Is XCub difficult to take off and land or do I do something wrong?

I really enjoy flying the XCUb. Actually it is my favourite on MFS2020. I was flying Cessnas when I was flying the older MFS titles, but I really enjoy flying the XCub in the MFS2020. Flying mostly with the XCub means I have gained quite some experience with it. However I find it very difficult to keep it going straight when taking off or landing. All aircrafts have the tendency to turn on the ground, due to the propeller effect, winds etc. However the XCub seems to be uncontrolable sometimes. Even when landing with minimum speeds (close to stall) when it touches the ground it pulls very hard on the right or the left. Sometimes it even has the tendency to rollover and I end up leave the aircraft go off the runway instead of trying to force it go straight because it will roll over. I fly with live weather, so wind is an issue, but so it is in real flying. I use the X52 pro, it is a descent HOTAS for doing basic manouvres. Is to so difficult to control this particular aircraft on the ground or is it me who is doing something wrong?

1 Like

Hi there!
I have moved your topic into #aircraft:pistons
There are several topics about the HOTAS X52 you may want to take a peek at:
Search results for ‘HOTAS X52 category:161’ - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

While a hardware set-up may be your issue, conventional gear aren’t known for their great ground handling capabilities. I too, fly the XCub. It’s the only plane I fly. I’ve found that “keeping the plane flying” after landing works for me.

Here’s what I do, but it’s probably wrong. Immediately after landing I dump (retract) flaps to kill any lift, and chop the throttle/prop to zero. I gently push the nose down to keep the tail up as long as possible as I increase elevator trim to full up. When the nose drops, I pull full back stick to hold the tail to the ground, and ONLY then do I GENTLY touch the brakes. Pumping the brakes will also help prevent nose-over. During this entire time, I’m “pressuring” the rudder to keep it somewhat straight.

There are other variants of the XCub you might enjoy. Have a look at the Bush League Legends. Join the discord where you can get a lot of info and help.

1 Like

I had to adjust rudder sensitivity curves a bit to make XCub more controllable on the ground, it’s also helpful with other aircrafts.

The problem is extensive wind effect on the ground. It’s been reported and discussed since beta times but still not fixed

1 Like

it definitely has character and is move lively than the Cessnas, I would say.
But a lot of fun to fly.

2 Likes

I guess that hardware set-up is not the problem since I have flown many other planes in MFS and I did not face any similar behaviour from any other aircraft.

I will definitely try your method. Immediately retracting flaps surely will help. Throttle to zero is something that I do myself. Full trim up is an interesting idea, I have never tried it. You are right about the gentle touch of the brakes but the the whole thing of turning, takes place even if I don’t touch the brakes at all.

I totally agree about the wind. Concerning sensitivity, I have also adjusted the rudder curves. Without adjusting, even small rudder movements push the XCub to the left or right to a much higher extent than other aircrafts.

I completed the Nevada bush trip with the Savage Cub. It may not have the power of the XCub but it is a similar taildragger. With the Savage Cub I did not find any difficulties in using the rudder, taxiing, landing, taking off. Maybe the sim-edition of the XCub has been designed oversensitive in general.

Still, I like it very much.

You are right, it is much more lively than the Cessnas and really more enjoyable to fly. One other thing is that since it is an one-seater, you have much better view.

The slower you fly, the less effective the flight controls are and wind becomes an even bigger factor.

In a crosswind you should aim for a wheel landing instead of a three point landing and/or using less or even no flaps should improve controllability as well.

1 Like

If you’re flying the MSFS/Asobo XCub, that could be part of the issue as well. The mods on the BLL site could help. Namely the 215hp performance mod. I haven’t flown stock since early October, so I don’t remember how it behaves. If memory serves, handling has been tweaked quite a bit. I know that the Tundra tired version is completely differently on the ground, the Alpine version can slide sideways on landing, and the floater will nose-over and dunk you in the drink.

Also, BLL does group flights on Monday and Thursday nights, streamed to Twitch. We’re on a “round-the-world” in XCubs. Everyone is welcome. Any aircraft or skill level. We usually have between 25 to 40 joining on a given evening. We’re on a small break with the next flight on April 8th. Grab the liveries and mods from the site and join in.

2 Likes

Simply, yes, Tail wheel aircraft are quite difficult to fly compared to tricycle landing gear. They require excellent rudder coordination and anticipation.

I won’t bother saying more because I think others here have given good advice.

2 Likes

Tailwheel! All you gotta say.

1 Like

I would like to thank you all for your answers. You gave a lot of useful instructions and tips. Finally I did what many advised. I downloaded the 215hp performance mod by the BLL. Immediately all problems were solved. Handling and maneuvering seems much more smooth and realistic now. It’s still a taildragger, but it responds naturally to my commands with no unrealistic over-sensitive reactions. The power upgrade was also a pleasant surprise. More power means not only more fun but more capabilities too. @WardoMon52 thank you for your advice!

2 Likes

A tail wheel aircraft that is easy to control might be not very realistic :wink:, could be the case of this mod.
With tail wheel aircrafts you need to pull the stick as much as you can when you land : you land at stall speed and you KEEP the stick pulled as long as you haven’t stoped. If you don’t do that, there is not enough load on the rear wheel and then not enough control.

2 Likes

Depends on your skills. Except with strong winds I’ve never had particular difficulties to control a tail dragger. But I learned with one. (I’m talking about real planes, I didn’t want to use IRL abbreviation, cause I don’t want to anger some people here :wink:)

1 Like

Not every taildragger wants to land semi-stalled in a three point attitude, especially not in a crosswind.
E.g. the Decathlon POH recommends a wheel landing in case of gusty wind and/or crosswind.

I can’t say about you hardware, but if you need some nice tips and knowledge about taildraggers, which are definitely more difficult to land and take off than other aircrafts, I put three usefull articles there: Ressources for landing a spitfire mkIX

I hope it can help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right because semi stalled landing has a landing speed that is too low when the wind is gusty. But I was referring to “general” rules for inexperimented taildragger pilot, then it is better to land in a three point attitude so that it is easier to keep the stick the same attitude for the rest of the landing. Also it is possible that in MSFS they purposely increased the bad reactions of a taildragger. Anyway with the Xcub (on MSFS) I have no problem controlling it with this method. In real life I once went out of the runway during a landing (I had a taildragger) : I then never forgot to put the stick close to my belly on landing :crazy_face:

I am also a taildragger pilot in real life. But we have here some persons who have never learned to pilot one and as I said previously, I suspect the taildraggers in MSFS to be more difficult than the real ones. In the opposite the creators of the Xcub’ mod may have lower the natural difficulty of a taildragger to please the users, not a good thing in my opinion. A taildragger must be a bit more tricky :laughing:

I recommend making a couple of landing tests with weather ON and weather OFF to help identify what is part of the aircraft character and what is being added by wind conditions.

(Try this with either a weather preset or places with varying degrees of live weather wind)

I have found the impact of surface wind on smaller aircraft to be quite extreme (and oddly it seems to go in the opposite direction that the wind sock indicates.)

A little rudder on landing should be required even with clear skies/no wind. But I sometimes find myself applying full rudder even at minimal taxi speed in lighter aircraft when the winds hypothetically don’t even look high enough to fly a kite!