It's just not fun anymore

Yes I think so as well, although in the spirit of your previous post about numbers, we don’t have the data to prove it :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you very much.
could you provide details abt internet connection, ping numbers by any chance?
should have asked in the earlier post, sorry.

With Speedtest?

Yes the expected specs from ISP (fiber, adsl, speed) and ping from speedtest would be nice :slight_smile:

Really sad to see you go. I always appreciated your well written and thought out posts. It’s always sad to have great and friendly people like yourself, leave or take a long break, but letme tell you, I understand you fully and respect your decisions/statements regarding the sim. You were one of the members that was here since day one and being very helpful and optimistic. My hope is that they can improve the situation, and maybe in the future we will have you back, and perhaps even happy while flying. Time will tell. Cheers

1 Like

I’m on a 500/500 plan (fiber) and currently 306 down / 277 up.

1 Like

Ping to where? I too have no crashes, i’m on 1gbps down/up. Ping to MS servers is 200-300ms.
90%+ the game crashes because people have modified something or haven’t emptied the community folder. Then there are all the third party apps which might cause ctd’s.

2 Likes

Yup, I too agree with that.

You’re right about that.
I just thought of asking for a ping from speedtest.net as a basic indicator.

I wonder if it would be useful to start a thread specifically focused on exploring correlation between internet connection quality and CTDs:

Do you have CTDs, if so how many
Results from: Bufferbloat Test by Waveform
Ping to closest CDN endpoint (how to determine that, I am not sure)

Locked Martin needs to purchase the original PC-version code (circa August 2020) just like they purchased the rights to MS ESP technology to create Prepar3D. They could call it Prepar4D. Maybe then we would have something useable for the high-end PC.

1 Like

There is already a thread for that.

How many CTDs do you have per number of Flights? Lets compare? 11

Yes thank you.
I meant a thread specifically focused on exploring correlation between internet connection quality and CTDs.
(edited previous post for clarity)

Actually, games are like this, especially flight simulators. Historically flight sims have always had these issues. It’s just the way things are. Games have also gotten more complex over time, introducing new technologies and methods of developing them, so of course there won’t be a smooth road to perfection.

1 Like

Man i just forked out a bunch of money on the premium deluxe version and then i saw this post😳, to be honest i havent had any issues yet, sim crashed twice but that was due to a 3rd party mod.
Im a life long gamer, but this is my first real dive into the flight world and im loving it so far, brought myself yoke, pedals n throttle, such an immersive experience,
I hope they fix these issues ppl are having as i would not like to have to start over with a different flight sim. But if this sim doesn’t get the right support i will have to look around.

2 Likes

Don’t let the forum spoil you the fun. :slight_smile:
There are a lot of users enjoying it.

2 Likes

Yea, i try not to read into things too much, I think that gets worse with age tho :joy:

2 Likes

Hi, I don’t think a crapy internet connectionis the cause of (some) CTDs. I am more inclined to say mostly it is user error in the form of running conflicting MODs.

I am on a VERY crapy internet connection and since SU5 I had two CTDs when attempting to exit a flight after plane shutdown (the logbook was already displayed). The 2 CTDs were related to addons (a airport) and specifically to a parking position. Once I figured that out, I didn’t had a single CTD, although sometimes my internet decides to sleep @ 10mbit down (yes you read correct, there is no 0 missing :wink: ) - so I think the issues is not 100% related to crapy internet.

I am more inclined to blame poor PC specs (to less VRAM and conventional RAM, HW incompatibilities and so on).
I have a slighly overclocked i9-9900K, 64GB RAM @ 3766 MT/sec and a overclocked MSI Suprim X RTX 3090, the game is installed on a 2TB Samsung 970 Plus Nvme SSD.

Well, mods might trigger a CTD, but the cause is always the sim.
It shouldn’t allow mods to cause such fatal errors - clearly it should stop the affected code from running without crashing.

So yeah, mods cause CTDs (like the FBW A320 did after SU5), but it’s not the user’s or the mod’s fault that it crashes the sim. It’s a matter of isolation.

Things like buffer overflows, endless loops etc are the most common ways for exploits in the IT world and every bit of software is advised to protect itself from such things - using sandboxing, strict APIs, checks etc.

3 Likes

I can see why you have that perception.

Just for perspective, here is a snapshot of my initial experience wrt SU5 as reported on the day hotfix2 was released:

As you can see third party mods were not the culprit.
Since then, the situation has gradually stabilized.
I only started using vetted mods after it stabilized.
I still have the occasional inexplicable CTD but less than in the days after launch when server load was at its peak.

That’s why I thought about exploring the correlation between internet quality and CTDs.
No assumptions there, just a healthy dose of curiosity.

This would be the best idea :smiley: . Just enjoy the sim and don’t care about the bad mood some are spreading. Currently the people complaining, are the loudest here. But the sim is still great (it is not bug free for sure, but this will get better) and I asure you, it gets and will get down the road alot of support.
As an example: Take SU5; Yes they messed it up and acknowleged it, but they react with the first hotfix after a week (with the weekend in between) and hotfix 2 another week later (also with the weekend inbetween). From a SW-Development view point this was insanely fast (finding the problem, fixing the problem, deploying the fix). And still there are some people complaining this was slow - come on (clearly no clue about SW-development :man_shrugging: ) …

1 Like