Just Flight Piper Arrow III looks so good!

I still don’t really get why the Piper is so hard pulling to the left. Just tried several other prop aircraft (Asobo/stock) and they do not do this, except during take off which is normal. Is this a bug? I constantly need to steer the Piper to the right (or trim rudder) to get a somewhat straight flight.

Ok guys, I now recorded the behavior, that also probably @VivaceDegree988 faced, from cold&dark to the issue happening.

I’m not following full checklist here, but notice that I don’t touch the autopilot before airborne (only turn the coupler to NAV since that’s what I’ll need), but the issues start on takeoff roll. I have to apply more and more rudder and as soon as I get enough lift, the aircraft goes full right roll.
When counteracting it, at some point my input “kicks” in and I have control again, just like I had overruled the autopilot (which is still off!).

When thinking that it’s okay now, I try to engage AP, it again starts this extreme roll to the right for no reason. I again go full left to counteract until the AP decouples due to my input and I can stabilize the aircraft.

When I look left on the wing and enable the autopilot using the autopilot master switch on my joystick, you can see the aileron going for a right roll, but then suddenly the AP behaves normally, I can tune in a HDG and then the NAV mode also works.

It all happened after a fresh start of MSFS without any reloading etc. State saving on the addon is disabled.
Every time in the video you see a sudden left roll is where my input overrides the AP and it kicks out.

Any clues? I know I did not follow the Autopilot checklist which includes some tests with the knobs. But I think without the checklist it should be initially completely off.

I will also send this to Support to investigate…

I think the state saving sometimes goes wonky as well. I’ve had it start up with fuel turned on, and off between sessions.

But you do use state saving, right?
I don’t, so I expected the aircraft to be fully clean, ready to go without any remainder of a previous flight (I don’t know what happens with state saving if MSFS crashes - does it then save inflight state?).

1 Like

Thank you that you confirm my own experience. As I see no adverse yaw work was done with version 1.14.5.0 by Asobo. But I have the feeling that rudder has a more realistic feeling now. Your opinion?

Hmm, I think I might have caught the issue.
If you use the coupler dial on the ground to set it from HDG to some other state, it seems to activate the autopilot in the background without the switches being toggled.

The only thing I just did was not changing the coupler (leave it on HDG), then after takeoff (without issues) turn on AP and then switch the coupler to NAV and enable HDG switch.
This way, all was fine…

EDIT: Tried more things. So turning the coupler is basically the issue, it enables the AP without flipping the switches. On the ground you can see full aileron deflection (I just didn’t notice it before). Note that in this case the yoke does NOT reflect this - it’s perfectly centered:

If that happens, cycling the AP Master switch (via Joystick) seems to be the only way to disengage it.

3 Likes

I live out in the sticks and only just got the Arrow done before the update hit. With the internet around here, combined with real-life shifts, I actually haven’t flown anything in the sim since the update (which, when you include the SDK, only finished downloading this morning :roll_eyes:)

I’ll drop you a note when I get a chance to fly something!

Yes, I’ve noticed this too.

1 Like

Yes, and I’ve had no crashes so far with this patch. I have been testing things, and to stop an empty log being written I ALT+F4 out of the sim so perhaps that might do it?

I have no idea how state saving behaves, but it at least is not the reason for my issues since I never enabled that option.
Anyhow, I seem to have found the reason, I’m just not sure if it’s really prohibited to use the coupler knob while on ground. I don’t think so, which is why I updated my ticket. Let’s see what support says.

2 Likes

I had the same issue, when run for takeoff after iniciate to rotate they roll all for left and hit the ground, i had open one ticket with justflight

I guess the direction of roll depends on your OBS, mine was always right :smiley: Let’s see what they say, it’s clearly reproducible.

I don’t seem to have this problem.

1 Like

I have the same issue. After take-off aircraft banking left until I turn autopilot on. I tried with the rudder trim but it is useless because I am not able even the flight. I have flown today other GA planes and I didn’t notice such behavior like with this Piper. It must be a bug…

1 Like

The issues you’re discussing with the Autopilot sound a lot like some of the issues that were fixed in the latest update in the default AP’s. Perhaps JF needs to implement some of those fixes.

I could swear I saw a mention somewhere of a fix being required or being implemented around certain actions activating the AP when it shouldn’t be…which it sounds like you are experiencing?

2 Likes

Hmm hard to tell. I’ll let JustFlight figure it out. Just not touching the autopilot knobs and switches prior airborne and then turning AP+HDG on first and then start dialing in NAV works fine for me for the time being.
My feeling is that the custom implementation of the Autopilot system might be buggy.

I provided them all I have to reproduce it with 100% repro-rate, hopefully they’ll find the issue.

2 Likes

This was definitely the case in previous versions of MSFS (don’t set the AP till in flight), Asobo even mentioned it in the release notes of one of the previous versions. I’m pretty sure they fixed that though, but, maybe not. If JF didn’t implement those changes and they wrote the AP themselves using the Asobo version as a template, then, there would likely be issues.

1 Like

Saw in the other thread that Carenado PA also has the same issue… Let’s hope it’s just a small change that they need to incorporate.
In a perfect world, Asobo/MS would share all that needs to be done with the 3rd party developers so they are aware of it…

I’ve been playing around with a SPAD profile if anyone wants to give it a go.

Just Flight Piper Arrow III.pln (104.8 KB)

Just save it out with the .xml file extension. I thought I had them all nailed, but for some reason the panel lights aren’t working. I can toggle them off, but not toggle them on.

Okay, this will probably be a dumb questions, but I’m going to ask anyway because I’ve been searching for a couple of hours and can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

When trying to set VOR 1’s course, the needle doesn’t deviate from the center line and never shows a to/from. I have nav1 tuned in, it displays on the dme on rmt setting, but not the VOR1.

I have the same channel tuned on the nav2 radio, and the VOR2 indicator works as I’d expect it to.

Am I doing something wrong? I’m using the G100 version.

Thanks in advance for any advice.