way…right Flaps trimming…or concerned about FPS.

TBH its tiresome about every thread about GPU CPU and FPS…I want to learn to fly…whats wrong with that?

Again in a box assuming
“Simmers”
“Gamers”
I am so confused now, so what am I…over 100 games on a dedicated drive (latest games cost more than MSFS)
My flight Sim on a dedicated drive…(what box am I in)

Well I wouldn’t say toxic, but I would say it’s very clique…just head over to the PMDG forums for a sample…lol

Hah! :grin:

Well, actually since I am flying mostly in the evening here in Germany but still want good weather and daylight, I happen to fly mainly in the US. That also comes with the added benefit of readily available D-ATIS for the FBW A32NX and WT CJ4, which is not available in Europe other than through the different pilot network clients as far as I know.

Recently I have done a lot of helo flying to discover the photogrammetry a little bit more than I can during an IFR airliner flight. While the H135 has some flight model issues due to basically being a hack, it’s great fun.

I also love the TBM9 as it is the best of both worlds for me, especially with Gui’s/mugz’s mod and the WT G3000. The flap area bug made me forget about this gem but I will go back to it in the summer, probably after we get another SU under our belt and the first turbine fixes are slated to release.

So overall I am having a good time with the sim as well, otherwise I would not have around 250 hours and still post here. I and probably many others are just passionate about this sim and want it to succeed, hence we get emotional sometimes.

2 Likes

@ JWATTS0275

Unless it matters to you personally, the whole ‘simmers’ vs ‘gamers’ argument is best ignored. It seems to me to be based on a false premise.
MSFS Venn

I use MSFS for entertainment. That is what it is sold for. Whether other people call it a ‘game’ or a ‘simulation’ makes no difference one way or another.

2 Likes

WOW you just proved OP point toxic

Thanks…you a real world pilot or a “Consultant in computers :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: because their more computer Consultant han pilots that do a fabulous job”