Is this simulator still an absolute mess?

There seems to be an update coming to the FBW 320 to improve performance

2 Likes

I’ve been having a lot of fun with the CustomFlybyWire version lately, but it hasn’t been optomized.
I have no issues with frame rates.

And as the artice states, “it is already implemented in the dev version”.

Don’t fly with community mods. ZERO. They eventually cause CTDs, and probably contribute to performance issues in the title.

I have similar equipment to yours and am enjoying the title. VR has taken it up a notch.

1 Like

No they all don’t.
I have lots of them.
What happens is that as ASOBO updates the platform, and changes the code to correct some issues users are experiencing, these changes can cause a conflict with mods. Sometimes it is a mod affecting another mod, sometimes the mod affects the sim.
Sometimes it is absolutely fine.
It is trial by error.
Sometimes liveries cause issues, sometimes sceneries can.
Most of the time, simulator mods that change how the planes and the sim operate are usually always affected by these changes.

Right now, as of this posting, simconnect issues are causing a large amount of CTD’s.
The more info that uses simconnect in your sim, the more chances of a CTD.
ASOBO knows now what is causing them, and this is being addressed.
It may not be your mods.

1 Like

VR looks horrible and it’s not functional out of the box, you have to mess around to get it to work. So I have no idea where you’re coming from saying is great…

2 Likes

I don’t know where @Kloot8200 is coming from saying this, but I believe a good starting point would be:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/virtual-reality-vr/226

Followed by:
How Realistic is VR

It’s got bugs but I absolutely love the sim. Took me a while to really learn how to use it and get around with the keymaps but now that I have, I find myself spending way too much time on it. It will only get better with time.

Believe me - VR was a nightmare out of the box. Visually it represents what actual Level D sim graphics were/ kinda still are … it’s serviceable enough for what I use MSFS for… and that’s up become a better aviator. I equate it to be in a laboratory.

1 Like

I have been doing long haul flights over night and with mods, I will usually expect a CTD. Empty the mod folder and I will usually not get a CTD. I will try everything to tax the system by switching views, use ULTRA clouds and Navigraph. The most interesting situation was in the menus. The GPU works hard in the menus and then game freezes, still. If I unplug my USB audio interface and plug it back in - the game unfreezes.

I agree with Seven. Mods are technically “hacks” – that is, they creatively use unofficial methods to do what they do. For many mods, this may mean changing default aircraft files, sometimes with two different mods both changing the same files, thus breaking each other.

Since these mods are unofficial and are changing default Asobo files, an update predictable may breaks such mods, and the mods may cause CTDs until they are fixed. The big, reputable mods such as the ones by the FBW and Working Title groups, are typically fixed within a day or so of a sim update.

Also be aware that the majority of the external tools and applications like Little Nav Map, Navigraph, FSUIPC, and Pilot2ATC are based on the old FSX / P3D SimConnect interfaces. The sim’s SDK still allows many of those old calls, but the functionality to support it is in some cases not there or does not work correctly yet. That is the problem that is currently referred to as a SimConnect issue. It’s actually a problem with the third party tools and applications using the interface to get AI traffic information, and that query causes a CTD in the sim.

And finally, just as in the case of breaking mods that use unofficial methods to alter the sim, using the SDK SimConnect in an undocumented way is a gamble. Asobo has no responsibility for breaking the tools and applications of third parties that do this.

So, FOR NOW, as Seven said, you can use lots of mods and even most of the external tools and applications, but you just have to keep up with the latest info. You can even use the external tools and applications as long as you avoid the AI traffic functionality that causes CTDs. You must anticipate mods breaking with an update, and have to get the fixed version shortly afterwards. You have to avoid mixing mods that break each other.

In other words, you can absolutely use mods, but put in the effort to make them work properly. They’re usually free, and you know the old saying – “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch!”

Happy flying,

B

2 Likes

I’m going to install Salty mod for 747 again, and disable Live Traffic and see how it all works out. The above makes sense to me.

It’s currently AI traffic that is causing problems, but they may use AI traffic “slots” for Live Traffic – I don’t know. I’d turn them both off, see how it goes, then maybe Live Traffic if every works. If you then start getting CTDs, turn them both off again.

And BTW, Asobo says they are aware of the SimConnect AI Traffic CTDs and it will probably get fixed in a few weeks or so. People are reporting that Live Traffic isn’t working right in the sim, so Asobo still has some work to do there. But that shouldn’t cause CTDs – it just doesn’t work right.

1 Like

I’m using the Salty mod and haven’t had any issues.
Be aware though, the 747 liveries are definitely causing problems which can result in CTD’s.

2 Likes

I remember an update a few months ago started causing CTDs when Asobo changed the livery scheme. They started requiring manifest and layout files, and I think an actual model file. Then they backed off of that, and just required a reference to where the model file is located.

This can cause of lot of lingering issues with liveries. If a mod changes the aircraft model, the livery may not map correctly and boom! If Asobo changes a default aircraft model, bam!. If a livery includes an outdated aircraft model, whap! If the livery doesn’t include the now-required layout and manifest files, kerblap! If the manifest file refers to an aircraft model that doesn’t exist or is not in the right place – okay, I’m out of ideas for explosion noises, but you get the point.

My suggestion is that you be careful with liveries, and make sure you have the latest one. I also would get queasy about those livery “mega-packs”, and using lots of liveries with AI and live traffic planes. For probably about six more months, we need to think of this sim as being a work-in-progress in its very early stages. Only do what you know will work, and be patient on all the other stuff for just a little bit longer.

1 Like

VR is not required to enjoy this game and this game is not responsible for the current state of VR.

No, it works great and never crashes for me.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

That is not what I said, and I agree with you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.