Just Flight PA28 crosswind landings

That’s exactly what it feels like! The last time I touched this I thought I had, for example, configured a 20kt wind from 270, to give me 10 at ground level(!), and possibly misconfigured 5kt gusts from 90.

But when I went and checked, they were both at 270, but that’s not how it felt. It would have to be exceptional timing to only strike just as I am about to rotate though, and quite often as well.

1 Like

good to know, thanks

1 Like

I’ll have to investigate more, yesterday I did quite a lot of touch&go at Cuervo airport (Azores island, renown for gusty winds) and every time I was touching down the plane was wildly pushed into the wind (while on approach I was managing to crab quite comfortably).
Again at takeoff, roll off was almost impossible due to the steering effect of wind, impossible to dominate with wheel/rudder.
I thought that it was something to do with JF PA28 but it seems to affect any GA.

1 Like

It affects all aircraft, even the 747.

I didn’t have such a problem with the FBW A320…

Even with a direct 35kts crosswind component and gusts?

I discovered that what rudder assist does is it couples the aileron input to the rudder, in other words, if you have yoke assist on, you can literally steer the aircraft on takeoff roll using the aileron input alone. This makes realistic wind correction on takeoff impossible. For instance with a crosswind from the left, you want left aileron and right rudder, but when you do that you are really applying left aileron and left rudder which makes the weather vaning worse. .

1 Like

The same goes for the cessna 172.

As soon as you touch the ground, the physics of the plane changes dramatically.

1 Like

But controllable. The Arrow seems way more twitchy by comparison. Maybe other aircraft parameters affect how badly a given plane will be? Though if the 747 is affected as well, we might be able to safely eliminate simulated mass from the equation. :wink:

I’d guess it’s a ground friction problem, …XPlane has the same issue, not enough weight on the wheels, the Sim needs to transition from Rudder authority under 40kts to full nose wheel authority with good friction and weight. I guess it’s tricky programming, but vital.

Getting the nose wheel of the ground as fast as possible does help with that yaw.

On the ground I assume…

I meant on take off. The unexpected yaw seems to kick in just before rotate. I’ve noticed that the yaw seems to happen less often if I am trimmed up more than usual, and pull back on the yoke harder than I normally would.

If not perhaps it’s just coincident with the wind on those particular takeoffs.

I understand. One important item is that you need quite a bit of push on the yoke if the nosewheel is supposed to help maintaining the centerline since only ~15% of the aircraft weight rest on it.

1 Like

i think all msfs planes ‘snap’ into wind as they become airborne in crosswind.
cant stop it.

1 Like

did you notice that PA28 turbo arrow III is much more stable than IV with T-tail? Yaw waving from left to right is terrible on IV version, III is much more stable on approach… is that difference real or is it bug?

No significant difference IRL.

It’s apparently an oversight in the III. The IV has the (somewhat) intended behaviour.

Though it seems the oscillations are a side effect at the moment and in the Just Flight forums the FD designer was commenting that this was going to hopefully be significantly improved once some flight model updates came through in a future sim update.

I’ve been flying the turbo arrow III as my main ride since it was out. I found the take off and landing transitions to vary. Often the dumb fishtailing happens, but not always. Normally use live weather. So, I tend to think the wind and/or gusts are the driver.

I seem to reduce the problem by rotating early, maybe 60kts…and let speed build holding a slight nose up attitude. Wonder if wt on the nose could be in the equations that define takeoff transition.

I find nose up trim helps a lot on take-off in all aircraft and that includes the JF Arrows. There is a tendency to wheel barrow that in real life can be compensated by light back stick but in game can only be countered with nose up trim.

In terms of landings in crosswinds they seem more manageable in the Arrows if you do a slipping power on approach rather than crabbing.

In real life, crabbing is not really recommended in high crosswinds for very light aircraft anyway - it may be easier to maintain the centreline but because there is no momentum in the direction of travel the transition when you yaw can put a lot of sideload on the undercarriage and tires. ( Airliners are the opposite, a slipping approach risks a pod strike but crabbing is fine as the aircraft has enough momentum to continue in the direction it was pointing on short final no matter how you yaw it. )