It's just not fun anymore

I am just hoping the 2-3 PetaByte consumer, home drives become available in the next 10 years.

If or when MS closes down the servers, that the end of MSFS 2020.

Seem to bring back memories of the unexpected closure of “Gamespy” with FSX !!! - for those old enough to remember …

1 Like

Yes but at least non-networked FSX looked the same as Networked FSX. Have you played this in ‘Offline’ mode. Theres like nothing there. It makes FS9 look like advanced graphics.

Thats why I didnt buy it, it was forced on me by one of my boys as a birthday present. And Ive told him already one day I’ll get even for it. BWhahahaha.

4 Likes

AHAHAHA that explains the BubbaBlitzing :smile_cat:

I must admit the manual cache make things more tolerable but I was disappointed to find photogrammetric terrain textures not included - although they probably can be saved with some difficulty using the SDK.

I never had these issues with FSX. Sure I screwed it up at one point installing too many dodgy mods. Yet re-install was quick and it all worked again just like that. With FS2020 you don’t have the option to go back to a stable version :confused:

PartMgr says noooo!

Why? Installing from CD is a lot faster than FS2020’s installer… While Blu-rays can be read at over 500 mbps nowadays, FS2020’s installer averages out at 20 mbps for me… Of course that would require some sort of finished product to put on blu-ray :slight_smile:

1 Like

When Acceleration came out I bought on the day, I could install but not register and was limited to a 30 minutes trial for at least a week or two before someone came up with the partmgr > PartMgr registry fix. I even had to uninstall just to play the old missions.

Ahh, I was spared that problem. I still have it installed on an old Windows NT machine, it still works. Although everytime I turn that PC off it’s installing updates again… Windows… It must be stuck on some failed update as support for Windows NT has ended years ago. But FSX still works!

(I have no CD player in my new hardware, can’t install lol. Network sharing between Windows 10 and NT, don’t even want to think about that. Still have PTSD from running XP next to NT next to Win 8)

1 Like

Yeah I think they fixed it after the first pressing so not everyone got hit but even now if I reinstall I still have to hit the registry.

1 Like

Uh, where to begin? For one thing, don’t put words in my mouth.

Did you even read what I posted? I described a scenario wherein users may have issues that are not the fault of MSFS. I did NOT use the word ‘stupid’. Not once.

You have not proven or even given any evidence of any ‘scam’.

YOU are the ‘sulking fittist’ here. Sad you don’t get that.

Set ‘ignore’.

1 Like

I’d personally rather they slow down a little. There seems to be a push to get WU and SU out every month. Given the choice, I’d drop the WU’s for the moment and just focus on SU’s and test them properly, even if it meant not receiving an update every month. This rushing is introducing bugs and issues and if they are not fixed soon, more will be piled on top. DX12 is also likely to introduce a number of issues too, so I’d rather they get stability and performance right, then introduce further beauty into an already beautiful sim. [Just my tuppence worth!]

4 Likes

That’s what I thought of. I don’t know how long it was before VATSIM/IVAO took over, and you could actually do it by just sitting at an airport, moving the drone to a suitable position and doing it over Discord or similar.

The looks are fine. Though a little work restoring the visuals for PC owners with better graphics cards would probably be a good idea and not a huge amount of work.

The problem might be the staff talents. If they have modellers and so on working on the WU, modelling Australian scenery or whatever, they aren’t going to be hugely useful to developers. I doubt it is the new scenery (Germany, Austria, Switzerland ?) that’s delaying WU6.

But aside from that, you are right, it needs to be debugging, sorting the aircraft and avionics out, fixing some of the odd UI issues (what is the “go back” key ?) and formalising the SDK to help PMDG and the rest rather than adding new features.

There are a few low cost things they could do. Don’t know if you’ve ever flown X-Plane but it’s open rear view doesn’t have the plane in there ; so an option to remove that would be good. An ATC view possibly as well, could encourage people to do ATC at the rapidly increasing number of flyins and flyouts or just at airports in general, as a more tolerant version of VATSIM/IVAO more open to beginners. A general tidy up.

2 Likes

I can live with the loss.

Well, i am having a GREAT TIME with it. Sorry your experiences have not met your expectations.
There’s always Pong or Donkey Kong to fall back on, those games were simpler but i admit, worked every time to soecifications. If simplicity is a prerequisite to make “fun” happen, to each his own.
I am willing to accept much of the responsibility in my own creation of “fun” as it relates to very complex simulation programming, which requires patience, constructive suggestions and balancing an endless and dynamic changing list of fixes and wishlist enhancements. I think most flight simmers do.

2 Likes

I notice that there are users, that are experiencing sluggish performance, lock ups all with reasonably high end systems. I have read that users re-install msfs 2020 and it has little effect in solving the performance issues. People have gone to the extreme and wiped out their drives, re-installed and still with little or no improvement. I have noticed that Microsoft installs a program called python. This program is used in linux as a software writing tool. Why it is installed on a windows based machine , does not make sense. It could be associated with the Windows Store or Skype or the browser Edge.
The location of this file is in your Users/xxxx/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps.
Look for any files named python and delete them. You programs will not be effected. Your machine will run much smoother.
It may be difficult to remove this program. It can be done in safe mode or the command prompt (knowledge of dos command’s required.) It also has to removed from the registry.
Erasing your Drive and doing a clean install does not get rid of this program. It comes in the windows update.
This program behaves like the reptile it is named after. It slowly strangles your computer.

It’s just an interpreter which works fine on both windows and linux. It’s not a tool to write software, but a tool to run in python written application code.

Incorrect, only applications written in this language will, if programmed badly or using a lot of resources. It’s as reptilic as a developer wants it to be.

Please don’t, you will not know what you will break. Untill you have done proper investigation in what uses it and which files are used.

2 Likes

I have removed this program long before MSFS 2020 was released. This program is exploited and needs updates. The latest I believe is ver 3.x I have seen many machines high end, laptops slow to crawl because of this. Your apps that require this programs with run fine with out this software.

For the first time since release, the desire to fly has gone. Since SU5 a lot of the magic has gone, which I compensated for by deep diving into airliners, mainly the A32NX which thankfully works very well.

However instead of looking forward to the next flight I find myself dreading what will go wrong this time (mainly due to ATC and buggy flight planning), what graphical glitches will show up this time and how bad the scenery looks from cruising altitude. The clouds lost their wow factor as well, turbulence is a joke and storms are never any threat.

It’s a shame, SU5 diminished the sigh seeing part of the game, while IFR flight never really worked well. Sure there is SimBrief, Vatsim, FSEconomy etc, but that’s all hampered by the core sim and I don’t feel like touching any of that until the game is stable. Same with the marketplace and other add-ons.

Time for a break until the next update. Will it make things better or worse. Will it install, will it run, why are those the questions that pop up in my mind instead of getting excited about new things to see and do :confused:

Anyway, I’ll probably do another flight here and there, yet apart from the start up and landing, the middle just doesn’t grab me anymore. Too bright, too blurry, too messy, too annoying (ATC).

It’s still an amazing piece of software but it’s time to take a step back.

5 Likes