Knobs/Switches not clickable in bottom right corner (multi monitor setup)

I’ve searched on the forums and did not find any thread on this, so I wonder if I’m the only one facing this issue.

Since the first release of MSFS, I have the issue that I cannot use knobs/switches in the lower right corner of the screen. The cursor simply remains in the arrow shape instead turning to the hand icon and no tooltips appear. Clicking does not result in the knob/button switched/turned.
When moving my view a bit to the right so that the knob I want to operate is further to the center of the screen, it works fine.

It happens with ANY aircraft and happened with my old graphics card as well (it even was an AMD card) and did not change in any update, was there from the beginning.

By trying to move around the view and checking where I can or cannot click on switches, it seems like it’s not a rectangular shape but rather with some indents or so.
The size is roughly as the red area in this image and in many cockpits covers the MFD or autopilot switches:

Am I the only one having that issue? I have no overlays installed or anything and I wonder why that could be since seemingly noone else reported this issue.

In case it’s relevant, I’m running a two-screen setup (same screens with same resolution), MSFS running on the main screen but the taskbar is already moved to the secondary (I initially thought it might be due to that being in the background).
It also happens with no other relevant software running in the background.

Here’s the questionnaire in case it’s relevant.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
Tested without addons
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
Developer Mode on or off doesn’t make a difference
Brief description of the issue:
See above.
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Just try to operate any knobs/switches in the bottom right of the screen
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
Ryzen 3600XT
RTX 2080 8GB OC
16GB 3200Mhz RAM
Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
First release version
Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Windows Store
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

You are not alone…I have the same issue…I do also have a RTX2080 8GB, but I don´t believe it is the problem. I tried different drivers and get always this annoying issue!

1 Like

I have always experienced this issue myself.

Similarly I have a two monitor set up but I am not sure that this is a factor in this “feature” :crazy_face:

1 Like

Well, with only one display I don’t have this issue. So it seems to be a factor. I just don’t understand why that could be the case.

1 Like

I didn’t realise that when using one display the issue disappears. It seems then that it is a factor!

It might be worth filing a zendesk ticket on the issue.

I actually didn’t bother to do further tests so far but your reply made me think about the monitors.

My usual setup was:
Left monitor is primary display and MSFS usually runs on that one.
Right monitor is secondary and I use it for LNM, Browser etc.

So now I tried switching the left one to be secondary and manually moved MSFS after starting to the left display (Alt+Enter, move window, Alt+Enter) since it otherwise defaults to the primary one.
And the issue is gone, I can now use the bottom right without any issues. :face_with_monocle:

That’s weird, but maybe a workaround for you too.

I’ll see if it’s worth filing a Zendesk ticket, at least I have now a workaround just triggered by your input :smiley: Thanks!
@tamalien maybe you can give it a try and let me know if it solves the issue for you as well? Then I’d mark this as solution even though it’s a workaround.

EDIT: Opened ZenDesk ticket: #107589

I want to share some interesting news @Coppersens in response to your insightful post above!

I went to verify your findings as I too run MSFS on my main display and I wanted to test it on the secondary display to see if the issue was resolved.

I can confirm that when I followed your procedure to move MSFS to the secondary display the entire MSFS screen became “clickable” again and the 'blind spot" was gone.

However, when I also moved the sim back to the primary display then I found that the whole screen remained clickable.

I then exited MSFS and re-ran the sim. Once I loaded into a flight (on the main display) the issue has gone and the entire screen is again clickable…on the main display!

What I haven’t yet tried is a system reboot to see if this ‘fix’ has been retained.

It might be worth filing a zendesk ticket, describing your findings. You could also include a link to this forum thread in your bug report.

Thanks for helping me find a work around :upside_down_face:

Uhm interesting… Will give that a try to see how permanent these changes are across restarts.

I added the link to this forum post of course and a hint about a workaround (since this sometimes helps to identify the root cause).
Let’s see if they come up with a proper fix.

If the fix is permanent I’d be SO happy since moving the view to reach an already visible button did drive me nuts…

EDIT: Tried moving back to primary (original setup) and even after a Windows restart the issue is gone :slight_smile: I’ll create a dedicated post and mark it as a solution. Seems like maximizing it to another screen removed the issue permanently.

1 Like

That is pretty awesome news! Thanks again! I am also happy to have this issue gone from my list of annoying ‘features’ of MSFS :upside_down_face:

1 Like

So the (permanent!) solution seems to be simply:
When in MSFS:

• press Alt+Enter
  • move the MSFS window to the other screen
  • press Alt+Enter
  • press Alt+Enter
  • move the MSFS window back to your preferred screen
  • press Alt+Enter

@ega1018 maybe you can try this approach to verify that this is the easiest option without swapping primary displays etc.

1 Like

One year of hassle just took a few minutes to talk about and find a solution. If that’s not the best proof for a forum to work… :slight_smile: Happy landings!

1 Like

Now that it has been raised I’ve noticed the same problem, 2-screen setup and the bottom right corner of the MSFS display the icons don’t always work; as far as I can remember it’s always been like this.
To be honest I’ve not taken a lot of notice, just moved the view a little, but anyway started the sim to check it out. And waddayouknow, everything is working properly before I tried the “workaround”!

It may just be an occasional glitch so I’ll keep a note of the workaround to see if it happens again.

Strange… For me the issue was always there, I had no occasion where I did not have to move the camera for this reason.
But let us know if you again face it and whether the solution helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, pretty strange, it just came back, so it doesn’t seem to be working as a fix. Also switching the monitors did not help this time.
Very weird. I’ll try to map the area where clicking is not possible, maybe this gives a clue.

Thanks for your effort to fix this issue! I do also have a two-monitor set-up and this is certainly the common factor among us.
I tried the fix you suggested and until now it seems to work…but I am not too confident it will be a permanent fix as it makes no much sense…But I will report if anything changes.
Thank you.

1 Like

It is an intermittent fix for me as well… It hasn’t always stayed ‘fixed’ between sessions and sometimes just pressing alt+enter twice, strangely enough, has been enough to correct the issue for me (with a slight ‘wiggle’ of the windowed version before the second alt+enter).

1 Like

I’ll do more tests in the upcoming days to see if there is a condition where it doesn’t happen.
Do you all have the sim running on the left one of your two monitors? Or does it happen on the right monitor as well?

It’s very odd, I tried to mark the locations where I can or I can’t press buttons and it’s a totally irregular shape - not as I initially said a rectangle but rather some random shapes overlaying the clickspots. Moving the view slightly can already make a button accessible again while others further to the center aren’t.

I was always getting it in a separate location to your previously marked rectangle.

Usually it is to the right of my screen and more prevalently in the bottom right portion of that screen.

As to whether or not it is on the left or right monitor… for me it is my right hand monitor— but I think more significantly it is my ‘main’ display (which is my right hand monitor) rather than the secondary display.

I think we both experience this issue when MSFS is running full screen view on the main display.

Yeah, but I noticed that buttons very close the bottom and right borders are clickable, the non-clickable area starts a bit off the border (maybe 1cm).

Hmm, I was happy that it worked after resetting it back to the primary so I didn’t try to leave it on the secondary.
Will give that one a try as well.

So nothing worked for me. Leaving it on the secondary doesn’t help, after a restart it came back.

Today I got a new monitor with a higher resolution (QHD) and it seems like on that one the issue is gone. It seems to be somehow related to the screen arrangement.
Pretty weird. I’ll keep an eye out if it’s permanently gone with the new monitoring, but that’s not a solution anyway.

My Zendesk ticket got solved and they moved it to their internal bug tracker. Let’s see if they come up with a fix.
I’m out of ideas how we could work around it.