Is there a better way to utilize Graphic Card in VR?

I have Oculus CV1, Nvidia 1080Ti, and i7 6700k, 32 Gb RAM. The hardware is pretty much outdated for the SIM. However, in VR mode, my graphic card is loaded at about 2% (!). At least according to Windows Process Manager.
I succeeded in setting up for a smooth flight, but there is still considerable room for experience improvement.
Is there something I can do? Or maybe was there information from Asobo on this topic? Or maybe there is something that Windows Process Manager doesn’t show me?

If it’s a duplicate post, sorry, please give me a link on a similar topic.

Task manager doesn’t show all types of load, at least not if you don’t have the current 20H2 Windows build.

If you’re using reprojection then your utilization will read lower than it is, and this can be a big part of it. But a lot of people are seeing numbers between 2 and 20% and we’re all trying to figure that out. There are some good threads looking into things like this. Check out a number of such threads from user CaptLucky8

1 Like

Check out HWMonitor. It is a great PC monitoring program that doesn’t hog resources.

I have Oculus Rift S with i7-3770 & 1660 Super. My test showed that I MUST set “pixels per display pixel override” (PPDPO) to 2 (in Oculus Debug Tool) to get clear image in VR, no matter how I set my TAA render scale (in game) or SS (customer render scale in Open XR Developer Tools). Setting PPDPO to the default 0 or 1-1.25 (someone said it’s recommended for NVidia 1xxx cards) would make my VR scenery very blurry, unstable, and colored unreal. And digital instruments were impossible to read. However once it’s set at 2, outside image was sharp & great even when I set TAA render scale as the minimum 30, and by increasing the same setting to 40, I could read EFIS digits without focusing.

If I felt FPS was bad (I didn’t check it in VR because I found the moment I put on the headset the FPS shown would drop significantly but I could not see it in flying), I would lower the two “details” scale in MSFS to 75% or so, or lower SS to 70%. I hardly noticed any outside scenery quality drop, because it’s still quite sharp.

I disabled ASW and motion reproduction because they only caused problems. Without them the stuttering or occasional distortion seemed to be caused by low FPS or so, which I could always address by lowering TAA (at 30 I had to focus read instruments) and SS rendering

Thank you for the tip. I have test it and, yes, it shows me GPU load 100% with the high memory load… so maybe Windows Task Manager is showing Video Engine load (2% on both, HWMonitor and Win. Task Manager).

1 Like

Wow! Really great advice on setting “pixels per display pixel override” to 2 in Oculus Debug Tool. I can now read my panel much better. Need to play with other settings to improve performance though. But definitivy great tip! Thank you for leaving it here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.