Just Flight Piper - Aileron Trim

Hi all!

Sotty if this has been asked before but is the aileron trim in the JF Piper enabled in the sim or not?

I’m not asking if the REAL plane has it (I believe it does not) but only the one available in the sim. I fly with a stick and keeping a continuous right bank to compensate is a bit tiring and unnerving…

Thank you!

Aileron trim doesn’t seem to work with the JF Arrow so they probably disabled it.
But i’m not constantly correcting the plane, it’s very stable when the fuel tanks are balanced.

2 Likes

Thank you!

It is a pity they haven’t enabled it to give users the choice of using it or not… :pensive:

1 Like

Yes i agree, especially because they also added alt hold while the real plane doesn’t have it!

They have probably tried to be all things to all levels…ie ALT hold.
Re Aileron trim, change tanks every 20 minutes…that’s what I do in PA28’s IRL…see if that helps.
Don’t forget if rudder trim is off, that will also induce a “wing down” effect, obviously using opposite rudder will counter this…or opposite aileron!

You can always flick on the autopilot switch without the heading switch, this turns on the wing leveller.

@Gnampolo3745
To correct the various left turning engine/prop effects, you use rudder trim IRL (and in the sim).

1 Like

Check if fuel tanks are balanced. Left rolling sounds very much like you are only draining the left tank. At least that was a mistake, I made, too… :smiley:

1 Like

Whenever I’ve dialed in enough rudder trim to cancel my left bank it looks like the plane is in a sideslip and flying uncoordinated.

Am I doing this wrong? Seems like flying this way would be uncomfortable in real life.

When this happens the left turning tendency is not being caused by the engine/prop effects, but e.g. due to a gross imbalance.

That said, MSFS unfortunately exaggerates the moment arm like FSX did.
Any off-center load has a noticeable greater effect than IRL.

If you are e.g. flying without a copilot, the left turning tendency will be noticeable, while IRL this is almost no factor for most aircraft.

A fuel imbalance will be even worse if the FDM designer doesn’t compensate for the MSFS moment arm simulation.

2 Likes

True the jf arrow defaults to not having a copilot which is a bit annoying, I’d rather they default to one with the show copilot toggle being purely cosmetic

Does a copi appear if you simply add the pilots weight to the copi side in the weight & balance menu?
Should only take a few seconds and results in a more realistic behavior for the whole flight.

A left banking tendency almost always comes from engine torque / P-Factor. This means that at the same time you will see the bubble (slip indicator) move to the right a tiny bit. So normally stopping this bank with right rudder would bring the bubble to the center.

If it’s centered and the airplane still banks this can have all kind of causes from the CG being shifted to a side, dirt, dents… Then you’d set aileron trim - or if not available - fit a trim sheet to the right aileron. Of course the latter is not possible in the sim.

The Arrow has been very stable for me so I doub’t that it’s a problem with the model but rather you only feed from the right tank or your controls might be “badly” calibrated. My T16000m for examle already gives right aileron when I release it. just a tiny bit but enough for the sim. So I have to set a small null zone.

Edit: thanks to the weird forum design with the replies I didn’t notice that PZL104 has actually already answered it… sry ^^

3 Likes

Thank you all for the replies!

I’ll try to counter with rudder but I hope that does not introduce too much sideslip (like someone said).

I’ll also drop a line at the JF forum and ask for an aileron trim: I know it is something the real plane does not have but like the ALT HOLD feature, at least give us the choice to use it or not … :wink:

I think you can add it via the weight menu, but I always forget, hence I wish it was set by default. I think you can change this by editing one of the xmls.

You cannot enable the option via the weight menu but after reading your post, it came to my mind that probably you can enable it by editing the “flight_model” CFG file. There’s an “aileron_trim_effectiveness =0” in there and changing it to some value different than “0” might work… :thinking:

I don’t like fiddling with the CFG files and I think this should be enabled by default by JF. :+1:

I think if you’re using state saving, it will also remember the payload (as it does with fuel).

Unfortunately payload weight doesn’t get saved.

You have the option of letting the model manage fuel tanks for you. Again, not an option in the real aircraft, but it will help balance the payload.

FWIW… I do not have the issue of wing drop - left or right - once established in cruise.

1 Like

It’s improved a lot with the latest 5.02 update. You can also enable the copilot on the EFB and he’ll always appear if you check the ‘save state’ button; also use the left fuel tank first to lighten that side, and add a touch of rudder trim if needed.

1 Like