Is the Flight Model of the MSFS 2020 realistic or do we need a completly rewrite?

i think its his daily main occupation

3 Likes

Why doesnā€™t he stick to U-boat sims. Would be much more appropriate :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
This is for the proā€¦
It will be hard to beat :joy:

Yes, in fact it is difficult in the game not to see even a minimum of ALS :wink:

Yep, that was the point in my post. The sim flight model in itself is pretty good, the question is how the airplanes are modeled to use it. C152 for instance is a good example of doing it rather well.

Have you actually tried the stuff in the video? I just did, and and every ā– ā– ā– ā–  time I fell from the sky without any chance.

X-plane is better modeled by far. Yet, I think as we get better payware jets, their flying characteristics will be better than what we get with the default. Thanks for FBW in the meantime.

As far as I have understood the flight models are not that far apart mathematically/physically. It has more to do with how the individual airplanes are modeled using the underlying framework. Quite honestly I think a lot of the ā€œMSFS has bad flight modelsā€ thinking has to do with the criticism it got at launch from influential utubers. I have been watching quite a few of them lately, and mostly I have to say it has to do with them not calibrating their peripherals.

1 Like

Pretty much the first impression from day one release.
Anyone who actually took the time to cycle through every vanilla aircraft could figure that out.
Are some of us spoiled by complex study level payware models in older sims? Rightfully so!

2 Likes

I urge you to try out the maneuvers in this video. I did, and fell from the sky like a rock every time. The MSFS2020 Flight Model is a Dumpster Fire - YouTube

ā€œI reinstalled GTA V and their planes felt more realistic.ā€

Lol. Come on my guy.

1 Like

The guy literally tried claiming GTAV planes are ā€œmore realistic.ā€ Thereā€™s fair criticism and then thereā€™s just trying too hard.

Spinning was much more realistic pre SU5 IMO. Entry and recovery now (especially recovery) has the aircraft doing all sorts of weird manoeuvres. Iā€™d set my Robin up to simulate the requirement to use right rudder on takeoff. Now, you can leave the rudder centred and thereā€™s no effect again.

Simply have a look at the flight_model.cfg file of most aircraft, many variables are now set to a value of 0.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a few flying on their straps in front of me. Quite amazing to watch!

Then you see videos of airliners getting moved around whilst theyā€™re parked. :grimacing:

The loop at a way too low airspeed (<90kts) in the 152 is still possible, so thereā€™s apparently something wrong with the drag/g-load relationship, but e.g. x-plane has the identical problem.

To find significant errors you donā€™t need to fly outside the envelope.
The 350i is for me the worst aircraft in MSFS. It can fly level at idle power and you basically canā€™t land it without flaps.

Iā€™m still convinced that Asobo/MS are working on improving the flight models. Otherwise there wouldnā€™t be SUs6+7.

1 Like

For my self is the msfs2020 the most realistic(i never flown in reallife) and beautiful simulator that i ever had.
I had before xp11, fsx, and fs 2004. and the Airplanes in GTA V flies like potatos or something else.

@all . Every guys or user here have a bit another regonization of the reality and the feelings. So every user have another perception of the reality and also what for a simulator feels more realistic to him then an another. I think the feeling how realistic a simulator feels to us is personaly perferences and subjective.

But on the other Hand wit the internet connection here in the internet desert of germany is maybe xp11 better. because it havent streaming and in the msfs 2020 i can see how the scenery loads often.
My INternetconnection in the INternet-Dessert of Germany: 60down and 10mbit upload.

as example:

on the asia continent near oakb.

Depends what you are flying. In MSFS I fly the SR 22 and I like the way that flies and handles. I also fly the FBW A320 and that handles nicely as well. The Dreamliner on the other hand needs a lot of work in that area but in fairness it is a default plane.

Everyone bangs on about X plane and itā€™s physics but letā€™s remember we are talking about an established sim with a lot of payware.

I also donā€™t think it is as good as everyone makes out as whilst the effects of the wind can sometimes feel understated on MSFS on X-Plane they are often totally OTT!

Just a sidenote about your internet connection speed: your 60mbit downstream ( /upstream does not matter) should be more than enough! The issues that you experience are more likely server related.

i think also its a server issue unfortunaly. It destroys tzhe completly experience when i flying in the msfs 2020

I think a lot of people are confusing the sim Flight Model physics with the implementation of this Flight Model in the individual aircrafts.
In fact the MSFS FM may be the most advanced in any consumer flight simulator that exists.
But since itā€™s more complicated and new, itā€™s harder to implement. The default aircraftsā€™ FM have obviously been roughly implemented, to certainly serve as a proof of concept.
I bet, as time goes by, that the implementation of the FM will evolve and become more granular as developers learn how to utilize it as intended.
You can always refer to this to see what the Flight Model offers in MSFS:
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Additional_Information/Flight_Model_Physics.htm

4 Likes