Knobs freeze during long haul flight

Brief description of the issue:

Well I have experienced this many times but today seems to be the worst. I am flying from LAX to Tokyo Henada and I left my flight alone for a few hours to eat and do some errands. When I came back I would switch the knobs in the cockpit for example the range knob. And the nav display would zoom in and out just fine. But the knob for the zooming wouldn’t move at all. This happens with every switch and knob except the MCDU buttons. Like the seatbelt sign. I click it and here the ding but the knob won’t turn. Anyone else have this problem. I have had this before but it would fix itself within half an hour. Know it’s been hours since they work correctly. I have experienced this on the standard 747-8i and 787-10. Any help is appreciated.

`Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:’

First go into the standard 747-8i or 787-10 and set up a long haul flight.

Second fly for more than two hours without touching the sim.

Third come back and try to turn the knobs and switches. (Don’t try MCDU buttons they work fine the whole flight).

Common issue since launch. All you need is open up the ATC window (or any window from the top menu bar). And repeatedly click the title bar of that window to have it minimise and maximise a few times. Once you do that. Voila, your panels are now magically clickable.

Which button the little - button on the thing that closes the window but ■■■■ still there or the square with an arrow through it to maximize it.

@PianoMermaid375 I opened a ticket on this Dec 29th and now it says Solved. Perhaps the next update will fix this for both aircraft?

Ok hopefully it does because it is very annoying.

I tried that, didn’t work me.

1 Like

not on any of the icons on the window. Just on the ATC text on the title. Double click to minimise, double click again to open it. or move them around to drag it. There was a recording of someone doing it, but it’s probably get lost in the internet haystack somewhere.

Well it just started working again on its own. Just after I started my descent. So hopefully they will fix that soon cause I Like to do longer haul flights.

If that happens again try to also ALT+TAB out of the sim and go back in. sometimes if the sim is not considered as the “active” window, you can’t click any of the panels.

I am having the same problem in the 787 right now. I had this problem before, although not even the MCDU was working that time. The solution then was to open the ATC window and move it to the center of the screen, then close it. Although this has not worked this time. Strange cause the 787 was working fine for me for the past couple updates (and for most of this update).

UPDATE: I had a memory stick connected to the computer, I took this out and it appears to be working after a few minutes. Not sure if it was because of this though.

A frozen knob can de-gloss the whole flight experience.

What finally worked for me was turning off all AI for ATC, and assistance, and keeping the ATC window closed once you get to altitude. I’ve done 4 European to US flights in the 787 and 747 with no issues. Once I got to altitude I ignored ATC and you might have to file your IFR again in flight.

Hello,
I had the same experience for exactly the same reason! :joy:
This is not a problem, just forgetfulness. Don’t forget to use the de-icing switch on a flight like this. ANTI ICE (WING, ENG1, ENG2, PROBE / WINDOW HEAT) should be switched on in the overhead panel!
Greetings, OELTM

I am flying at the moment and the knobs are completely frozen. I can’t tell whether some of the lights are on or off unless I look at them from the outside :confused:

Happpened to me once in the A320. The buttons are operational, as I can see it’s active or inactive. It just doesn’t react anything on the panel itself.

But I wait about half an hour or so after that, and I heard a lot of multiple loud clickings at the same time, and the panel was operational again.

1 Like

Yep, problem is I’m doing a long haul and it hasn’t unstuck itself yet. I have no idea what could possibly trigger the issue or make it “unstuck”.

Weirdest fix ever, it works.

I have submitted a ticket and hopefully they will once again look into it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.