Just Flight

I bought direct from Just Flight. Their site is excellent to use. Turned out I had an account … after resetting the password, I still have products I bought from them 10 years ago for FSX (that I’d long since forgotten). Still listed, still available to download.

That’s gotta be reassuring.

6 Likes

But that’s not always possible (going directly to the dev). I worked for a dev for FSX years ago - a very popular add-on (might be the most popular add-on, but that’s a guess) - his product was marketed by Just Flight on CD - and later by download.
For CD sales (retailing at £27.99) his cut was… wait for it…

50p.

edit: just want to add that this was before discs went out the window in favour of downloads

1 Like

I wonder if simmarket offer better rates to independent devs. £0.50 is really low.

I have no issue buying outside of msfs, although admittedly in Fsx it could be a challenge knowing what I had bought from where… I did have a lot of addons as most people did

To me JustFlight is a very serious developer. I’ve been a customer for some time (coming from X-Plane) and I have only had good experiences.

I really hope they’ll one day bring their L-1011, Fokker Friendship and Boeing 747 classic to MSFS. If the work they delivered with the Pipers is anything to go by I know I’ll be a happy simmer for a long time to come.

1 Like

I’ve definitely bought more from them than any other online add-on shop. Probably around 30 in all.
Although I have had one or two misgivings about them (and their VCol-esque claims in some of their scenery marketing), they are usually top notch as an e-tailer, with good support (though I greatly dislike their new forum and refuse to register) and are the only FS seller that has given me refunds (and offered even more, which I gratefully refused) on downloadable products.

They have released some really bad add-ons in years past, but in recent years seem to have got their act together a lot more. Aeroplane Heaven made a large amount of the add-on aircraft sold under the Just Flight name and though they are good, they do tend to have a sort of a cartoony appearance in the virtual cockpits. I still buy them, though, and just ignore this appearance, as all the proper kit and gauges are where they should be, so wth.

They also have their discount system, of course, which has been very useful for me at times. With regular sales, you can pick up some decent add-ons for a very small amount using your discount points.

edit: I underestimated - I just went and checked and found I’ve bought no less than 77 FSX and P3D products from them - plus two for this sim!

I love how they give you rewards points toward the cost of future purchases, that’s kept me loyal to them ever since the Arrow. I wonder if the Warrior will have a similar discount to the Turbo Arrow for those who have the regular Arrow? And very much looking forward to seeing their take on the Hawk, the more modernized cockpit on the Goshawk doesn’t really inspire me as much, when I buy a plane from Indiafoxtecho it will be the MB-339.

I never had any issues with purchases from JustFlight.

Also, I keep a opy of my invoice in the same folder where I store the installer. I have folders on an external hard drive for each flight simulator platform, and in those subfolders for Aircraft, scenery, Airports and Tools.
In the Airplanes folder I have subfolders for each airplane I own. There I have the installer file as well as a copy of the invoice stored.
This way I always know where I purchased a product.

An advantage of purchasing directly from the developer is that you have immediate access to updates/patches. Marketplace takes forever to offer those.
And then people are whining why a released update/patch is not available for them yet.

So, I will always go for a purchase directly from the developer 1st, as it also gives them the full reward in payment for their efforts.
But that’s just my personal POV, of course.

4 Likes

this is how it’s done

Yeah, I do the same. Except all my installers are stored on OneDrive - just in case a hard drive fails. :wink: The folders all include the current version number in their name.

Just for balance that figure is incorrect. Without going into too much detail if we’d have published that product on his behalf he’d be looking at getting around £14 PU sold slightly more if it was exclusive to us. Whoever told you it was 50p they have got their information way off or you’re mistaken. Just wanted to clear that up please.

1 Like

Believe they have upped their game and are acting much quicker now. Our Arrows are going to them this evening. We hope they’ll be on sale at the MP at some point next week although of course if they find anything that needs addressing during QA (which they do do now hopefully) then time will be added there.

Reasons why the Arrows aren’t there yet…

1. We made the decision to ensure we have an exclusivity period in terms of sales for all of our products. This period will vary between two weeks and a month. That’s for commercial reasons and just the way it is I’m afraid. The vast majority that buy from us end up being happy that they made that decision.

2. The longer delay with the Arrows was due to various updates that we wanted to implement into the program. Sending them off to the MP during this process would have meant sending updates to MS as we produced them and it could get messy in terms of who is using which version of the products. Now they are pretty stable we’re happy to send them out to third party stores.

3. MS could not operate the discount scheme where Arrow owners receive 66% discount on the Turbo Arrow. We asked and asked but got nowhere with that so had no choice to wait until both were ready so we could send the bundle too which will mean users wanting to buy both Arrows but who only wanted to buy from the MP could get some sort of a discount. That’s the best we could do folks.

Hope that helps to clear things up a little for you all. Thanks.

7 Likes

Hi there

Thanks for the comments ref the Reward Points. You’d not believe how many points sit in accounts without being used. :slight_smile:

Arrow or Turbo Arrow owners will qualify for a 25% discount on the Warrior.

Hope that helps.

9 Likes

It does! I remember you guys did the Carenado P3D sale a couple of months ago for 50% off. I got like 13 of their aircraft and a couple ended up being literally free because of reward points. I love that about your store! A2A does it too and I love that!

Well it’s not really my problem - but that was what the dev himself told us, which was his reasoning for getting us to try and persuade potential customers to buy the download instead - so that he would get a larger share of the profits.

Count me as one of the “vast majority.” Future releases will always be purchased directly by me from Just Flight. The installer works without issue, and customer service is top drawer.

4 Likes

Do you really need customer service for this type of purchase?

Yes.

(ten characters)

By all accounts, if a marketplace install of a P3D product does play up (rare but has happened according to these forms) Zendesk are not always helpful and the original dev cannot do much as it is an encrypted MS install. Buying direct can be safer.

1 Like

We had over 200 support tickets for the initial Arrow release all for various issues and the majority were solved by the team. So it would suggest good reliable customer support does work and can be a factor when choosing where to purchase from. Hope that helps.

8 Likes

well in most cases the prices are always higher in official store.so the developer anyways gets their price. Atleast thats what i have seen for orbx products. They are always priced higher in store.