Just Flight PA-28 Arrow underpowered?

3 Blade Prop on the JF Arrow . Might that be the Reason for the apparent Reduction in Power ?

OAT was 10C for my test which would give a TAS of 117 kts according to the chart. Approx in the middle of the two aircraft. Carenado is too high but JF seems low. I will do some more tests of the JF.

They made the titles to be linkable, they’re still there. I just did not copy it.
The manual is free to get, so you can check yourself.

Still I’m trying to find the reason that you think the TO’s values for Carenado are matching the POH better than from the JF variant.

Did you lean the engine on peak? Also the chart is for 2200rpm, so you were a bit higher.

Try to reproduce numbers from the chart, that’s easier to check than trying to get the chart to match your setup.

I’m not, I agreed with you, it’s impossible to understand the OP’s issue without the temperature. I was wrong on that. I made an assumption on temperature and was wrong. I was just confused by what you were saying when you said the JF plane was off to their own numbers, and then was commenting on JF’s formatting of their page. Removes a bit of important information.

Where did I say that? I’m saying the opposite, it’s spot on for the charts they provide, at least for me.

I’d message you, but I can’t… I posted a picture of a real 1977 PA28R-201 POH… then you said

I interpreted that to mean that JF’s performance numbers were slightly different from the numbers from their own manual. I read it wrong apparently.

Yeah, I meant the numbers of your POH page are different than in the ODM from JustFlight :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also worth looking at the table which gives the power settings (manifold pressure and rpm for each of 55%, 65% and 75% power). These tend to be slightly above what the dev tools (and hence the sim itself) reads as those percentages. Not sure if that would actually make a difference to anyone unless they have dev mode enabled and know what they are looking at, but thought I’d mention it in case.

I have found the OAT gauge is wrong. I set the temp to 16.5C (where the slider stopped) on the ground in the pic below and the OAT gauge showed =1C If I set the the altitude over the corrected temp on the airspeed indicator it gives a much higher TAS. Right now in the sim I am at 11,000 feet and using the corrected temperature and the TAS is 143. The Arrow III manual gives a TAS of approximately 142 knots with 2500 RPM using the speed power-performance cruise chart.

I’m curious if anyone else sets the temp on the ramp or runway then looks at the OAT gauge and sees the same 15 degree difference. It appears the OAT gauge is showing ISA and not outside air temp.

Not sure what chart you are referring to. I don’t see any chart that goes over 140. Interesting about the temp gauge. I think you are right that it is showing ISA temp. I did some more testing and my aircraft is definitely not performing to the ODM numbers. Will tabulate and post tomorrow.

I am using actual numbers from an Arrow III manual I got off the net. The airplane’s TAS at full power is supposed to be 153 knots. - See Below - Page 80. They could be different years but they shouldn’t change performance that much.

Piper CHEROKEE ARROW III Information Manual (Page 80 of 159) | ManualsLib

Yes! I’m noticing the discrepancy in the OAT gauge, too. More than 10 degree celsius difference also in my case.

I believe some folks have reported that issue to JF already, so hopefully we get a fix in the near future.

In the meantime I’m looking at Little Navmap and other simconnect apps hoping there is an OAT reading I can use.

Why not use the charts provided with the addon? It contains performance tables that the addon is based on.

OAT gauge seems to consistently read 15 degrees c below actual in game temp at MSL. To me seems like just a calibration issue where ISA at the surface has been set as 0 in the tables by mistake.

As for power settings and performance, here are some figures from the real G-TEBZ - 120kts CAS with 21.5" and 2400rpm at 2500’ and +5 ish degrees C. This is what I tend to cruise at for cross country nav, and it’s pretty ■■■■ close to the JF Arrow numbers.

Edit for info - Full rich mixture and about 2600lbs.

2 Likes

I will try those settings and let you know what I get. I assume close to max gross and max lean to peak? Thanks.

Yes that would have been helpful :smile:

That’s usually full tanks and about 400lbs of pilots and flight bags, so not quite max gross. We don’t tend to touch the mixture at all. It’s only really necessary above 3000’.

Carenado Arrow has also newer wing design. Just Flight one is an older model. I personally didn’t find speed difference being as drastic, perhaps 5-10 knots.

Just wait for the turbo. That’s why I haven’t purchased the standard version. As soon as the turbo comes out I wouldn’t fly the standard anymore anyway.

JustFlight and Carenado are both Arrow IIIs and have the same tapered wing design.

1 Like