Asheville Regional Airport (KAVL) runway 17/35 is open, old runway 16/34 is closed

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Brief description of the issue:

A new runway 17/35 is open, and the old 16/34 is closed. The new runway is 8,001 feet in length. Nav-aid changes have been made too. Updated charts are available here:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/search/results/?cycle=2014&ident=kavl

Edit: Request #88982 has been submitted.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

N/A

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Ran into this as well. The nav data is updated, so it correctly points you to where the new runway SHOULD be (17/35) but the models still show that as being the closed 16/34. If I have time soon I’ll make a freeware improvement for just the runways, but eventually the entire airport will need to be redone as they’re expanding the terminal as well.

1 Like

My Zendesk ticket has been marked “Solved.” I guess we’ll see what happens with the next update…

1 Like

Can someone who knows how please check the ILS for runway 17 at KAVL (Asheville, NC, USA)?

It appears to be aligned with the taxiway, not with the runway. I had to break off the ILS approach and land visually to hit the runway.

THANKS!!!

Using 110.9 as a ILS LOC frequency?

Yes, 110.9.

I was flying a Diamond DA62 with the Garmin G1000.

I doubt changing aircraft would make a difference, might be worth a try but, Asobo issue.

I tried it in the 930, since it’s been pretty reliable on ILS approaches, when some of the airliners (in particular) seem to have issues with ILS approaches at some locations.
As you can see from the screenshot, you get aimed at the taxiway to the left of the runway (17).
On the world map, it appears the ILS icons are incorrectly slightly offset from the true centerline of the runway, which may cause this issue.
I checked the ILS/17 approach chart, and it’s not an offset approach for this runway.
You might report it through zendesk (support at the top of the page, then submit a request).
Regards

2 Likes

Great screen shot. I’ve had this happen at another airport, can’t remember where. I had to break off the ILS approach and hand fly. I wasn’t too concerned, not an airport I frequented, just wrote it off as another Asobo glitch. This makes two, for sure. Now I have to remember where the other is and I’ll report it. Wonder how many more of these there are out there…

1 Like

One of the reason why I got myself Navigraph subscription is so that the navaids like this are fixed to be lined up. I’m not sure about this specific airport, but I do know the default navaids and ILS are all off to the side and bring you to land in the taxiway or grass in the default airports all across China.

As soon as I subscribed to Navigraph and install the Navdata updates, all the ILS got corrected for the Chinese airports, and they all lined up with the runway properly.

1 Like

Hi gentlemen,
in this case the KAVL scenery in the sim is outdated. KAVL had changed the taxiway to the runway and the previous runway to a taxiway. Therefore the ILSs on both sides are on the taxiways in the sim.

Here the current/effective Jeppesen charts, where you see this change:

In the sim, it looks:

Comparing with the real-world charts you see, that the sim runway 17/35 is now the taxiway. The localizers are set correctly, also the loc courses but due the outdated scenery, you land currently on the taxiway.

I would recommend to report this to Asobo … as soon, as they have changed the current taxiway to the runway, the ILS approach will align perfect :wink:

Cheers,
Richard

8 Likes

THANK YOU ALL for all the additional information! I have submitted this to Zendesk (thanks, Habu2u2), and referenced this discussion to bring in all the additional information you’ve provided.

Until fixed, I guess I just won’t fly to Asheville in IMC.

BTW, Asheville is a great place to visit IRL. If you get there, don’t miss lunch at Salsa’s on Patton Avenue.

You might be waiting some time for that. I have tickets which are now maybe 8 months old for smaller problems than this, and last time I checked through them not one was resolved.

Clearly the nav data is much more current than the map data. It looks like KAVL was a work-in-progress when the satellites captured the airport images. This SHOULD be corrected with a satellite/map update whenever that will happen.

Meanwhile, looking at the approach plate, the minimums DH is high enough to see the incorrect alignment and sidestep or circle to the runway.

1 Like

I landed on the opposite end via an instrument approach in the Citation jet and same issue… definitely a scenery or outdated map issue as noted. PLEASE FIX!

1 Like

I hope the ILS will soon be corrected at KAVL, my favorite airport

Confirming that this is still an issue, as I was lined up with the taxiway on my approach into KAVL last night and had to manually fly it in visually. Hope it is fixed soon, or that a developer comes out with scenery that will fix the problem!

1 Like

I agree, 17/35 is misplaced West on Taxiway

I really wish this would get some attention - KAVL is the nearest airport to a POI (Biltmore Estate) and it’s just silly that its still rendered incorrectly.

Atlanta to Asheville with IFR conditions is a great flight.
Please fix the out of date ILS.

1 Like