Is VR worth it with the FBW A320?

I have a 3080 and it works great. Not pretending that I don’t have the odd issues and you need to tweak and play with things but I have it running beautifully now and expect it to get better in the future.

The hardest things are reading charts etc, even the navigator toolbar is hard to read at the moment but a fix is in the works for that as well I believe. Once you have tried it you won’t go back.

With VR is depends a lot on how fussy you are with the clarity and resolution of the headset, coupled with the sim settings. I’ve got an RTX 3080 and a 5600X and I can only use the big jets in VR if I crank all the settings relatively low. If I don’t then the sim sits at about 25 - 30FPS in VR and the stutters are fairly noticeable.

For my own personal preference I find VR really lends itself to the small and medium sized planes anyway. Sitting in a big jet like the A320 just isn’t that much fun for me in VR. The big jets are all about using all the cockpit controls and learning about flying these big airliners. Thats not VR’s strong point, for me anyway.

3 Likes

How does an RT5700XT do in VR?
Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Cores
32GB. 3200MHZ

1 Like

What’s the best VR headset right now? I don’t want Oculus cause I don’t have a Facebook account and have intention of creating one, but besides that, what would the community recommend?

I have a powerful machine so that’s not an issue (5600x, 3080ti, 32GB RAM, all NVME)

I use a 5800x with 6900xt and Quest 2. Fly on high to ultra and reasonably smooth. Have tried a 3080 and performance was similar but the 10GB Vram is a bt of a limit so had to dial down settings just a bit. I cannot go to pancake. So much immersion in VR you feel like you are really flying.

Not sure about the „can‘t go back“ :smiley: I switch back and forth all the time. I have a relatively old system and an Oculus Rift which has a lower resolution than more recent headsets. So I don‘t fly glass cockpits with it, i can‘t simply read them and my PC is too slow. But in P3D I used all my A2A aircraft in VR and in MSFS i fly the steam gauge props like the P149 or the Spitfire in VR, it‘s amazing!

I’ve been using a Reverb G2 for months and do enjoy the experience. Whatever you choose you’ll need to tune the settings a bit, there are plenty of guides out there should you need a few pointers.

I do mostly fly steam gauges but I have a substantial amount of hours in the Longitude with its glass cockpit, all runs fine on a 3070.

I do not use VR controllers as I vastly prefer the feeling of hardware buttons/knobs, but your mileage may vary. I find that I have plenty of controls between a gladiator stick and a Warthog throttle, while a trackball covers anything that’s not mapped to a button.

1 Like

On my side the A32NX is buttersmooth but YMMV

What in-game and OXR scalings are you using? I have a 2070s and seem to have lost the sweet spot, was just wondering what your 3070 can achieve.

I’m out for the weekend but I will check for you as soon as I’m back. I actually used a 2070S until a few months ago (pre SU5) and remember it being quite good with only some occasional hiccup here and there.

I only have experience with the Quest 2 and don’t remember seeing much feedback on the Vive 2, but from googling I see its resolution is above Q2 so yes it is high res (and probably around the point where current components struggle to drive it)

The only thing to beware is to have reasonable expectations regarding resolution, it won’t be as pin sharp as a 4k monitor and harder to read the instruments. But the immersion makes up for it by 10x :smiley: As a benchmark here’s annotated picture I made to show someone else, at top settings in Quest 2:

Hmm so I tried it and just ain’t for me.

So used to running the sim on Ultra settings on 4K that bumping settings to medium in order for VR to work is just not worth it for me.

VR just isn’t well optimized right now.

2 Likes

Whats Your system, I run a 2070 with 32GB ram. Graphics are ok, but sitting in the Bus’s cockpit is amazing…

What settings did you use?

When I first opened the sim i put everything to high. It was a slideshow. Even while the sim was loading into aircraft it was lagging. I had to force quit the sim. Then i tried with some low and medium settings but while it got better it was still a slide show.

So don’t really know where i went wrong but was very disappointed

Probably should have lowered the resolution.

If I’m correct you have a GTX 1060 6GB, the same as me. Can you send me your settings so I can try them out in both VR and non-VR

Hi, I have a 1080 and it works very well. I believe with the 3080 you can get higher outputs.
I use a quest 2, but flying IFR feels like not really making much use of the VR headset as most of the time you’ll be looking at clouds. The fun parts are only take-offs and landings.

After a while, i started Neofly, and it is so much fun to use the VR headset and fly GA. Go for it. :+1:

Maybe the Reverb G2?
some people reported issues, so you can try and refund if you are not pleased with it.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB Ram and a 1TB HDD along with a GTX 1080.
I use a quest 2, and tweaked the settings. It works fine. Your setup looks way better and should not be an issue.

It is all about managing your own expectations in VR.

1 Like