JFK runway 4L ILS off to the left

PIT is pitch (e.g. nose up or nose down). Y is best rate of climb (Vy), R is rotation speed (Vr). These speeds are taken from the plane’s Pilot’s Operating Handbook (POH).

2 Likes

No. Should be hand flying last segment.

ILS to 0 AGL is reserved for specially equipped airplanes with procedures designed for it. Flight crew must also be trained and authorized. See this note CAT II & CAT III landing.

1 Like

HethrMasn: Thanks again for the help. So a green PIT is good? Is not setting the Vr speed in the DA62 G1000 the reason why I do not hear the V1 rotate message?

trex5365: Thanks for the info. The PltPlan Go chart is missing that info.

Thanks to everyone for helping me be a better pilot.

I still have a problem hand flying and getting dangerously close to the begging of the runway but no more bouncing down the runway. lol

ILS is still better, to date there are a couple of LPV approaches certified as a precision approach (CAT-I), meaning that with the right equipment (approach and runway lights) the lowest you can go before you need to see the runway is 200 ft and you need 550 m Runway Visual Range - RVR (basically visibility) while ILS approaches can go down to zero - zero (CAT IIIB), these are obviously not offset approaches and need to be flown as an autoland, but way better than LPV approaches.

Nijntje91: Thank you for your response and for making my head hurt again. lol

Ok! lets take a look at the chart provide by trex5365 above. JFK ILS RWY 4R ( CAT II & III ) How would I use CAT III ? Do I tell the DA62 G1000 to use approach S-ILS 4R ? Does the S in front of the ILS mean CAT III

Again! Thanks for your help.

update: I’m in the DA62 G1000 and I don’t see how to load a CAT III I don’t think it can do a CAT III.

I have no idea what this S stands for, in the company I work for we use NavBlue charts+.

On the DA62 you can’t fly CAT III as you need autoland for that which you would typically only find on airliners, not on small GA aircraft. CAT II can be flown down to minima and then be landed manually if the aircraft, the airline, the approach itself and and pilots are approved for CAT II operations + all equipment is serviceable (a lot of IFs), highly doubt the DA62 is certified for fly CAT II approaches.

Usually you don’t need to do anything different from a normal ILS approach, you select the ILS frequency and final approach track, couple the approach mode and the aircraft will perform an Autoland if you don’t disconnect the autopilot. If anything is wrong the aircraft will warn you that it won’t be CAT II/III/autoland capable. On Airbus and Boeing you need to select both autopilots for autoland, but that’s about the only difference, just one extra button to push.

2 Likes

Nijntje91: Thank you for that info.

Ok! It took me all night and I’m sick of seeing JFK out my window but I think I figured it out. It’s not MSFS or I that’s the problem, the problem was my community folder. Once I deleted everything from my community folder, restarted MSFS, landings are now working as excepted. :smiley: Will try adding items to my community folder one at a time and see what happens. But first, I need a nap. :yawning_face:

Thanks again for all the support. This is an awesome community and I’m happy to be apart of it. :saluting_face:

update: I just did a JFK 4L ILS landing and it went straight down the middle. :clap:

Its not missing that info - the chart here comes straight out of FltPlan Go. This is 4R, not 4L.

For CAT 3 automated landing, the approach system at the airport must be equipped for it. THEN, in order to use it, you must be trained and authorized to perform the procedure. 4L doesnt have CAT III.

Finally, AIRCRAFT CERTIFICATION (per the note) is required - your plane has to have equipment designed for autoland.

The AP must have the ability to control nose wheel steering on the runway. The DA62 doesnt have this.

So you need to manually land this plane at all times. If you landed with the autopilot on and the plane went straight down the centerline without bouncing or crashing, that was a coincidence.

2 Likes

Hi Trex5365: I see the problem. I was looking at the “ILS or LOC 4L” chart and you’re looking at “ILS RWY 04R (CAT II - III)” chart.

I will try the ILS 4L again and see if it still goes straight in and not off to the left.

Again, thanks for the help.

update: Finished another JFK 4L ILS and with the same results. Runway is no longer off to the left and AP takes me down to minimums, then switches over to ROL/AP/PIT (all in the green) and down to the deck. All I had to do is adjust power and slight pull back on the stick at the end.

I DID IT. :grin: or to be fair, the AP did it. lol

I deleted everything in my community folder and Problem Solved. Runway is no longer to the left, GS/GP lock every time now and I learned how to use VPTH. :slight_smile:

Note: I did check runway 22R but it still lands to the left. I think HethrMasn is correct, it’s an offset LOC and that’s the issue.

Again!!! Thank you to everyone for helping a newbie out and being patient with me. You make the community better and FUN!!! :hugs:

So you are still on AP a few feet over then runway? Are you perhaps flaring with the AP still engaged? Be aware that this is not possible in real life, when the AP is ON you physically can’t move the controls or it takes a lot of force at least during which the AP will likely trip offline. So definitely don’t fly through the autopilot, kick it off before landing.

And that icing effect is so far away from reality, wonder who at Asobo came up with that, probably saw his car in the morning and thought, that’s what in-flight icing looks like :joy:.

1 Like

Hi Nijntje91: Yes, I took it all the way in on autopilot with slight flaring at the end. I just wanted to see if it could be done and yes, sometime the autopilot trips offline when I move the stick to aggressively. But!! I’ll never be a pilot in real life.

lol I agree the icing effect is horrible. :face_vomiting:

Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

That is an issue I have with the stock A320Neo too: the AP does not disconnect when you move the (side)stick (even considerably so) and one is able to perform quite some maneouvres “against” the AP. :thinking:

Its a MSFS wide problem, in real life this is not possible. You can’t physically move the controls without disconnecting the autopilot. The funniest thing is moving the ailerons with AP engaged. In the cockpit you will see the yoke move in opposite direction.

1 Like

Thank you! For the last few weeks, I thought I was going mad until I found this post. Yes, 4L is off but to the right slightly for me whenever I use approach mode in the Concorde. I have to disconnect at about 500ft. Plus on my last attempt, it rolled violently to the right with about 500ft to go before I got chance to disconnect! Almost as if it was going for a different frequency or even waypoint. I haven’t noticed this with any other runways at JFK or anywhere else for that matter yet.

Thanks for the post.