Is there Live Traffic?

What’s with the Live Traffic? Am I correct in it inputs real world traffic into the sim? I’m currently doing Schipol/Dubai and its only me up here, yet flight radar shows I have traffic ahead of me, below me and behind me. I’ll stand corrected if I’ve misinterpreted “live traffic”.

There is traffic but if you are not close to an airport the radio will dead.

The last update also completely broke the ICAO system. The liveries and call signs are all over the place.

The way live traffic is currently filtered, only about 20% (at the very most) of actual real world traffic is represented in the sim. It’s something that Asobo are aware of and something that’s planned to be fixed in a future world update.

That said, the amount of traffic you see is very inconsistent. I can fly across Florida (busy airspace) and see a whole bunch of planes. Then I can go to KATL, the busiest airport in the world and see only a few planes. It’s really hit or miss when it comes to live traffic.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I guess we’ll have to wait for any improvements :+1:

I’m halfway from Sheridan WY to Tucson AZ ATM and haven’t heard a thing from anybody since WU4 today. Weird.

After the last update, the aircraft are no longer displayed as a “jet aircraft” but as a small propeller machine.

Re: the filtering. I did hear mention of this on one of the Developer Q&A Live Streams but can’t remember the details nor which episode it was in. Thanks a lot memory :grin:

I’m wondering if live traffic is suppressed/greatly reduced going in to Baltimore Washington International (KBWI) as the main runway is missing, 33L. Not shown on the “World Map” at all. We get a lot of real world traffic on this runway in part due to Southwest having a hub here.

I reported it via Zendesk right after launch (as did others) but there hasn’t been a fix yet. Really curious how the missing runway would effect the display of Live Traffic. Any info will be appreciated.

It might have an effect, yes. Live traffic currently appears to spawn very close to the airport, and more often than not with a runway already assigned and on final. If a runway is missing it could be that any traffic extracted from FlightAware with that runway assigned could be discarded.

Microsoft/Asobo really need to review the whole of AI traffic, in-flight and ground routing, interaction with ATC etc. etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.