Is the Flight Model of the MSFS 2020 realistic or do we need a completly rewrite?

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I don’t have space or wife issues but for me, and I must assume many people, VR causes motion sickness and the weight makes my neck hurt after about ten minutes. Plus, the one thing VR does better, depth, was still not close enough to reality for me, not as a tradeoff for the physical hardware aspect. In addition, the low resolution and limited field of view are real problems IMHO.

I have fashioned a very lightweight mount for the TrackIR reflectors using some scrap plastic and an inexpensive pair of plastic shop safety glasses. Total cost was about $3 not counting the TrackIR.

As they say, good enough for govt work.

Your pilot friends were probably impressed with the visuals. Granted, depth can’t be accomplished on a single 2D screen. However, until it can handle physical hardware, VR can not be MORE realistic.

Condescending? In my original post I said ‘accurate’, not ‘realistic’. lol

Thanks for the link!

From the article,

“There are some things the VR is good for and some things it is not,” Harris said. “The VR does not replace actual flight training, but what we do here at innovation flight is to try and leverage the things that it is good for.”

This is a single experiment at a single location. The picture shows a fairly small scale simulation platform which indicates a small investment. Since the use of simulators is subject to govt overview, I would seriously doubt this will be replacing current military simulators, at least until VR resolution and field of view is improved.

It’s puzzling, isn’t it? That need to prove a flightmodel right or wrong, like it’s about life or death. Crazy world we live in. We’re essentially discussing which lines of code are perceived as a more accurate representation of a real life activity, which by itself is highly subjective beyond a certain point.

4 Likes

No, that’s not possible. The cockpit layout is designed for a crew of 2 and that’s the only way you can operate this aircraft.

How can one spend so much time and money for a realistic cockpit and then operate it in a totally unrealistic way.

2 Likes

Well, if one get’s incapacitated (but still consious), he/she then should not say “your controls” or alike, but :musical_note: let it go :musical_note: (sorry for the sarcastical notes, but coudn’t resist :blush: ).

If i’m correct it’s a “may not” and not a “can not” ?

Incapacitation prior to engine start/takeoff? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Let me find an example, one second, i will edit the post when found ( i watched a clip yesterday).

Edit:
Found it.

What about while taking off? See below.

This is just an example of an incapacitation. It’s just merely an example of being “incapable” to perform an action.

Chapter 6. The captain gets incapacitated.

What this clip tells me, is that both operators need to be fully aware of the aircraft in the full extend, not only the part they are “responsible” for. Hence, both being able to perform the exact same thing. Thus, being able to handle the aircraft just by one person.

Although this example is in a “panic” situation where some “unknown” has happened (throttle reduced).

If, this is misunderstood, let me know :slight_smile:

I should create seperate family profiles :frowning:

P.S. Done editing.

Time elapsed :wink:

Could you post some images?

Sorry to tell you that 2010 is long gone and that VR has been used by the military for training sessions for several years.

For the real Feeling, do you know PointCtrl? ok, will not work in FS2020, but in nearly all other sims.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not a web crawler bot, it was an example not a survey.

Ok here is a bonus link, different location, different squadron, different organization:
A-10 Warthog Pilots Are Using The Digital Combat Simulator Video Game To Train In VR (thedrive.com)

3 Likes

and look, this pilots use also pointCtrl xD

or here: CES 2020: VRgineers VR-Headset in Militärqualität bereits bei der US-Luftwaffe im Einsatz - VRScout

I had today bought xp11 and tried it the flight model of that. And i must say the flight model off xplane 11 isnt better the only diffrents is that you have the illusion that you have to give more and stronger inputs to the joystick (and that feels to some of us more realistice). and also the airplanes looks to me like on rails to me in xp11. because of there isnt air movement which you can regonize on the airplane. So i returned xp11 to steam. hopfully it works.

the conclusion about today: i lost maybe 65$. hopfully i got my money back. and XPlane isnt better in flightphysik. Sometimes is xplane 11 in flightsphysik worser then msfs 2020.

yes so i make negative life experiences unfortunaly they cost 65$. in the next time i read reviews for free and dont buy software to get a own opinnion about these software.

But hey i am young with 24. And i cant all know and to make lifeexperiences is inportant and also the negative ones.

last but not least:

MSFS 2020- The best and realisitc simulator for now
XP11: has nearly the same flightmodell and sometimes a bader Flighmodell and a worser graphic which looks like the 90’s or early 2000s(i was knowed that. that the graphic is bader in xp)

And it may sound that i know how a airplane reacts in realife. and i have to say i never flown a plane irl. So i dont know how a plane react in real life. I compared only the flightmodells of xp11 and msfs 2020 thought my feelings.

1 Like

Hello, if you did it right, you should get your money back, with the conditions stem you have 7 days to get your money back if I am not mistaken. By the way you are right x-plane without addon is bland. Yes the graphics are useless compared to MFS, next year they will release a new opus, with less dull colors, but the landscape won’t be there like MFS. After yes without addons xplane is not better than MFS, but when addons are added, MFS has surely for the moment a greater potential, but they should open this potential to 100% to developers.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never been tossed around in a storm in MFS, like I was in a real weather storm in XP :slight_smile: xplane wind

1 Like

Is that what you call realistic? (no ridiculing in mind, just a honest question)

I am not a real pilot, dont pretend, however my experience the other day.
I did a Flight with the noisy BN2 from EGNTNewcastle to ENBR Bergen, the crosswind was impossible to land…2 go arounds …ending up landing not on the runway. ILS approach…but It was a very exciting experience for me. So I have to disagree. Real time and weather. I was not tossed around just angle of landing was so difficult never used my rudders so much.

1 Like

I had a crosswind of 27 knots with gusts making it very hard to hold the plane. It is true that in MFS it is much more realistic to be able to cross a storm in the clouds with a Cessna, fingers in the nose.
Indeed.

1 Like

No, I meant to ask whether this feels and looks realistic to you, you didn’t claim it is! Just curious.

1 Like