Is the Piaggio P.149 still a good value?

I just came across the AT Simulations Piaggio P.149 and it looks like a really nice plane. Great reviews. I like this type of plane: the Blackbox Simulation Bulldog is a favorite. But the P.149 is over a year old. How does it stand up to newer products like the Bulldog and the freeware Ryan Navion? Has it received updates from the developer? I am looking forward to their AN-2.

I know it’s a personal preference and judgment call, but thoughts from owners are greatly appreciated.

It is still a fun ride for VFR and basic aerobatics. A bonus is you can fly (somewhat unrealistically) with the canopy back for an open cockpit experience.

At the time it was one of the best GA addons on the market.

The devs chose to fit the original historic radios ( a move I whole heartedly support) which means it is not necessary suited to ops needing the radios as not all modern stations can be tuned.

Not sure on patches, I think it is still supported for update introduced bugs but not getting any ongoing development.

1 Like

The last update it received was in March 2021. It still has bugs. The developer said he wouldn’t give it any more attention until his An-2 was finished. The An-2 has supposedly been finished since some time before Christmas. These are the facts, do with them what you will.

1 Like

According to AT Simulations FB page it will get an update soon and come to marketplace.

So you could just wait a little and see.

It still flies nicely, though, except the copilot doesn’t show and it still has no ingame checklists, which is a pity. Needs a lot of trim for the rudder.

some minor bugs as well, as only throttle axis 1 can be used not general throttle axis and sometimes the pilot shows up when in cockpit and all cockpit buttons duplicate, so you need to go to external view and back to make that disappear.

I hope the update drops soon, like he promised on Facebook.

I never use radio on any plance, so no idea if there is something there still that prevents using the radio for some frequencies.

Still the only aircraft in the sim with animated passengers, btw.
(they move their heads, not sit frozen like in the Kodiak)

2 Likes

This is the only plane I have seen where the radios look properly old (this is a 1950’s plane). The textures are superlative inside the plane. It flies very well. i love it.

Flightsim.to has some mods: simple AP. Pilot views show or not show. A switch on the panel to toggle between German or English labels on the panel. etc.

It always had that.

They don’t send out update notices. There’s been a few updates over the last year. Go to the website and you can download it. The latest version that is, not the update mentioned above.

You don’t need a mod for the English/German language panel markings switch.

I haven’t been able to get the co-pilot/passengers to show when I’m in the cockpit for a few versions. Am I doing something wrong?

I still love the plane, and, if you fly it properly, the Lycoming GO-480 engine simulation is superb. It doesn’t have engine damage modeling though, which is a serious thing with GO-480’s in real life. And an engine refurb is about $70,000 these days if you stay with the GO-480, if you can find somebody to do it.

Thanks to this model, this plane is very high on my list of planes I want to purchase.