Is there a GPS obsession?

I suppose CC that you’ll also state that ‘analog’ vinyl records have no place in a digital world … where audiophiles would clearly set you straight (rightfully so given the ongoing popularity of vinyl records).

I’m gonna have to side with CynicalLake here. User is merely expressing concern for a seemingly lost art. Your response of “it’s old tech … dead … let it die” has an unwarranted arrogance. I haven’t experience the ‘bug’ yet cuz I haven’t downloaded the Garmin update. Clearly now I won’t. If CynnicalLake’s assessment is true than it clearly IS a bug. Stop trying to question that or downplay it.

1 Like

For airports without a VOR on station, It took much more preflight mission planning, identifying the airport location as the intersection of two VOR radials, same with IAF and FAF, and getting the ILS freq set up in time! Localizer-only and ADF approaches and othe non-precision approaches, Busy, busy, busy fingers and being very proficient in situational awareness.
If you belonged to a poor aero club that had a 172 with a single Nav radio and VOR head, you best set pretty high personal weather minimums.
And unfortunately, more accidents. All the information we have available now is wonderful, but brings its own issues.
Regards

3 Likes

I never said “Let it die.” Please read my replies again.

You’re conflating an acknowledgement of progression with a denouncement of legacy. I made no such compunctions. I’m simply pointing out why the trend is occurring.

4 Likes

You don’t say what Garmin update, The G1000 Nxi or the GNS. The G1000 Nxi is now the default so I assume you are referring to the GNS early access that was recently released. I have both and don’t have any issues flying a VOR or ILS in the Caravan without a flight plan added. Perhaps it’s something you are missing.

2 Likes

Makes sense I guess. Too much for me to handle at the end of a long day haha.

True but after reading through this thread I have found your comments unnecessarily combative. No need for that here.

2 Likes

after testing i could also liock onto the approach, so your correct that it appears to be working

that does not change the fact it did Not work for me the other night, why or how i dont know
but i asure you im not ‘making it up’
i also had an issue where i could not get it to give me asos or atis, so something was deff going on involving the radio comms that seems to be working now

thanks for the input but again your results Do Not negate the fact i had an issue imo
at first i thought maube it was ‘user error’ but i do not believe that, this is not my first sim or radio nav flight and i was having other issues with the radio but it does appear that it happens only after a long flight where multiple stations where used? or only occasionally? again idk - i was just reporting what i saw

cheers

Hello,

If you are having an issue with the autopilot following VORs or ILS while using the new GNS430W/530W that was released on the marketplace (I still can’t tell because you have yet to say the model of GPS), please report it on the dedicated forum thread regarding it, or else it won’t be captured or tracked.

3 Likes

It would be better for folks to read replies in full. And perhaps more than once, in order to comprehensively and soundly reply. Assertive, yes. Combative, not quite.

6 Likes

I’ll go one further: Don’t even go VOR to VOR.

Find a topographical map. We call them World Aeronautical Charts where I’m from. You could use sectionals, or use an online type map.

Plot your route, work out your winds, time and heading corrections and enter those on your plan.
An old ‘wizz wheel’ flight computer, like an E6B, can help. Personally I preferred the Jeppesen CR3.

Now go flying. Remember to log those times accurately, and hold your heading religiously.

Read Map to ground. So look at what you should be seeing on your map, big features to small, horizon to nearby. Are you in the middle of those two lakes, or should you be closer to one than the other?

Inevitably you’ll find yourself a little off course. Look into 1 in 60 rule to get yourself back on track at a certain distance.

Here’s an example:

You have travelled 30nm and found yourself 5nm off track to the right. You’ve maintained your planned heading accurately. What heading do you now need to get back on track, and what heading do you then need to correct the drift you experienced before?

So 30 goes into 60 twice. So double everything. ie: 5nm off in 30nm, is the same ratio as 10nm in 60.
The rule states that if you turn 10 degrees left, you will parallel your track. If you turn 20 (10+10) degrees left, you’ll regain track in another 30nm (It’s just reversing the same error you had to begin with).
If you double the correction part of the turn, you’ll regain track in half the distance. So turn 30 degrees left (10 + 20) degrees left, then you’ll regain your track in 15nm from your present position.
Alternatively you may wish to regain track in 60nm. So turn left 10 degrees to parallel your track, and another 5 degrees to reintercept your planned track in 60nm.

Once you regain your track, you’ll need to turn right again to maintain that track. Knock off everything except that initial 10 degrees (for this example) and you’ll maintain your new track. At least until the wind changes again, or your planned track makes a turn.

Clear as mud right?

9 Likes

I’ve seen a similar trend a while back with scuba diving and dive computers.

When they first came out they where expensive and bulky and not worth the cost for the average diver. Most people still used a stopwatch and dive tables.

But slowly the technology got less expensive and smaller. As name brand dive computers broke the $500 and then $200 mark more and more people adopted them. Now they are pretty much ubiquitous.

2 Likes

I also like to fly old school with GA planes, and even fully visual just using charts and Littlenavmap after disabling the tracking feature. It´s important not to forget to locate yourself just using terrain and practice that from time to time as you could need it in case of failures. However in some cases you need GPS as there are no navaids nearby. That happens at many small fields worldwide.

Cheers

I have no doubt about your reports. I’ll try several places with several different aircraft and see if it fails me… but, I have no doubt that there are a lot of things in the cockpit that needs to be addressed before they add more eye candy.

Just to be clear about what I was seeing:
with the Garmin provided free in Market Place and recommended for download so it ends up in the Content folder:
all is fine and dandy until the point where it needs to lock onto the localizer and glideslope.
It does follow the localizer for a moment then switches off the Approach and it just keeps going round.
It doesnt work. Removing the Garmin from the Content folder with autopilot engaged and approach engaged (assuming you have set correct frequency and Course and are at the correct altitude meaning approaching the glideslope from underneath, it works fine.
Doing all that the same with the Garmin addon installed, it doesnt.
I test with the default Cessna Caravan.
What or how it all goes wrong, no idea.
uninstalling the Garmin cures it.
I am talking about the Garmin provided for free in the Market Place.

Pilotage and dead reckoning would be so easy if not for that darned wind! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Thank you for your update ! Much appreciated

Which plane or which Garmin are you referring to?

2 Likes

I loved this part of flying, working out the various true/magnetic, course/heading, and times based on your expected airspeed and winds aloft. It was a great feeling to then fly using your planned heading and compare the view outside to the chart on your knee!

I remember learning the basics of VOR use, but really only for the checkride and a true lost situation. I stopped being active as a pilot before GPS really took off and don’t enjoy using it now in the sim (of course there are obvious safety and efficiency benefits, but to me, it’s just not nearly as fun as map following or VOR/NBD use if IFR).

I am so thrilled with MSFS now as a shockingly realistic VFR flight simulator. I can now, for the first time, truly navigate with real dead reckoning (the geometry, math, and time planning) and pilotage (the chart/sectional flying). Maybe this only works in areas with good photogrammetry, but for where I tend to fly, it’s great.

5 Likes

ohhh, well that is different altogether
first, have you tested this with No other mods? of any kind?
its not likely but its best to eliminate everything you can

no affiliation but i do know these guys in passing, good friendly people
may i offer you to join the Working Title discord so you could tell them this? just link this post with a brief explanation maybe?

im sure they would be interested to find the problem

Best thing about glass cockpits is the avionics switch turns the glass off - which forces you to fly with your “head outside” and helps reduce the cockpit obsession you can acquire when simming too much.

Being obsessed with the gauges in a real aircraft is dangerous when operating in CTAFs, especially when some aircraft may have no comms at all.

1 Like