Just Flight Hawk T.1

Alpine Magic Returns 12 years later to MSFS2020 Next Week: Thursday 1900UTC at LOWI.

Further info at hawk-drivers-coming-soon-alpine-magic

But I’ll leave you with this as a Teaser,

KR, IslandControl

6 Likes

Will we get a version with HUD?

The Hawk T1 was never equipped with a full HUD so our version will only be available with the basic gunsight.

Martyn - Just Flight

2 Likes

I have SO few complaints with the Hawk… but I do have at least one. The positioning of the GPS unit is a bit problematic. The problem is that the MASS (master armament safety switch) is right underneath the right bezel of the GPS (when in the basic cockpit view), and the hit box for it overrides a couple of the softkeys on the GPS unit, making certain things hard to select/change on the GPS unless you swing the view way over to the right, which creates enough visual separation for the two items to stop overlapping.

Having said that, I don’t know if it can be fixed, because things are where they are…

1 Like

This is another one of those frustrating quirks/bugs of MSFS and we’re working with Asobo to find a solution for it.

Martyn - Just Flight

3 Likes

Hi Martyn (@NORTMAR), has Asobo given any indication when/if the TACAN bearing issue will be resolved? Just done a cross country flight from Culdrose to Leeming and tried to follow the correct TACAN routes (VLN, BZN, MAM, LEE) but frustrating not to have the bearing indicated only distance.

I’ve flown the Hawk a number of times using the TACAN with range and bearing information. The ILS/VOR seems a bit wonky, but the TACAN has worked as advertised. When necessary I use the TACAN channel to VOR frequency table in the manual, but most charts show both.

VOR/ILS I have no problem. Take the screenshot below (sorry about the bad quality taken with my phone), Brize Norton TACAN 56X 111.9, distance 9 showing yet bearing needle is locked. This happens to me for all TACAN. VORs show both. This has been asked before in these forums and the reply can been seen in the linked thread, hence why I’m asking if any update whilst highlighting its a bit of an issue.

1 Like

I’m probably misunderstanding your problem, but isn’t the green TACAN Bearing Needle showing a valid bearing in the screenshot?

No it’s in the locked position. I was roughly due North of the TACAN.

I’m not sure what to tell you, when I tune in the TACAN channel it gives me bearing information as well. I’ve flown it outbound and inbound to stations on a number of occasions, even connected the AP (which I know doesn’t exist in RL) to it, and it tracks just fine.

Did you try the same TACAN station? TACAN stations are mapped to either VORDME or DME stations in MSFS, so results may depend on the specific station.

This was my suspicion, that in fact a VOR/DME station was being tuned in not a TACAN as both can be tuned using the TACAN equipment. TACAN stations in the UK are as below and although I’ve not tried them all the ones I have all resulted in only the distance being shown.

Please if anyone wants to try and report back, maybe Brize Norton as that was in my first post the it would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi, so I tried a flight from EGOV to EGYM using the TACAN routes. You are right, the VYL and BZN showed DME only, no azimuth. When I tuned WAL, a VOR/DME, using the TACAN equivalent channel, I immediately got azimuth and range. I was almost sure I was able to get azimuth off other TACANs not in the UK, but I’ll keep an eye out now for that. Maybe they’ve all been VOR/DMEs instead.

I didn’t try tuning the VOR frequency of the VORTAC to see if it gave me azimuth, that may be an option to try.

1 Like

That was not exactly what I meant. MSFS does not really model TACAN stations, only VOR, DME and VORDME. In order to model how civilian aircraft interact with these stations, TACAN stations are mapped: TACAN becomes DME, VORTAC becomes VORDME. This works for civilian aircraft, as a civilian aircraft cannot use the bearing information from the TACAN. The Hawk can, in real life, but in MSFS you don’t because you effectively have a DME station. If you tune in to a VORTAC, you have both, but you are using the bearing information from the VOR part of the VORTAC not the TACAN part. Tuning into a VORDME also works I guess.

Things are explained nicely here:

1 Like

I understand fully. My point that you’re referring to was that the other poster who said had no problem was not selecting TACAN stations. Military aircraft use TACAN routes but at the moment we cannot do this unless we just follow a GPS route mapped to TACAN stations rather than instruments. This I find frustrating and would like to know if any hint of it being resolved.

I can confirm that the BZN TACAN only provides range information, this is as expected within the limitations of the sim (TACAN being represented as a DME). I’m hoping that with the SU7/Game of the Year release this will be fixed as this update will introduce the Super Hornet (I mean how else are you going to find the carrier without the TACAN bearing info?).

The weird thing is that in the world map the BZN TACAN is shown as a VOR/DME:

Perhaps the logic to convert TACAN to an MSFS supported navaid is differs between the world map during flight?

Good point about the Hornet. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Hope no one reading this thinks I’m having at a go at Just Flight. In my opinion they’ve released a superb aircraft and this issue is something that Asobo should deal with. I just raised it here as it affects the Hawk and that is the only military jet I fly.

Has anyone else had trouble with getting the GTS started? Been following the checklist through and only once have I managed to get the aircraft started without having to resort to Ctrl+E (and even then, I had some trouble getting the GTS going, turns out the LP fuel cock was in the up position). The fact it’s worked once makes me think I’m the problem and not the aircraft, but even following all the checklists, it just doesn’t seem to want to do anything other than a quick flash of green on the rotation indicator before going back to black. As a means of testing it, what’s the absolute minimum that needs to be done to start the engine (leaving out ‘unnecessary’ items like anti-col lights, etc)? Just want to eliminate the possibility that I’m somehow missing a step on the checklist.

Can you check that your throttle level is remaining at idle throughout the start process? Anything about idle will cut out the starter. A green rotation indicator suggests you’re getting as far as rotation of the engine and firing of the ignitors. Our YouTube channel has a startup tutorial, the manual has a tutorial and there is full support for the MSFS checklist system, so if you’ve tried following those without success then something like throttle position is the likely cause.

Martyn - Just Flight