Is the ILS not working in the TBM?

I can’t get the ILS function to work in the TBM. Is it broken or am I missing something?

I hadn’t flown it in a few months until last night because I wanted to use the de-icing equipment but I couldn’t even get the PFD to work. It wasn’t blacked out it was just completely frozen whereas all the non-Garmin standby instruments worked? Will probably look into the mods here shortly for the TBM.

It will not lock into ILS at approach, landing manually, some day these little bugs will be fixed across the entire OEM fleet, I don’t go crazy about reporting these letany of bugs all over. I fly the planes with the smallest amount of bugs, very few.

Is this something that has recently changed or are you new to the TBM?

I ask because there are several stages to getting the ILS to display and a couple more to getting the AP to lock on to it. If it’s a full IFR plan, you might be expecting to see a full automatic set up including frequency selection and capture, on the other hand if it’s a VFR plan, with an ILS added, you would need to input the frequency, select the nav and approach mode, and the AP functions to suit.

1 Like

I did as you mentioned, transitioned from VFR to ILS, input right frequency, right alt, follow the chart approach, A/P is on, select nav and approach, it locked into the heading, but never started the descent, set right speed, flaps, and landed manually after turning A/P off.

Are you just entering an ILS frequency while enroute and you were flying VFR with no AP? You’d need to be at the IAF and below the altitude fix to get the AP to pick it up, CDI is set to NAV1 or NAV2 (whichever radio you dialed the ILS freq into) and be in APR before the FAF. G3000 only provides advisory VNAV before the FAF so you’ll have to throttle manage the descent.

2 Likes

And hopefully you are using the Working Title G3000 mod!

https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/g3000/

That is a yes to both of your post. I do this all the time in X-Plane and it works fine, the procedure that is, I use Navigraph Charts, my Alt is always a bit below the fix, etc.,etc. I will keep trying.

Make you activated the ‘approach’ button.

I fly TBM almost once a day mostly IFR and ILS always locks in at approach. The last few days, even ATC has been pretty accurate. They must have done something on the server side.

the ILS works fine in the TBM with WT G3000. Enter the ils freq in nav one. then when you are at the inital approach fix BELOW the stated alt, switch from FMS to LOC and switch from NAV to APP
works for me everytime

I installed the WT G3000. So far, so good.
So am I to understand that that the glide scope does not engage? I’ve tried it on both the Longitude and TBM 930. I know it used to engage (at least in the Longitude) before the last update.

PS I did not install the WT Road Display yet. What exactly does that do?

Thanks

GS does engage / ILS just fine in TBM. Are you under it when selecting APR mode and in LOC1 not GPS? Does the airport only have a Localizer approach?

The road data shows the outlines of roads on the map of the G3000 like the real one does. Unless you really want that much detail shown on the map it’s not necessary.

I’ve gotten glideslope on the TBM, but I haven’t flown in a few months. Does is say ILS on the approach chart for the runway? Or is it LOC or GPS? If the latter there may be no glideslope.

when youre near an airport and below GS switch from FMS to NAV1 (displayed is now with correct ILS freq LOC1) and activate APR (approach mnode) when the plane will capture LOC and GS

Where do people get the initial fix data from generally? I usually use LNM and it seems to be pretty accurate most of the time. But I’ve noticed that the altitude stated in the MSFS nav log is sometimes way off from what LNM says. For example at the same WP LNM will give the initial fix as 3300 and MSFS will say 4000. Sometimes they agree but half the time they are different.

I have the Navigraph subscription, the combination of their navdata and their Jeppesen charts app is superb in my opinion. I was a bit hesitant to pay monthly for it, but now I couldn’t be without it!

you can download (or view) free SIDs and STARs as well as ILS info from Fltpln.com or Chartfox etc

1 Like

Cool…I’ll have a look.

You should subscribe to Navigraph, makes things a lot simpler. G3000 in the TBM has in-built charts, but they need Navigraph sub.