It's just not fun anymore

I picked up FSX: Steam Edition during the Summer Sale. (I have everything on disc but didn’t want to spend a weekend making fifteen-year-old software run on Win10. Plus, I’d have to plug in a USB optical drive!)

I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of payware, and countless amounts of freeware for FSX. On my old system - now retired - I spent hours and hours and hours getting everything “just right.” It ran pretty reliably, and I thought it was great. That was nearly a decade ago.

I’ve pulled up FSX: Steam Edition exactly once. And you know what? It’s just not fun anymore.

What I have been reading for the past week or so on the forum is VERY discouraging.

I had been having issues with my old laptop so I decided to order a robust new one so I can best enjoy MSFS while also doing all my non-MSFS stuff.

I have not played MSFS for about a month now while waiting for my new i7-11800H, RTX™ 3070, 32GB Ram machine. After reading all about this mess MSFS has become, I now wonder if I even care.

Don’t be taken away by it. For many, it is still really enjoyable and good fun, including me.

5 Likes

That is so sad! I"m genuinely sorry for you. I’m sure many others don’t find it fun anymore either. If I felt that my enjoyment of older flight sims was ruined by MSFS’s eye candy, or whatever did it for you, that would be the single worst thing about MSFS for me. Luckily, I am still able to enjoy sims all the way back to FS2004 and IL2:1946 despite their primitive graphics (although of course I’ve upgraded them with mods). Then again, I’m also the type who can still enjoy older driving sims like Assetto Corsa, older shooters like Fallout 3 and Half-Life, and many other titles that have outdated graphics but great gameplay. Not everyone can do that, I understand.

I really understand your pain. I did the same, and got a 2k PC just because of the sim. I got it 1 day before the SU5 “bomb” was dropped so that one day was the most I have enjoyed the sim after an entire year of awesome flights. Really sad and dissapointed with this… Everything was okay with SU4.

Áustin laughed when MSFS2020 came out. One Year later we know why…

3 Likes

Aren’t we all technically wrong about any given subject matter as we lack knowledge of the systems used to govern an expected result? I dont think observational biases of people in the comment section warrants condemnation of a “sky is falling” projection onto others. The few always ruin things for the many. But the moment I silence somebody, I immediately accept the same fate befallen to myself. CNN does the same thing. Does it not?

Granted, but I think takes us into the territory of acceptable failure levels within gaming / IT / software development, which I cannot comment on.

Given the number of software developers who contribute to the forum, I would be interested to know whether there are industry benchmarks for the number of users who are expected to experience CTDs / BSODs following a software release and how a notional rate of 4% compares to that benchmark.

And is there a sliding scale tied to the complexity of the software?

Or is that applying too much of a non IT lens to the problem?

LOL. All you who have such negative experiences maybe you should give up and go play somewhere else. The virtual skies are way too crowded as it is.

1 Like

Sure… just refund what I have payed and I will be pleased to move on. Honestely what a silly comment man.

4 Likes

Its probably some asobo developer sitting with a gaming pc and a QA rep from MS.

MS rep: people are lighting the forums up with complaints.

Asobo: ya, well. I can replicate all those complaints on this here gaming pc and then just blame the user.

1 Like

I was once part of the management team in charge of making release decisions for software that was in use on 100s of millions of computers around the world.

The mere suggestion that we would release software knowing it would create havoc on x% of computers would have gotten anyone fired on the spot.

How do I become a customer of whoever it is you work for? I must be missing out on some.fantastic products…

You probably are.

1 Like

Sooooo. Everyone was thinking your software would ctd pcs, but you couldn’t say it out loud. :thinking: sounds about right actually

1 Like

Not at all, I dont understand how you came to that conclusion.
I was answering PipsPriller post above, in case it helps clear things up.

I am in favor of just that, man.
Comment intended to be silly as ‘it isn’t fun anymore’ and every bit as useful.

I’m thinking about explaining myself, but just for the benefit of the forums practices, I choose to stay silent

Probably furthest from the truth… there are actually millions of people enjoying MSFS. I think most realize they are not flying real aircraft over real terrain, instead they are playing software comprised of millions of instruction strings to implement algorithms. All software games have bugs, some more than others. MS/ASOBO have been extremely transparent expressing issues when it comes to MSFS.

3 Likes

To be clear, it was not gaming software.
It was software used by consumers and businesses, and some of these businesses were spending significant amounts of money in software and support.