Is there anyone at all who isn't experiencing these half-second "hiccups" with FS2020?

If so, can you please post your PC specs here so I can throw mine in the trash and buy one just like yours? :slight_smile:

Here’s what I’m seeing, no matter what settings I use in FS2020 or NVIDIA control panel: Brief half-second hiccups in FS2020 - YouTube Sorry it’s a little long video…much of it is normal, with some slight normal FPS choppiness. Some points where there’s a stutter are right before I drop the landing gear, as well as right before landing, just before crossing the highway).

My specs:

3.6GHz i9 10850K CPU (tried using this normal and overclocked, no difference).
Asus Prime Z490-V motherboard
32GB DDR4 RAM (four sticks of 8GB each; of these, two are matched Crucial RAM at 2666MHz and two are matched Hynix RAM at 2400MHz. I’ve tried using all together, as well as each matched pair separately…no difference).
NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super (I’ve tried swapping this out with a 3090, still getting same hiccup stutters even though FPS was of course improved)
1TB NVME (I’ve tried swapping this out with a Samsung EVO 980 Pro, no difference)
4K 85" Sony Bravia TV as monitor (I’ve tried with a basic 1080 computer monitor, no difference. Tried swapping the HDMI cable, no difference).
Corsair 1000W PSU (tried a different PSU, no difference).
Gigabit Ethernet (using 300mbps cable internet). I tried using wifi instead…same internet speed, no difference in stutters).

I’ve tried everything. I’ve been trying to tackle this for weeks. Every possible thing, including full Windows reinstall from scratch, Windows 10 vs 11, DX11 vs DX12, lower resolution, registry hacks, tried older NVIDIA drivers, uninstalled Armoury Crate…you name it, I’ve tried it. The only things I haven’t tried yet is to swap out the CPU and/or motherboard.

I’m at the point where the hiccups are just crushing the realism for me. I can live with a little low FPS now and then in major cities, as can be seen in my video; but the little brief stutter here and there is killing me. There has to be someone out there who’s not getting these occasional half-second stutters?

4 Likes

I’m going to assume you’ve tried disabling the cloud related stuff (texture streaming)? Those look like loading stutters to me, i dont think i ever had issues like that.

If it ain’t that, sounds like you’ve got a weird cpu/motherboard issue related to io operations. Did you try another nvme slot?

Get a 5800x3d and all stutters disappear :wink:

3 Likes

Complete Fresh install of windows did it for me, running some similar specs process took about 25 mins the install of msfs took longer about 45 mins with gig internet. Used to stutter at all times on the ground by just panning around, also got the limited by GPU/thread now it’s just thread after the fresh install. I also did not install geforce experience but instead downloaded the driver straight from the website. Maybe try uninstalling GeForce Experience and just installing the most up to date driver directly from the website?

I had even worse hiccups, about 5 seconds, and it disappeared when I switched back to TAA. DLSS was very smooth but created horrible hiccups for me around airports.

Me.

11900K AI/OC (5.0 all-core on Noctua NH-D15S), 3080, 32gb 3600 CL16 RAM, Samsung G9 5120x1440 monitor.

Default (as set by “F12 Reset” button in menu) Ultra Graphics preset

Default (as set by “F12 Reset” button in menu) Traffic settings

Vsync 33% (results in 40 fps cap to go easy on the power bill)

DX12

Default settings in NVCP

OS and Sim installed on separate 970 Evo m.2 drives

Hyperthreading enabled, XMP 2 enabled, hard drives properly configured in BIOS and read/write speeds verified with Samsung Magician.

I9-11900 3070 590 MB no o/c 32G ram 2TB ser4 m2. No issues whatsoever.

I have stutters about every 30 second.
The CPU goes then for a second to 100%

Then Audio and frame stutter.

i7 7700k, gtx 1080ti, 32GB RAM. 1TB nvme. Win 10.

I try many settings, nothing helps…

Since downgrading my CPU to a Ryzen 5 - yes the sim is sometimes frozen for half a second or second until the flight continues.
This never happened while having the Ryzen 7 3800x and the Radeon 5700 in the PC.

That’s exactly what it seems like–loading stutters. It seems to happen whenever I see new “scenery” loading in my flight path, which is why the stutters seem to happen more frequently when I turn the plane fairly quickly–that “brings more into view quickly” and thus seems more prone to triggering the hiccup.

I’ve tried disabling photogrammetry and set terrain vector data to off–those didn’t seem to make any difference. Same for off-screen terrain pre-caching, rolling cache on/off, different sizes rolling cache…nothing makes any difference. There’s just these maddening hiccups in amongst relatively smooth FPS the remainder of the time.

I did not try a different NVME slot. I suppose that would be easy enough to attempt. If that doesn’t work though…yeah, I’m stumped. I guess it could be a CPU/motherboard issue…I guess my fear is that I’d spend $1,000 on a nice new CPU/motherboard and then find out it wasn’t the culprit, you know what I mean? :frowning:

1 Like

That’s how FBW A320 behave… It’s sometomes stuttery and sometimes gives micro-freeze or micro pause. They still need to optimize the implementation of their instuments using MSFS Coherent GT (glass cockpit rendering using javascript)

Have you tried with other airplanes? e.g. PMDG 737 or Fenix?

Or try with the default Asobo aircraft.

Yep, I’ve tried with default Asobo aircraft of various types. Same stutter.

Do you by chance have any other mb/cpu combo you could test with? Maybe try that after swapping the nvme slot?

No hiccups, stutters, or pauses. AMD 9 3900X, PRIME X570-P, 2080 Ti, A-DATA Technology DDR4 3000 RAM 2x16 GB, 2 - SSD NVME WD5200 2 TB, Windows Pro 10, 4k monitor, no over/underclocking. SU 10 is more stable and faster than SU9.

Thats what I`ve done. Big difference from my 10900k and runs cooler.

No ‘hiccups’ here either on my 4 to 5 year old PC system and getting min. 45 fps on ground at EGLL (and where ever I fly). In the air I get 60 fps plus with no lags/pauses/stutters. Very fluid and immersive experience. Flying PMDG DC6 at the moment at 1440p. Fantastic AC.

MSI Z290 pro MB
Win 10 (updates permanently disabled using script. Only update when I have to) on 250 gb Samsung SSD
MSFS 20 on 2 gb Samsung SSD
I5 7600k cpu 0C to 4.6
2070S GPU (not now OC)
Water cooled
48 gb RAM (3000 ??)
Win. 10 (disabled updates)
No anti virus except Win. Defender which I disable before sim launch.
Nvidia driver about 4th from most recent installed via DDU and stripped of xxxx with NV Slimmer.
Minimum of background progs and CF holds maybe 5gb of freeware addons. I also use REX AccuSeasons (great for fps)

In sim I’ve disabled PG, most settings on high plus, LOD 120 (I think, not at my PC). I use live weather and FSLTL live traffic (IFR 40/VFR 10) using 1k textures. I use DLSS (quality) with max. sharpening.

Main monitor Benq 35 inch at 1440 p
2 side monitors, 27 inch, Benq, 1440p (quarter used for sim, rest for P2ATC and gauges)

A few months ago I did have micro stutters which was pretty frustrating. This corrected itself when I eventually decided to update/reinstall my audio and Logitech head set drivers.

By the way, please don’t trash your PC system. Very happy to do a swap! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:. Only kidding. Hope you get it sorted real soon. Must be really frustrating :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You should perhaps prefix your, very sound, advice with ‘If you have half a fortune sitting in the bank doing nothing …’ :wink:

No stutters here ( :pray:):

MSI MEG570 Unify
Radeon RX5700XT
Ryzen 7 5800X
Corsair Vengeance 32Mb
1tb Black M2 NVMe

Been having these ever since the latest update. Not all the time but when they happen it is upsetting. I seem to get more when I am taking off or landing at a major airport. FWIW

1 Like

Hi
I have a AMD 5800X3D, 3090, 32g ram and 1TB NVME and it still runs bad.
VR is unusable for me as well.
Before update 10 everything worked fine with smooth 45fps in VR.

Seen possibly two or maybe three at this time.

32GB DDR5 5600
NVME x2

Average DL speed 50-65 mb/sec