Jet blast/prop wash/rotor wash effects and interaction with the environment

Hello pilots!

How about seeing some jet blast / prop wash interaction with the environment such as with dust, vegetation/grass/leaves, water/spray on the runway and so on.
Thanks for your support!

It seems the Simulator lack of special effects, including the contrails and water trails on seaplanes (see the icon). I think it’s very important to have them, and I hope we’ll see them soon. Miss the water blast from the engines when the runway is wet.

3 Likes

I hope sometime there will be a jet wash effect in MSFS. In rainy/snowy conditions it would be awesome to see the power of the engines visualized in the form of a jet wash: rain particles blast away behind the aircraft during takeoff and during landing on the side/in front of the engine(s). Since we already have a particle based effect (contrails) I do hope this will make way into the sim as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe it is a matter of time. For sure it is on the list of particle effects… we need jet wash but also prop wash when on non-tarmac, perhaps landing tire smoke / dirt, all water effects for seaplanes and also AI ships, smoke from combustion engines (those old radials really need it)… plus sprays for agricultural and firefighting planes (distant future)… :smiley:

1 Like

For bush flying, it’d be cool if thrust could move grass like high winds do in the sim. With the updated SDK, I’d imagine that this could be possible. Also having a bit of dust/dirt behind the engine when thrusting up would be a nice touch.

1 Like

Let’s put a picture to get some more votes here… water trails can be improved, especially in below type of situation… C172 failed takeoff, water crash follows in 2 sec… before that, this happens,

I would love to see helicopters blow the grass and trees around.

As bad as BF2042 is the vegetation being blown around by aircraft is amazing.

Helicopters are already on the way. Why not add some dust when hovering over the ground?

I know helicopters are not official within the sim yet but in the third-party HC135, in VR and hovering a few feet off the ground - I was thinking how amazing it would be if the rotor downdraft interacted with the surface ( so visible in water or within grass).
Hopefully, this is earmarked for inclusion at some point.

Now that we officially have helicopters in the sim It would be great to see grass, trees and dust dancing away from the throttled chopper.

Cheers!

First of all: I love the new helicopters - thank you Asobo for this beautiful sim and your continuous work!!

Now, helicopters flying low aren’t just loud, but also come with strong turbulence and related visual effects. I’d love to see these visual effects implemented in the sim one day. And I hope it’s not just me! :smiley:
The strength and size of the effects (with their center located below the heli) should obviously vary based on altitute above ground and engine torque. They should decrease with the increasing radius from the rotor, resulting in the typical circular structures…

Implemented effects should at least include:

• GRASS ANIMATION
    with the tufts of grass waving in the wind back-and-forth quickly. The animation could be easily realized by skewing the grass bitmaps horizontally left/right with the pivot at the base.

• WAVING TREES
    Similar like grass, also nearby trees could get a simple waving animation. This should obviously need to be much slower and less prominent than the hefty grass movements

• WATER ANIMATION
    As an additional / blended-in water texture layer (see picture above)

• RING OF DUST / WATER SPRAY
    Could be probably best realized by leveraging parts of the existing smoke system and letting the smoke particles fly under the helicopter along the paths of the new CFD / 3D Thermals. This would even visualize realistic dust / water spray turbulence. The video linked below is probably beyond feasible real-time implementation, it’s just meant to visualize the ide and it’s understood that the effect in real-time would need to be much simpler.
    https://videos.pond5.com/landing-dust-fog-realistic-cg-footage-145921629_main_xxl.mp4

I’d love to see this in the amazing MSFS at one day and hope for some votes and thanks in advance for consideration by Asobo!

9 Likes

It would also be nice to have proper WORKING wipers that actually do something when you turn them on instead of just being a visual affect that does nothing to aid in getting rain of the windscreen.

4 Likes

Currently, only the aircraft wheels throw water into the air but the giant engines don’t do anything.
Here is an real-life example: 25MIN INSANE Heavy Rain Plane Spotting! Sydney Wet Runway & Crazy Engine Spray Takeoff Landing - YouTube. More noticeable by prop aircraft that don’t have the engines and wheels in close proximity.

I would love to see the spray effect and if I remember right it was there in fs9 and FSX, however, seeing how the sim handles volumetric effects at the moment my PC is going to melt.

2 Likes

2 years later and it’s still not added. Neither do we have any notable affects with water whatsoever. There’s no risk of hydroplaning on extremely wet runways. Ice on the ground has not affect or anything. Hopefully it’s added in 2024

I wish that for helicopters, weather you fly over grassy fields, or beaches, or over water, the impact of rotor downwash would be simulated :slight_smile: Thank you so much for all the hard work Asobo and for the amazing transparency in regards to the community’s wishes ! https://jjryan.com.au/index.php/helicopter-rotor-downwash-excessive-wind-fod-and-brownouts-what-are-the-risks/

Hey there. Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

I voted yes for this :+1:

Maybe one day it will come but I’m gonna assume it’s super low priority and could (would?) be quite heavy on performance too.

By the way you need to actually vote on your own topic here @FallibleFlame62 (it doesn’t automatically add a vote just because you made the topic. Silly I know!)

Looks to be shown in MSFS2024. It is conceivable that the rotor wash feature may eventually make its way into the MSFS2020.

Arma 3, The only first person shooter I have had experience with a few years ago, did rotor wash, through clouds, on terrain, marker smoke. I can’t see how difficult it could be.

DCS implemented it in its last public beta.